Honey&Bunny

Proof of bona fide marriage

14 posts in this topic

Good morning VJ friends,

I was wondering if a have enough proof of bona fide marriage to show when the time comes to finalize my process. I have our marriage certificate, letters from my family members and friends that live in the Dominican Republic as well as here in the USA. I have my boarding tickets of the trips that I have taken there, I have plenty of emails and conversations through Facebook and Whatsapp. I also have lots of pictures of us with my family. My entire family flew to the Dominican Republic for our wedding and there are lots of pictures of my husband with my parents, brother, sister and my daughter. We don't have a bank account do to the fact that we live in different countries and I don't have a steady job and we have an agreement about our finances until we start living together. What else can add? Do I have enough giving our circumstances? Any input will be highly appreciate it, thanks ☺️.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Your only "proof" is the marriage certificate; everything else is evidence. Evidence of time spent together in-person is your strongest evidence. Joint bank accounts are not required or expected, so don't worry about that.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Hi, if you have any remittances receipt from western union or the like, include them. You mentioned conversations over Facebook and whatsapp, do you have any phone logs? If so, include them too. Receipts from trips together, maybe your honeymoon, etc.

Your only "proof" is the marriage certificate; everything else is evidence. Evidence of time spent together in-person is your strongest evidence. Joint bank accounts are not required or expected, so don't worry about that.

Thanks for answering me. Due to our finances, I have only been able to stay for a short period of time when I go to visit him. I travel with my daughter who is 2 1/2 and it is completely and ridiculous expensive to travel with a toddler to the Dominican Republic. The first time that I went to visit him I stayed for 10 days (we used to date when I lived in the Dominican Republic). The second time I went, we got married and I stayed for 19 days, and the last time I went, I stayed for 10 days. The last two times I took my daughter and she got really sick both times (which ended up costing a fortune). I am really freaking out about not spending enough time together, but the reality is that we can't afford it. Do the consular officer understand that?

Hi, if you have any remittances receipt from western union or the like, include them. You mentioned conversations over Facebook and whatsapp, do you have any phone logs? If so, include them too. Receipts from trips together, maybe your honeymoon, etc.

I don't send him money because I am supporting my daughter on my own and we have an understanding about our finances while we are living apart. I don't have an official job. I work babysitting here and there. I am trying badly to get a job as a home attendant, but so far, it is a little difficult because of my daughter. In less than three years, I have visited my husband 3 times, but I have only been able to stay for a short period of time because of our financial situation. Do you think we have a chance? I am really nervous about it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The requirements for spending time together are that you met at least once in the last 2 years. You and your husband have spent much more time together than that!

My husband and I met, then he visited me 1 time and I visited him 1 time - then we met up in the states to get married. We had no problem at all. In fact, you have more evidence by way of pictures with family than we did! It is completely understandable to not have bank accounts/leases/cars in both of your names since you have not lived in the same place - they take that into account and it does not reflect negatively.

Here are the things I submitted and it was accepted -

Marriage cert, letters from family, pictures from the 3 times we were together in person, pictures from our ceremony (which was only us, no family/friends), boarding passes, emails, viber chat logs. I used a few as examples from different points in time - 1 email from when we first met, then basically 1 per month up until the time the I-130 was submitted. I added my husband as the beneficiary to my life insurance policy. The suggestions about adding in receipts for wedding, honeymoon etc is a really great idea.

Add a cover letter that explains the items you included and a brief summary of your story. It does not need to be a novel - but I suggest a timeline of different milestones in your relationship. Met, talked, realized you were in love, proposal, trips, when you met each others family, so on so forth.

Don't stress!!! You have good evidence of a bona-fide relationship per the requirements. Submit everything that you can - and if for some reason that is not enough, they will request more from you.

Best wishes! :)

s-event.png s-event.png
IR-1/CR-1 Visa : National Benefits Center NVC Received: 2014-01-08
Consulate : Montreal, Canada NVC Case Number: 2014-02-07
Marriage : 2013-02-22 Paid I-864 Bill: 2014-02-13
I-130 Sent : 2013-03-16 Sent I-864 Docs: 2014-02-14
I-130 NOA1 : 2013-03-20 Paid IV Bill: 2014-03-03
Trans. to NSC : 2013-11-05 Sent IV Docs: 2014-03-04
I-130 NOA2: 2013-12-16 Submitted DS-260: 2014-03-06

Case Complete 2014-03-21

Interview & APPROVED 2014-05-08

POE 2014-06-21

I don't send him money because I am supporting my daughter on my own and we have an understanding about our finances while we are living apart. I don't have an official job. I work babysitting here and there. I am trying badly to get a job as a home attendant, but so far, it is a little difficult because of my daughter. In less than three years, I have visited my husband 3 times, but I have only been able to stay for a short period of time because of our financial situation. Do you think we have a chance? I am really nervous about it.

I only visit my husband once a year and for 2 weeks because that is what money and time allowed, they only have a requirement for K1 visas, and as stated above once every 2 years. If you see the reviews for DR sometimes they won't ask for much other than wedding pictures and about family members. I think what you have compile seems good, even though i'm not there yet, I have basically the same thing including remittances for the wedding preparations, some receipts from resorts we visited, receipts from gifts, greeting cards and some congratulation cards we received for our wedding.

The requirements for spending time together are that you met at least once in the last 2 years. You and your husband have spent much more time together than that!

My husband and I met, then he visited me 1 time and I visited him 1 time - then we met up in the states to get married. We had no problem at all. In fact, you have more evidence by way of pictures with family than we did! It is completely understandable to not have bank accounts/leases/cars in both of your names since you have not lived in the same place - they take that into account and it does not reflect negatively.

Here are the things I submitted and it was accepted -

Marriage cert, letters from family, pictures from the 3 times we were together in person, pictures from our ceremony (which was only us, no family/friends), boarding passes, emails, viber chat logs. I used a few as examples from different points in time - 1 email from when we first met, then basically 1 per month up until the time the I-130 was submitted. I added my husband as the beneficiary to my life insurance policy. The suggestions about adding in receipts for wedding, honeymoon etc is a really great idea.

Add a cover letter that explains the items you included and a brief summary of your story. It does not need to be a novel - but I suggest a timeline of different milestones in your relationship. Met, talked, realized you were in love, proposal, trips, when you met each others family, so on so forth.

Don't stress!!! You have good evidence of a bona-fide relationship per the requirements. Submit everything that you can - and if for some reason that is not enough, they will request more from you.

Best wishes! :)

Wow! Thanks, now I can breath...

I only visit my husband once a year and for 2 weeks because that is what money and time allowed, they only have a requirement for K1 visas, and as stated above once every 2 years. If you see the reviews for DR sometimes they won't ask for much other than wedding pictures and about family members. I think what you have compile seems good, even though i'm not there yet, I have basically the same thing including remittances for the wedding preparations, some receipts from resorts we visited, receipts from gifts, greeting cards and some congratulation cards we received for our wedding.

Thanks, we really can't afford to go to resorts when I visit him. The last time I visited him was in May and my daughter got really sick. We ended up spending $30,000 pesos at La Plaza de La Salud. The doctors said she had Chikunguya virus. It was really scary.

Thanks, we really can't afford to go to resorts when I visit him. The last time I visited him was in May and my daughter got really sick. We ended up spending $30,000 pesos at La Plaza de La Salud. The doctors said she had Chikunguya virus. It was really scary.

You are welcome, my hubby actually has beginning signs of it, but hopefully its just a scare. Good luck.

You will be asked for marriages certificate in extensa and pictures, pictures is most important. Don't worry about resorts and stuff. How did you meet? How long have you known each other? How many people at wedding? You have what you need mama and staying confident and calm.

You will be asked for marriages certificate in extensa and pictures, pictures is most important. Don't worry about resorts and stuff. How did you meet? How long have you known each other? How many people at wedding? You have what you need mama and staying confident and calm.

Thanks and congratulations again. Did NVC send you the affidavit application or did you download it? Also, which visa application did you fill? DS-230 or DS-260? I am sooooooo confused right now. Can I fill those applications myself?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The requirements for spending time together are that you met at least once in the last 2 years.

Incorrect, there is no such requirement to file an I-130 to begin the spousal visa process. That requirement only applies to K1 visas.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Incorrect, there is no such requirement to file an I-130 to begin the spousal visa process. That requirement only applies to K1 visas.

Oops! Thanks for correcting that!

s-event.png s-event.png
IR-1/CR-1 Visa : National Benefits Center NVC Received: 2014-01-08
Consulate : Montreal, Canada NVC Case Number: 2014-02-07
Marriage : 2013-02-22 Paid I-864 Bill: 2014-02-13
I-130 Sent : 2013-03-16 Sent I-864 Docs: 2014-02-14
I-130 NOA1 : 2013-03-20 Paid IV Bill: 2014-03-03
Trans. to NSC : 2013-11-05 Sent IV Docs: 2014-03-04
I-130 NOA2: 2013-12-16 Submitted DS-260: 2014-03-06

Case Complete 2014-03-21

Interview & APPROVED 2014-05-08

POE 2014-06-21

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.