Shivacoco

Postal service lost EAD card. Have to reapply!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Has anyone had their approved EAD card go missing in the mail?

The tracking number for my approved EAD shows that it was 'delivered' on 12th July 2014. It wasn't. (the mailing address is correct) I have spent weeks chasing up the post office/consumer affairs who have been extremely unhelpful and sometimes downright rude. (That is another story, but how uncanny that I walk out of our apartment today only to see someone elses mail on the ground, who happens to live half a dozen apartments away, across the street?! )

After speaking with USCIS on the 15th July, I was told they would send out a new EAD, which should arrive within 30 days. I called them again today to see the progress, and was told that they don't do that and I was told the wrong information. Basically, I have to re-apply for a new EAD, which as we all know, can take up to 90 days. Plus, either we pay the fee all over again, or we can apply for a fee waiver...which takes 30-60 days!!! (I was tempted to just wait until greencard comes through..but the USCIS guy said it could take 12-18 months, despite me seeing other similar timelines being approved in around 6-7 months. Too risky to do that)

I am just wondering if someone else has had this frustrating experience? :ranting:

Has anyone had their approved EAD card go missing in the mail?

The tracking number for my approved EAD shows that it was 'delivered' on 12th July 2014. It wasn't. (the mailing address is correct) I have spent weeks chasing up the post office/consumer affairs who have been extremely unhelpful and sometimes downright rude. (That is another story, but how uncanny that I walk out of our apartment today only to see someone elses mail on the ground, who happens to live half a dozen apartments away, across the street?! )

After speaking with USCIS on the 15th July, I was told they would send out a new EAD, which should arrive within 30 days. I called them again today to see the progress, and was told that they don't do that and I was told the wrong information. Basically, I have to re-apply for a new EAD, which as we all know, can take up to 90 days. Plus, either we pay the fee all over again, or we can apply for a fee waiver...which takes 30-60 days!!! (I was tempted to just wait until greencard comes through..but the USCIS guy said it could take 12-18 months, despite me seeing other similar timelines being approved in around 6-7 months. Too risky to do that)

I am just wondering if someone else has had this frustrating experience? :ranting:

Have you gone up the chain at the Post office? Postmaster for your area? I realize that the USCIS is finally using trackable means to send out the EAD and GC, but it would sure be nice to have to go to the post office and sign for the package given the importance of it and that it can be used for ID theft. I would get the USPS to find the item go declare it lost so you can show that to the USCIS. If you do manage to get the USPS to declare it officially lost, make an INFOpass appointment to see about getting a new card re-issued with no fee.

Good luck,

Dave.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

That is awful. I'm waiting on mine in the post and this is my worst nightmare. How did you get the tracking number? Did you call the USCIS to get it?

My K-1 visa interview review: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=13931 Sorry for the grammar mistakes! I wrote this very quickly and am not able to go back and edit it!

My POE interview review: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php?trim=no&poe=JFK&page=1&dfilter=0

Native Northumbrian

100px-Flag_of_Northumberland.svg.png

Adopted New Yorker

100px-Flag_of_New_York_City.svg.png

Met in London, UK - 8th October, 2010

Fiancee moved back to NYC - October 2011

Two year long-distance relationship

I-129f sent - 10th September 2013

I-129f NOA1 - 24th September 2013

NOA2 - 18th October 2013 (so fast!!)

DS-160 sent - 14th November 2013

Readiness form submitted - 4th January 2014

Medical examination - 13th January 2014

Interview date - 11th February 2014

Visa approved!

Entered the US at JFK - 30th March 2014

Married! - 25th April 2014

Mailed AOS package - 8th May 2014

Recieved NOA for AOS - 12th May 2014

EAD/AP approved - 23rd July 2014

Received EAD/AP - 31st July 2014

Began working again! - 1st August 2014

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Fam.-based AOS to Fam.-based AOS Progress Forum~

~Inquiry about EAD replacement~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Have you gone up the chain at the Post office? Postmaster for your area? I realize that the USCIS is finally using trackable means to send out the EAD and GC, but it would sure be nice to have to go to the post office and sign for the package given the importance of it and that it can be used for ID theft. I would get the USPS to find the item go declare it lost so you can show that to the USCIS. If you do manage to get the USPS to declare it officially lost, make an INFOpass appointment to see about getting a new card re-issued with no fee.

Good luck,

Dave.

Thank you Dave. Seems the usps are really avoiding me...but I have plenty of time on my hands to chase them until I get some sort of help :P

Timeline

That is awful. I'm waiting on mine in the post and this is my worst nightmare. How did you get the tracking number? Did you call the USCIS to get it?

It is a nightmare :( The frustrating thing is that our mailbox is only able to be accessed by us and the usps...soooo they have made a huge mistake and are not wanting to take responsibility for it. They keep telling me it was delivered haha. USCIS sent me an email with the tracking number.

Good luck :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.