7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi all!

I just wanted to share some information about rescheduling the AOS interview. I read a lot of old posts on this forum and everyone really seemed to discourage trying to reschedule. Since people rarely write when things go well, I thought I'd share what I did.

About a month before the scheduled interview I sent a letter requesting to reschedule our interview to the local USCIS office. I explained my reasons (back home in Sweden, scheduled to work and that having to reschedule would result in loss of wages and airfare). I attached my employment contract with english translation and a copy of the interview notice.

About a week later I received a letter from the field office director at our local USCIS office that our request had been granted. The letter had two boxes: 1. "The above referenced interview will be rescheduled" and 2. "Your request to schedule has been denied for failure to demonstrate good cause." Which leads me to believe that attaching some kind of "proof" is important. Obviously it's almost impossible to know what they deem to be a "good cause" but if you want to take the chance/risk I think it's worth a try.

I sent my letter about a month before the scheduled interview and received the response from the local office a week later, however, USCIS did not update my case status and send a notice about the rescheduled interview until yesterday! So it took a while for NBC to respond as well. I was planning to call if I didn't receive a response from the local office, but since that came so quick I didn't worry about it!

I'm waiting for a new interview but requested it to not be before Sep. 1 so we may be waiting a while! It doesn't bother me though since I have the AP and EAD card.

I deemed it to be worth to take the chance/risk to reschedule despite the horror stories and it worked, however, I think everyone should weigh their options carefully. Still read the horror stories (as well as the positive ones!) -- then decide!

Good luck! :thumbs:

Our journey:

12/17/09 - Met for the first time!

03/07/10 - Officially became a couple

05/24/13 - Engaged

03/05/14 - Married! <3

AOS from F1:

04/02/14 - day 00 - 130 / I-485 / I-765 / I-131 sent via USPS

04/04/14 - day 02 - Arrival of AOS packet according to USPS tracking

04/13/14 - day 11 - Email/text receipt notification

04/14/14 - day 11 - Checks cashed

04/25/14 - day 25 - Biometrics appointment letter received (dated 04/16/14) for 05/13/14

05/01/14 - day 30 - Successful walk-in biometrics in Ft. Myers, FL

05/01/14 - day 30 - RFE (birth certificate)

05/23/14 - day 52 - RFE reply delivered

05/27/14 - day 56 - Status update: I-485 RFE response review

06/13/14 - day 73 - EAD/AP mailed
06/14/14 - day 74 - EAD/AP combo card delivered!

06/27/14 - day 87 - I-485 online status updated to Testing/Interview

07/10/14 - Received letter from local office that my interview reschedule request was granted

07/28/14 - Notice of rescheduled interview sent

10/07/14 - New interview notice received

11/25/14 - day 237 - Interview at St. Louis Field Office

11/25/14 - Status update: Card production ordered / welcome noticed mailed / I-130 approved!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi all!

I just wanted to share some information about rescheduling the AOS interview. I read a lot of old posts on this forum and everyone really seemed to discourage trying to reschedule. Since people rarely write when things go well, I thought I'd share what I did.

About a month before the scheduled interview I sent a letter requesting to reschedule our interview to the local USCIS office. I explained my reasons (back home in Sweden, scheduled to work and that having to reschedule would result in loss of wages and airfare). I attached my employment contract with english translation and a copy of the interview notice.

About a week later I received a letter from the field office director at our local USCIS office that our request had been granted. The letter had two boxes: 1. "The above referenced interview will be rescheduled" and 2. "Your request to schedule has been denied for failure to demonstrate good cause." Which leads me to believe that attaching some kind of "proof" is important. Obviously it's almost impossible to know what they deem to be a "good cause" but if you want to take the chance/risk I think it's worth a try.

I sent my letter about a month before the scheduled interview and received the response from the local office a week later, however, USCIS did not update my case status and send a notice about the rescheduled interview until yesterday! So it took a while for NBC to respond as well. I was planning to call if I didn't receive a response from the local office, but since that came so quick I didn't worry about it!

I'm waiting for a new interview but requested it to not be before Sep. 1 so we may be waiting a while! It doesn't bother me though since I have the AP and EAD card.

I deemed it to be worth to take the chance/risk to reschedule despite the horror stories and it worked, however, I think everyone should weigh their options carefully. Still read the horror stories (as well as the positive ones!) -- then decide!

Thank you for sharing!

Adjusting from F-1 visa

07-29-2014: AOS package (I-130, I-485, I-765) sent to Chicago lockbox via USPS express mail
07-31-2014: Package delivered at Chicago Lockbox and signed off by J.C.

08-04-2014: Received Text notifications and Receipt numbers

08-05-2014: Checks cashed

08-08-2014: Received paper NOAs by mail

08-16-2014: Received Biometric Appointment Letter for August 28, 2014 in the mail. (Notice Date: Aug 8 , 2014)

08-21-2014: Early walk in for biometric

08-28-2014: Biometrics appointment

10-10-2014: EAD card production ordered

10-15-2014: Case is ready for interview scheduling (Testing and Interview)

10-22-2014 (Day 84): EAD card received

10-24-2014: Received text/email update: Interview scheduled for December 3, 2014

12-03-2014 (Day 126): AOS Interview

12-03-2014: Received email update stating that new card has been ordered

12-11-2014 (Day 134): Green card in hand

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks for sharing, glad you were able to travel. I remember reading your concerns about not having your EAD/AP combo in time for your planned trip. Good luck in your interview and whenever it happens come and share your experience :)

dAdjusting from F1

05/21/14 Package sent via FedEX

05/23/14 (day 1) Package delivered Chicago Lockbox 10:29am signed by J.Chyba

05/29/14 (day 6) emal/txt message NOA1

06/03/14 (day 11) paper NOA1 arrived in the mail

06/07/14 (day 15) Biometrics notice in the mail/ appointment June 19, 2:00pm

06/19/14 (day 27) Biometrics done

06/26/14 (day 34) email notification I-485 case status "Testing and Interview"

07/18/14 (day 56) email/txt notification Interview letter was sent on the mail. Interview date 08/20/14

07/21/14 (day 59) hard copy in the mail for AOS interview date

08/05/14 (day 74) email/txt notification EAD card is in production (59 days after Biometrics)

08/08/14 (day 77) email/txt notification EAD card has been mailed

08/09/14 (day 78) EAD in hand (4 days after "card production" notification)

08/20/14 (day 89) AOS Interview -APPROVED!!! 2 hrs after interview received text/email notification "card in production". 5 hrs after interview received text/email notification I-130 has been approved/notice of permanent resident status has been registered

08/28/14 (day 97) NOA2/Welcome to USA notice arrived in the mail

08/28/14 (day 97) email/txt notification Green Card has been mailed with tracking # -sent priority mail 2-Day

08/29/14 (day 98) GREEN CARD in hand delivered at 1:17pm . Yes it is green! :dance::D:dance::D:dance::D:dance:

RoC

08/01/16 I-751 sent via USPS Express Mail

08/02/16 (Day 1) Package delivery confirmation USPS 10:17am PDT

08/04/16 (Day 3) Check cashed

08/06/16 (Day 5) NOA I-797 Received on the mail dated 08/02/2016

09/20/16 (Day 50) 45 days after receiving NOA -1yr permit extension- I filed service request to inquire about Biometrics appointment letter

09/29/16 (Day 59) Biometrics appointment letter received dated 9/24/16

10/11/16 (Day 71) Biometrics completed. *Also, received on the mail response letter from previous service request filed with copy of Biometrics appointment letter.

11/11/17 (Day 466) Case Status changed to New Card Production

11/16/17 (Day 471) Case Status indicate  New Card being sent on the mail .:dance::dance::D:dance::dance::dance:

11/17/17 (Day 472) I-797  Notice of Removal of Condition being approved received in the mail.

11/20/17 (Day 475/15 months 18 days) New Lawful Permanent Resident arrived in the mail; card in hand at last! :dancing:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Good report thanks.

{Day 0}     11/16/2017 N-400 submitted online

{Day 0}     11/16/2017 NOA mailed

{Day 02}   11/18/2017 Biometrics apt scheduled

{Day 20}   12/06/2017 Biometrics done

{Day 202} 06/06/2018 Interview Scheduled

{Day 207} 06/11/2018 Interview Letter received

{Day 238} 07/12/2018 Interview Day - Approved

{Day 242} 07/16/2018 Oath Scheduled

{Day 266} 08/09/2018 Oath Ceremony - I am a US Citizen!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello,

I'm glad to hear this update. I am in the middle of trying to reschedule and my experience has not been as smooth as yours.

I made a request to reschedule by phone on July 9th (interview scheduled for August 11th, I am out of the country on a business assignment). I followed up with a letter to my field office (Chicago) sent on July 16th. They received it on July 21st (signature on delivery), but I have not received any updates since then, other than an automated system notice on August 4th saying that "we have received your correspondence."

I've tried speaking to a Tier 2 officer and haven't been able to get a firm answer on whether they are expecting me to be there on Monday. I won't be there, as I'm overseas.

Anyway, there is nothing I can really do about this, but your story both encouraged me and also made me a little alarmed that you received a response from your field office so soon, and I haven't received anything from mine despite starting this reschedule request process almost a month ago.

What is your local field office?

Hi all!

Here is my rescheduling experience:

I called USCIS # right after I received interview letter for March 19th.I was told they will send request to the local office and I should have response in within 2 weeks.After 2 weeks I made another call since I never got any response and I was told the same thing like on my 1st call.

-After 10 days I received letter saying that my request has been received and local office will follow up with a new date.

-7 days later I received same letter for response on my 1st call.

-On the actual interview date I decided to go to the local office just to make sure they got it all right in their system.Lady at the check in desk for the interviews told me I have to write the letter explaining why I need rescheduling which I did right away.

-6 days later same letter came in saying I'll be informed when a new date becomes available.

-Finally,125 days after my original interview date,a letter with a new interview date came in.Interview scheduled for Sept 19th.

Good luck to you all.

11/26/2013 : I-130 received at Chicago Lockbox
12/06/2013 : NOA hard copy received
01/23/2014 : Email/Text received - I-130 transferred to the local office

12/30/2013 : AOS package received at Chicago Lockbox
01/03/2014 (day 1) : NOA date
01/06/2014 (day 3) : Check cashed in
01/14/2014 (day 11) : Biometrics letter received for 01/27/2013
01/15/2014 (day 12) : NOA 1,2 hard copies received
01/17/2014 (day 14) : Walk-in biometrics successful at Varick st,NYC
01/28/2014 (day 25) : Case Update to Testing&Interview
02/12/2014 (day 40) : text/email-Interview scheduled for March 19th(will have to reschedule it)

03/04/2014 (day 60) : text/email I-130,131,765 - mailing address changed ( system error,I never requested address change )<p>
03/07/2014 (day 63) : text/email EAD card in production

03/10/2014 (day 66) : text/email EAD card in production ( same email 2nd time )

03/13/2014 (day 69) : text/email EAD card has been mailed out

03/14/2014 (day 70) : EAD received !!!

01/21/2014 : I-131 received at Chicago Lockbox(it was sent separately)
02/01/2014 : NOA received (notice date 01/27)
02/03/2014 : text/email I-131(AP) approved
02/06/2014 : text/email I-131 document production
02/10/2014 : AP hard copy received

07/27/2014 : NOA received for rescheduled interview/new date 09/17

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

And here's my rescheduling experience:

- status changed to T&I on February 18th

- received notice in July of interview date on August 11th

[out of country July 16th - August 31st for business]

- sent hard copy letter to local office, with proof of business trip (flight itinerary, letter from employer, cover letter explaining circumstances) on July 14th

- online status changed on August 4th to say "We received your correspondence re. I-485"

- then radio silence until August 27th - I rang multiple times, spoke to both CSR and Tier Two, got conflicting information, basically told it "should" be OK (made me nervous)

- got back on August 31st to find a letter in the mail, postmarked August 27th, from the local office (Chicago) saying interview is on September 4th

- online system not updated - i.e. if you are waiting to hear from a local office about rescheduling, don't assume you'll get notice of new interview date through online system. I only got mine in the mail - no email, call or other notification.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.