epsonderby

VWP after surrendering Green Card

15 posts in this topic

I'm just in the process of surrendering my Green Card to the American embassy here in London. Sadly my marriage didn't work out. Hey ho!

I completed my AOS from VWP when in the US, back in December 2012. Is there a way to know if I'm ineligible to use the VWP again? or whether I need to apply for a B-2 visa to visit the US again in the future?

11/29/12 - AOS Interview in Atlanta - 10 minutes long and approved on the spot.

ROC in 2014!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As long as you did not overstay and get a go from ESTA should be OK.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I surrendered my green card in January this year to the US Consulate in Frankfurt. My mom is sick and I had to return to Germany. My husband is going to live with me here. So I asked the consular officer if I could visit the US unter the VWP again. He first asked me if I ever had any problems with the law. I said no and he said in this case I should just make sure that I have enough binding ties to Germany. You will have to fill in form I-407 and they will give you a stamped copy of this form as receipt. You should take it with you when you travel to the US cause the IO might want to see it. So far I haven't tried it yet and I admit I feel a little nervous about entering the US again, especially with my husband still living there. But eventually I will have to go in order to help him pack our stuff. I just hope that everything will go smoothly.

Because love has no borders...

As long as you did not overstay and get a go from ESTA should be OK.

I can't remember if I sent the paperwork before the 90 days expired, or after? Is there a way to find out online, via the USCIS? or over the phone?

ROC in 2014!

Timeline

I take it that you did not keep your paperwork?

The date that matters would be the NOA1.

Do not know how you would get a copy, FOIA?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

My NOA1 date is 4 days after I should have left on the VWP. B-2 Visa it is then :)

ROC in 2014!

Timeline

If you do not have any immediate pans then I would wait before applying, will look better the longer you have been out.

Sadly you are now ineligible to use the VWP for life.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Sadly you are now ineligible to use the VWP for life.

Nothing to be sad about, It's not a big issue to apply for a B-2, and it has the added benefit of being able to stay up to 180 days if I want to do some touring in the future :)

ROC in 2014!

Timeline

I was going to add the same, pluses and minuses.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Nothing to be sad about, It's not a big issue to apply for a B-2, and it has the added benefit of being able to stay up to 180 days if I want to do some touring in the future :)

I hate to be a downer but you face an uphill struggle to be approved for a B2.

You abused the VWP privilege

You have shown immigrant intent (even though you voluntarily returned home)

That's not saying that you won't be approved, but you will have more to prove to the CO of your reasons to return to the UK.

I've been denied three times at London so far.

It's not as simple as applying for it and getting it.

Good luck, maybe I'll see you at London when I go for a fourth denial sometime in the near future.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Timeline

Your situation is different, I have seen similar scenarios which worked out.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Like I said, nothing says it won't be approved, it'll just be a little harder than it would be for someone who hadn't overstayed.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Like I said, nothing says it won't be approved, it'll just be a little harder than it would be for someone who hadn't overstayed.

I'm not too concerned. I spoke to the Embassy today and they mentioned that it is a simple process. Apply for the B-2 and go from there. I asked about the 3 days I overstayed and they said that it only really becomes an issue when the overstay is over 180 days, but that would be raised when speaking with the Officer on the day. Ultimately, they make the decision and I'll follow any guidance given to me at the time.

I also know that having all the visas in the world means nothing until you've gone through POE. They would be well within their rights to refuse entry, although having the stamped I-407 should prove that there isn't any immigration intent and if they are SUPER concerned, they can annotate the passport with 'CANNOT IMMIGRATE ON THIS VISA' or something similar, from what the email from the Embassy said today.The embassy have been pretty good and responded very quickly, saves spending $$$ ringing the phone line!

This abuse thing of the VWP comes up on here a lot. I didn't abuse it. I had a change of circumstances that were judged by the lawful powers that be in the US to be within the spirit of the AOS process, regardless of what others may think.

Nothing more to be said other than I will report back on my progress and how I find POE when I get around to travelling...

ROC in 2014!

Timeline

Do not worry about a stamp, legally it is meaningless.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.