seekingknowledge

I-94; second interview

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

1) are I 94 available through land border crossing from Mexico on weekends?

2) when you cross is the fiancée given a second interview?

3) I heard that "border officer" may want to see wedding plans, is this true? Do I need additional evidence?

Do you mean your fiance is doing her POE throught the border? Because if so she can enter at any POE and it wouldn't really be a second interview they ask the same questions they would at any POE. Where you intend to live and stuff like that. Your wedding plans were already proven when they issued your K1 so you shouldn't have to prove anything else at this point because everything you submitted would be in your visa package for the CBP officer to see. Also as for the i-94 they are supposed to have them at all POE's and at all times.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The first response that you received was incomplete.

1) If you're planning to make POE by land, and especially on a weekend, it's crucial that you call ahead to your intended port of entry -- information found here -- http://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/tx -- and let them know when you plan to cross, so that they can have adequate personnel on hand!

I've been across most of the Tex-Mex POEs. CBP can be incredibly busy on weekends, and, depending on the port, the agents might be overworked, hassled, and hot. They'll appreciate it no end if you call ahead, ask for the shift supervisor, explain that you intend to make POE with the K-1 during a certain window of time on a certain day, and ask if they will (or can) have someone available to process the package without disrupting their other operations. They'll probably be blown away by your courtesy, in fact. If your intended time of entry isn't great for them, they can either make adjustments or suggest a different window of time during which you could enter.

2) The CBP agents at POE can ask absolutely anything that the consulate asked you. The beneficiary can be refused entry, but this is quite rare, because CBP figures that the consulate has recently investigated the beneficiary pretty thoroughly. The foregoing information came from an immigration attorney whom I asked when we had the same question.

3) Either volunteer this or respond with it if asked: "We're aware of the requirements and intend to marry within 90 days of ____'s (beneficiary's) entry into the U.S."

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

TboneTx, thanks for the reply. I checked the link you gave me and I do not find the san ysidro border crossing california. I did find there number it is difficult to get someone on the phone. I was unsuccessful.

I did visit fiancée a few weeks ago and I ask a guard at the border and he told me where to go. He did not mention appointment. Don't know if he forgot or is not necessary. Anything else? Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You will get a paper I-94. The land border crossings are not yet automated. Last I knew the fee was $6.

Info on the crossing you plan to use > http://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/san-ysidro-class

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.