13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

What i don't understand is that they are asking for more proof of commingling of assets and communal residence from the date of marriage to present. The officer should know that my wife and i were married in mexico and she came over when she got her conditional green card so we don't have proof of living together until about 10 months after we got married. I originally sent the tax returns for the last 3 years and copies of our lease agreements showing we are both living together along with an affidavit from my father who works in the federal government.

the only thing i can think of sending is more photos with dates? a statement from our electric utility company and a bank statement showing we are on the same account.

what do you guys think? i am sending the packet back on Wednesday,

You have to show stuff from the whole marriage. You have no proof of marriage from before she came to the US? No plane tickets, no joint bank account, no money being sent?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

You need to send in financial statements spanning your entire 2 years of marriage not just 1 bank statement only.

Example every 3 or 4 months of joint bank accounts statements, utility bills, cell phone bills, medical insurances listing each other as emergency contact ... etc

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Timeline

i already sent them the information on our marriage when we applied for the CR-1, do i really need to sand that all over again? and my wife is only on the utility bill not on cell phones or anything else. we have Medi-Cal so everything comes seperate, i have her listed on my car insurance so ill be sending a few declarations pages with the return as well as tax transcripts that show a history. the bad side on the bank account is that it also just shows her name and not mine... plus its all in spanish so i would have to have it all translated $$$ that i dont have

i already sent them the information on our marriage when we applied for the CR-1, do i really need to sand that all over again? YES and my wife is only on the utility bill not on cell phones or anything else. we have Medi-Cal so everything comes seperate, i have her listed on my car insurance so ill be sending a few declarations pages with the return as well as tax transcripts that show a history. the bad side on the bank account is that it also just shows her name and not mine... plus its all in spanish so i would have to have it all translated $$$ that i dont have

Yes, you need to send in that stuff again.

If you had a joint account in Mexico then you should send the proof. She can translate it.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

Yes, you need to send in that stuff again.

If you had a joint account in Mexico then you should send the proof. She can translate it.

we didnt have a joint bank account mexico, you cant have an american citizen on a mexican bank account... per BANORTE... we tried a whole bunch of banks too... the bank account here in the states with chase just has her name ....

You said you had a joint bank account all in spanish, where is that from?

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Did you look at the instructions form of the I-751? It clearly states the type of evidence you should have collected and provided. THE APPLICANT is responsible for proving the legitimacy of the marriage (after the initial issuance of the green card) as residency is merely conditional. You thought you had nothing to prove since getting the green card? "They should have known..." No. YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN more about the application process and its requirements.

Now that you have an RFE you need to look through other posts and see what evidence other people have submitted. This will help you gather evidence for your RFE. Good luck!

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

Filed: Timeline

What i don't understand is that they are asking for more proof of commingling of assets and communal residence from the date of marriage to present. The officer should know that my wife and i were married in mexico and she came over when she got her conditional green card so we don't have proof of living together until about 10 months after we got married. I originally sent the tax returns for the last 3 years and copies of our lease agreements showing we are both living together along with an affidavit from my father who works in the federal government.

the only thing i can think of sending is more photos with dates? a statement from our electric utility company and a bank statement showing we are on the same account.

what do you guys think? i am sending the packet back on Wednesday,

A letter from the bank showing that you and your wife share the same account will work.. I am kind of confused since here you are saying that you have a joint bank account together and on your later post you are saying that you dont.. A joint bank account is an account that shows both of your names. In your case, I would double check with your bank. Also you can add copies of your credits cards that you have together.

As of more evidence, I would suggest getting more notarized affidavits from the people who know you and your wife. Also State Identification cards or driver licenses showing the same address are good proof for the communal residence.

And yes...send like 30 pictures with family members (don't forget to write the dates and the names of the people in the pics)

I will say that just send like 5 bills from your electric utility company for year. ---that will help!

Edited by phasesofthemoon

Timeline

for the guy who criticized me for not reading the instructions can buzz off because i did, hence why i stated that i sent proof of tax returns and copies of our tenant agreements, yes we have a joint bank account with Chase but the statements are in spanish because my wife preferred that when she opened the account. i know i have to prove it after getting the green card i was just suprised that i got an RFE after i FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS INDICATING COMMINGLING OF ASSETS AND COMMUNAL RESIDENCE.... if i wanted someone to talk down to me and try to make me feel like an idiot for "not reading the instructions" i wouldn't have posted a question. i am done and i am no longer responding here, moderater close this thread

This "woman" has no problem with the thread being closed. I hope you took my and the other posters' advice.

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

Some people can be really nasty which is why I usually don't bother asking questions on sites like these, I do my own research. As for your situation, it really depends on the officer you get because some of them are really stupid if you ask me. It's obvious that a couple isn't going to have joint anything, if they are not physically living together after being married. You could get married today, and your spouse may not immigrate until a year later or even longer. How are you "supposed" to have joint assets and what not if your spouse hasn't moved to the US yet because of the unnecessarily lengthy immigration process? The best you can provide are joint tax returns, as well as joint utility bills and bank accounts, which you already did. They cannot require you to have documents that you are unable to get, especially when you can prove the legitimacy of your marriage via other ways. Your best bet is to speak to an immigration lawyer, a good one, because if you don't send in the "right" stuff you may get denied and the appeal process is even worse.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It's such a shame when people look down their noses at others who've made a mistake. People don't post threads asking for help to be judged - they just want help.

Send literally anything you can get your hands on which show that you share an address and bank account. Photos and things like that do not hold as much water. Of course they can help, but only if there is strong primary evidence as a foundation. Start with your marriage certificate and go from there.

Were your tax returns filed as "married filing jointly"? If so, send those again in their entirety - federal and state - plus any W-2s and supporting documents needed for it. You can also get your tax transcripts from online: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript ... You just have to make an account and you're good to go.

I'm in the same boat as you, RFE for more co-mingling and co-residence, basically. I'm sending entire returns (from 2010 when we were married to 2013) plus transcripts.

Does she receive mail? Use mail she gets that shows your current address ... not junk mail, but from a government body (DMV, USPS, your county, etc). If she has her driver's license, a copy of the front and back of that can be included as well.

You should be able to access bank statements on your bank's website if you don't get hard copies sent to you. Is she added to your account? Those statements are great evidence for co-mingling as well as co-residence. If she's working, you could also try and get a hold of her pay stubs or something which shows if her money is being direct deposited into your joint account.

My RFE package is a solid inch thick at this point. I regret not thinking this in depth about it when I originally sent me ROC package, but at least we have the opportunity to make it right! Take the time to gather as much as you need ... don't rush to send it off if you still have time, and you feel like you need more for it.

Best of luck!

** I realized I didn't read your second post in the comments and that I mentioned somethings you already know about.

Edited by Gervl

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.