Ryan76

We want to have my wife's mom come visit

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My wife and I got married 2 years ago with the K-1 visa. For a while there i was filling out paperwork and going through the process and familiarizing myself with the visa process on a daily basis. Now it's been a couple years since I even thought about that stuff, and it's time to start again.

I'm just wondering if there's any advice, or a step by step list of instructions for the best way to get everything done. We just have a lot of questions. We'd like to get visas for her mom, brother and sister to come visit for a few weeks. Probably her mom first, then a year or so later her brother and sister. Would it be beneficial to turn in all the paperwork together at the same time? We would be paying for her mom's expenses while she is here on vacation...so would we need to do an affadavit of support? So sponsor letters help in this situations? Does her mother turn in the paperwork in her home country at the US embassy or do we turn it in here for her?

I know the government is wary of people who come here and never leave. We aren't doing anything nefarious and have nothing to hide....just would like for her mom (and possibly brother and sister) to come visit to see where my wife lives and meet the rest of my family.

Can any one help me out with a link to a step by step process, or some type of checklist we can print off?

Anything would be much appreciated

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife and I got married 2 years ago with the K-1 visa. For a while there i was filling out paperwork and going through the process and familiarizing myself with the visa process on a daily basis. Now it's been a couple years since I even thought about that stuff, and it's time to start again.

I'm just wondering if there's any advice, or a step by step list of instructions for the best way to get everything done. We just have a lot of questions. We'd like to get visas for her mom, brother and sister to come visit for a few weeks. Probably her mom first, then a year or so later her brother and sister. Would it be beneficial to turn in all the paperwork together at the same time? We would be paying for her mom's expenses while she is here on vacation...so would we need to do an affadavit of support? So sponsor letters help in this situations? Does her mother turn in the paperwork in her home country at the US embassy or do we turn it in here for her?

I know the government is wary of people who come here and never leave. We aren't doing anything nefarious and have nothing to hide....just would like for her mom (and possibly brother and sister) to come visit to see where my wife lives and meet the rest of my family.

Can any one help me out with a link to a step by step process, or some type of checklist we can print off?

Anything would be much appreciated

You are very confused about the tourist visa process. You aren't involved at all other than offering advise.

The person wanting the visa files for it beginning with finding the info and application on the embassies web site. The most important aspect is the strongest ties rule. This means the person must prove beyond doubt they MUST return. These cases are often decided before the person steps up to be interviewed so the important info must be submitted early.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

The process is very easy, and i'll tell you what i did before. I filled all necessary forms, i scheduled an appointment for my mother at the embassy, my mom paid the visa fee and had her interview they ask her how long she is going to stay and where she is staying and they asked her if she works she said she is retired, and next day they gave her a 10 years visa.

I sent an affidavit of support and invite letter to my mother, but the officer didn't look at them at all.

so basically you are not involved at all your mom's wife need to proof that she will not stay when she visit.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The process is very easy, and i'll tell you what i did before. I filled all necessary forms, i scheduled an appointment for my mother at the embassy, my mom paid the visa fee and had her interview they ask her how long she is going to stay and where she is staying and they asked her if she works she said she is retired, and next day they gave her a 10 years visa.

I sent an affidavit of support and invite letter to my mother, but the officer didn't look at them at all.

so basically you are not involved at all your mom's wife need to proof that she will not stay when she visit.

Is the form for affadavit of support the I-134? And would we then send that to her mother (along with the sponsor letter) to turn in at the embassy when she submits her visa application?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You do not sponsor a tourist visa and it is much better that she shows she can pay her own way.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Is the form for affadavit of support the I-134? And would we then send that to her mother (along with the sponsor letter) to turn in at the embassy when she submits her visa application?

How did you feel when you read the contents of the link supplied in post #2 ?

I know how I felt, when I read it. How did you feel ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

It is a huge mistake to send any support form or to get involved in the application process directly.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How did you feel when you read the contents of the link supplied in post #2 ?

I know how I felt, when I read it. How did you feel ?

I have never read it before.

Like the vast majority of people who post it would seem.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

As i mentionned before, it is not necessary to send the affidavit of support, but i just sent it to my mother, and she did not have any issues and she was issued a visa next day.

Its not only not necessary its a very bad idea. You should stop advising people to do this. Your mother got lucky especially because its Morocco where B 2s are very hard to obtain. Then again as you said they ignored it anyway so why do it? This is where she got lucky because if they had acknowledged the support form she probably would have been denied. Sending support forms makes it look like the tourist needs support because they are going to stay long enough to need support.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

They have to apply and be approved on their own merits. They need to show strong ties to their home country proving they will indeed return. You do not sponsor them, and an invitation letter does nothing to help. There is also no such thing as an affidavit of support for a tourist visa. Read the step by step guides above and you will understand the process. Good luck

As i mentionned before, it is not necessary to send the affidavit of support, but i just sent it to my mother, and she did not have any issues and she was issued a visa next day.

there is no such thing as an affidavit of support for a tourist visa. Not only is it not necessary, it isn't possible.

Filed: Timeline

BS when i applied for my tourist visa (im the wife f a USC) they didnt care if i worked or anything ..asked 2 questions about MY HUSBAND, how long you been married? how much your husband makes a year?

and visa was approved

i have no income, come from a very poor country and we haven't been married for long either!

so YES they gave me a visa because of my husband paying for my trip..

Filed: Timeline

BS when i applied for my tourist visa (im the wife f a USC) they didnt care if i worked or anything ..asked 2 questions about MY HUSBAND, how long you been married? how much your husband makes a year?

and visa was approved

i have no income, come from a very poor country and we haven't been married for long either!

No, they approved the visa based on your husband supporting you, not because he was paying for the trip-- you DO have an income...it's supplied by your husband. Obviously, when a spouse does not have paid employment outside the home or for minor children, they look at the income stream for the family. That does not mean the visa is approved based on who is paying for the trip. It means that based on your marriage, your ties to another country, and your husband's financial support, they believed you would not stay in the US.

Timeline

and visa was approved

You don't indicate what country you are from which certainly affects the outcome. In fact many embassies will not grant a B 2 if the applicant is married to a USC. If that is the case the immigrants ties are stronger to the husband therefore if the USC husband is in the USA there may be little reason to return.

You weren't granted a tourist visa because your husband paid for the trip. You simply got lucky.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.