Tee and Megan

Allowing ourselves to dream; Buying his ticket to the U.S.

14 posts in this topic

Hi all!

So I know the CARDINAL rule of VJ (which we have followed faithfully thus far) is that you don't make ANY plans until the visa is in your hand.

However, with still 74 days to go until I fly to Cambodia for his interview, we're both starting to feel a bit stir crazy.

To distract ourselves, we are planning. Just a little bit. We're not buying anything, we're not setting anything in stone. But we're letting our selves dream about what we will do if/when that approval comes.

VJers, how have you handled buying that plane ticket to the U.S.? I already have my returning flight from Cambodia after his interview booked, and by the time we get to the interview, I am certain that a seat on that flight will be too expensive for us to afford.

But I've read about fiance(e)s who fly to the U.S. after the interview together. How are people doing that? When do you book the flight? Or if your fiance doesn't fly back with you, when have you all been scheduling them to leave?

I usually book my tickets to Cambodia (not that I've gone so many times) at least three months in advance, but we definitely don't want to wait that long after the interview to book his flight over here.

Any advice? Thanks everyone!!

All that we are and all that will be we dedicate to the One who brought us together

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

Petition sent: 03/27/2014

Interview date!!! 10/06/2014

AOS:

Packet received at Chicago Lockbox: 2/2/2015

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

Green card received!! 09/24/2015

ROC: 

I-751 sent off to CSC: 7/25/2017

NOA1: 7/27/2017

Filed Inquiry into Biometrics status: 9/18/2017

10 Year Green Card Approved!!! 10/22/2018

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I don't know what the chances of AP in Cambodia are like but, if this is a possibility, then you really shouldn't book flights until he has his visa. Not trying to be negative but I've seen AP stretch to a year or more before and it would be horrible to lose all that money on a flight he can't use.

Filed: Timeline

I agree with bunnygirl. It would not be wise to make plans right away. I can understand your economic concerns but i will suggest you to wait before making any plans. I got stuck on AP. I nearly made plans as well. The thing about AP is you never know when!!

K1

I-129F form sent : 28th April 2014

NOA 1 : 6th May 2014

NOA 2 : 14th May 2014

NVC Recieved: 28th May 2014

NVC Sent: 29th May 2014

Consulate Recieved: 3rd June 2014

Packet 3 Recieved: 16th June 2014

Packet 3 Sent : 18th June 2014

Medical Exam: 18th June 2014

Packet 4: 19th June 2014

Interview: 1st July 2014

When the moment comes for me, I plan to buy a one way ticket to Dominican Republic for his interview. Once approved and visa on hand I will buy two one way tickets back to NYC. I want to come back with him and experience his first time getting on a plane!!! :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think it's just one of those things you either risk or bite the bullet and pay whatever it takes for him to get here. You literally cannot predict the outcome or the amount of time he may receive his visa in hand after the interview. It would definitely be worse to risk it and lose a fare, and then pay for another fare than to just pay a more expensive than normal fare one time. I guess you can look it like this, assuming you don't buy the ticket in advance and wait until he has his visa in hand: yes, it would be cheaper to buy the tickets 3 months in advance, but is it worth it to pay more so I can have him sooner? (yes, totally!!).

K-1

I-129F NOA1 => NOA2: 161 days

NOA2 => Interview: 64 days

AP: 33 days

Total: 258 days

AOS

I-485 NOA => GC: 333 days

No Interview

ROC

07/30/2017: Package Sent

08/01/2017: NOA

09/07/2017: Biometrics

12/04/2018: Approved! 490 days

A lot of people simply wait to come back with their spouses if they can but most buy either last minute tickets or buy them a decent time out after visa is recieved. Also you can look at the cost to change a ticket (often $150 plus any higher ticket price) or buying a flexible ticket that allows someone to change their date easily.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Hi all!

So I know the CARDINAL rule of VJ (which we have followed faithfully thus far) is that you don't make ANY plans until the visa is in your hand.

However, with still 74 days to go until I fly to Cambodia for his interview, we're both starting to feel a bit stir crazy.

To distract ourselves, we are planning. Just a little bit. We're not buying anything, we're not setting anything in stone. But we're letting our selves dream about what we will do if/when that approval comes.

VJers, how have you handled buying that plane ticket to the U.S.? I already have my returning flight from Cambodia after his interview booked, and by the time we get to the interview, I am certain that a seat on that flight will be too expensive for us to afford.

But I've read about fiance(e)s who fly to the U.S. after the interview together. How are people doing that? When do you book the flight? Or if your fiance doesn't fly back with you, when have you all been scheduling them to leave?

I usually book my tickets to Cambodia (not that I've gone so many times) at least three months in advance, but we definitely don't want to wait that long after the interview to book his flight over here.

Any advice? Thanks everyone!!

I bought a round trip ticket for my then fiancee as it was about $1200 cheaper than a one-way ticket--the return leg was 89 days after she arrived. I also played the game of booking the tickets for tomorrow, next week and over a month from the booking date. The prices were all the same. Most international flights the fares are based on what season you fly and not when you book the ticket--unlike here in the US.If you do buy a RT ticket, please cancel the return part before its departure date to avoid any undue complications the airlines can cause if they sell the seat and fail to remove him from the manifest.

So I would see how the time from booking to the flight date affects the ticket price and once he has his visa you can book his ticket. Some high credit card fraud countries require a copy of the CC or other proof that the ticket was purchased by someone else, but the traveler was authorized to accept that ticket. That was not an issue for us on Lufthansa. I have also noticed that flying RT FROM the US is more expensive than flying RT TO the US from Almaty and that prices drop after September 15th until Christmas and go back up for the summer travel season in May.

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I bought my ticket Sydney, Australia - Pittsburgh, USA 3 days after my interview/1 day after I received my passport and visa. It's best to hold off on buying these things until you have his passport back in hand with the visa! Although, I am a bit superstitious and I didn't want to buy my ticket before being approved just to avoid jinxing myself ;):P

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

There is no way to tell. My fiance stayed with me 7 more days after the interview, and 5 days later I got the visa. Yes it would have been great to travel back to the US together, but personally I needed time to get things in order here, and other things like having my last checks with my doctors and gather my medical history, cancel credit cards, etc. So in a way, it has been good the extra month I took here at home with my mother, knowing that I may not be able to see her in several months unless if its an emergency which I don't want it to be that way, no one does.

Also, like DaveRoza said, ticket's prices changes, buying a ticket to leave in a couple of days it will be more expensive than buying that ticket 15-20 days before if money is an issue.

Good Luck!

10/08/2014 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

10/16/2014 - NOAs:

11/18/2014 - Bio. Appointment

11/25/2014 - AOS Update (Ready for Interview)

12/30/2014 - EAD Approved (Card in production)

12/30/2014 - AP Approved

01/06/2015 - EAD/AP Card Mailed

01/07/2015 - EAD/AP Card Received

01/14/2015 - AOS Update (Interview scheduled)

02/18/2015 - AOS Interview (Approved!)

02/18/2015 - AOS Updated (Card is being produced)

02/19/2015 - Welcome Notice Mailed

02/24/2015 - Welcome Notice Received

02/24/2015 - Card mailed

02/27/2015 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

12/27/2016 - ROC filed (California Service Center)

12/28/2016 - NOA

01/08/2017 - Bio. Appointment Notice received

01/25/2017 - Bio. Appointment done.

12/12/2017 - I-551 Stamp on passport

06/12/2017 - "Approval Notice" DHS website (notice mailed)

06/12/2018 - Card in production

06/16/2018 - Approval Notice/Notice of Action received in the mail.

06/19/2018 GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

Filed: Timeline

I bought a return ticket (much cheaper than a one-way) last week to fly this week - three weeks after I had my visa in-hand.

You might think that you are relieving your anxiety by buying the ticket, but another way to look at it is that you're actually giving yourself extra stress by adding another deadline to your process. A process over which you have no real control.

That said, if you really feel you must buy a ticket, I'd go with the suggestion to buy a ticket that is flexible. But do your research to estimate the average time period between interview and visa in-hand for the specific embassy where your interview will be held - recent data points would be ideal. Then add a buffer for AP/wrapping up affairs - if you were interviewing in the UK, I'd say 1-2 weeks, but I've no idea about Cambodia.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

One way ticket out or round trip out of cambodia to US is going to be expensive. Almost the same price you pay to go Megan there will be sale rep there to help with ticket I recommend travel agency srey roth they good

Thank you so much everyone!!! It really, really helps to hear all of your experiences and ideas. We are so grateful!!! We will most likely just wait until we have the visa in hand and see what is financially available to us. We knew this process would be expensive, so we've been saving like crazy. So blessed to have this incredible VJ community. Thanks again everyone.

All that we are and all that will be we dedicate to the One who brought us together

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

Petition sent: 03/27/2014

Interview date!!! 10/06/2014

AOS:

Packet received at Chicago Lockbox: 2/2/2015

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

Green card received!! 09/24/2015

ROC: 

I-751 sent off to CSC: 7/25/2017

NOA1: 7/27/2017

Filed Inquiry into Biometrics status: 9/18/2017

10 Year Green Card Approved!!! 10/22/2018

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

When the moment comes for me, I plan to buy a one way ticket to Dominican Republic for his interview. Once approved and visa on hand I will buy two one way tickets back to NYC. I want to come back with him and experience his first time getting on a plane!!! :)

That's what I would like to do too but it would all depend on the money situation. ?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I'm hoping to do the same. If she gets her Visa the following friday after the interview then i will buy a ticket that day for her... doesnt matter the cost. if she has to wait a week, that's fine, but it will suck i cant fly with her. it's ok but would make me a bit sad i didnt get to hold her hand on the plane since its also her first experience on one and might be a little scary. whatever happens im sure we will work it all out.

USCIS Petition(s) Filed

Form I-129F: Petition for Alien Fiance(e) / Case#2:
Date I-129F Sent : (2014-05-14) #2: (2015-09-03)
Date I-129F NOA1 (Receipt) : (2014-05-22) #2: (2015-09-11)
-- I-129F RFE(s) : (N/A) #2: (2015-10-14)Received in mail (2015-10-19)
-- I-129F RFE Reply(s) : (N/A) #2: (2015-10-20) Replied to RFE Next Day
Date I-129F NOA2 (Approved) : (2014-06-25) #2: (2015-10-29)

National Visa Center Processing

Date Package Received By NVC : (2014-07-10) #2: (2015 N/A)
Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned : (2014-07-10) #2: (2015 N/A)
Date Package Left From NVC : (2014-07-12) #2: (2015 N/A)

Consulate Processing

Date Received By Consulate : (2014-07-15) #2: (2015 December)
Date Rec Instructions (Pkt 3) : (2014-07-15) #2: (2015 N/A)-Downloaded and followed Packet3 Instructions while in Cambodia
Date Complete Instructions (Pkt 3) : (2014-07-20) #2: (2015-12-19)
Date Rec Appointment Letter (Pkt 4): (2014-07-29) #2: (2016 N/A)-SOON!!!
Interview Date (K1 Visa): (2014-11-24) #2: (2016 03-21)
-- Interview Result: Denied #2: Approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.