ibhitchin

Catch-22 Police Clearance style...

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello those in the know,

We are at NVC, AOS fee in-process, ds-261 submitted, AOS package ready for the post.

In preparation for the 260 filing we went to the Police dept. to request the Police clearance. They said we needed a paper from the embassy, in order to proceed. The sample they showed us, seems to be a cover sheet from package 3 (it says "Enc: Package 3"). From what I can tell, that is sent by the embassy, once they get the case from the NVC. But the NVC needs the PC in the IV supporting docs before they will complete and send the case to the embassy!! Catch-22.

Am I missing something, (probably obvious) or am I supposed to write my own cover letter with the Case ID penciled in? Hypothetically, if I were to do that who the would know anyway? Or is the PC sent directly to the Embassy like the medical is?

BTW, we are coming from Bangkok, Thailand.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart & Nok

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello those in the know,

We are at NVC, AOS fee in-process, ds-261 submitted, AOS package ready for the post.

In preparation for the 260 filing we went to the Police dept. to request the Police clearance. They said we needed a paper from the embassy, in order to proceed. The sample they showed us, seems to be a cover sheet from package 3 (it says "Enc: Package 3"). From what I can tell, that is sent by the embassy, once they get the case from the NVC. But the NVC needs the PC in the IV supporting docs before they will complete and send the case to the embassy!! Catch-22.

Am I missing something, (probably obvious) or am I supposed to write my own cover letter with the Case ID penciled in? Hypothetically, if I were to do that who the would know anyway? Or is the PC sent directly to the Embassy like the medical is?

BTW, we are coming from Bangkok, Thailand.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart & Nok

There is no packet 3 for IR-1/CR-1 visas in Thailand since everything is sent to NVC. Hmm. This is a catch-22. Seems the cops have changed their policy. I'm going to ask that this thread be moved to the Thailand forum. Maybe you'll get better answers there.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving to Thailand forum for country specific answers on the police cert ******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Thinking about this more, I would send an email to the embassy and make them aware of your dilemma. Email them at: visasbkkiv@state.gov Make sure you put this in the subject line: "IV Inquiry BNK2014xxxxxx" The BNK2014xxxxxx will be your case number.

Timeline

Whoops, you replied again before I posted :-),

Well, the lack of a packet 3 would fit with what my wife thinks... she thinks this is a letter from an agency, not from the Embassy. Which would make sence if the embassy does not send out package 3's.

However, one thing about that. The medical is not sent to the NVC, that is triggered by something from the embassy, and is brought to the interview (or it is sent directly to the embassy by the Dr.) AFAIK so far.

I have added a picture of the sample letter the Police gave us (sorry, I don't have a scanner) name address and case number redacted since I doubt the police asked her if they could use her paperwork for a sample!

Thank you,

S & N

post-174888-0-96968100-1405862475_thumb.jpg

Edited by ibhitchin

Timeline

You can also contact the police service center here:

The Police Clearance Service Center

Building 24, Royal Thai Police
Rama 1, Pathumwan
Bangkok, Thailand 10330
Tel: 66-2205-2168, 66-2205-2169
Fax: 66-2205-1295
Email: psccenter@royalthaipolice.go.th
For more information please visit their website

Timeline

Whoops, you replied again before I posted :-),

Well, the lack of a packet 3 would fit with what my wife thinks... she thinks this is a letter from an agency, not from the Embassy. Which would make sence if the embassy does not send out package 3's.

However, one thing about that. The medical is not sent to the NVC, that is triggered by something from the embassy, and is brought to the interview (or it is sent directly to the embassy by the Dr.) AFAIK so far.

I have added a picture of the sample letter the Police gave us (sorry, I don't have a scanner) name address and case number redacted since I doubt the police asked her if they could use her paperwork for a sample!

Thank you,

S & N

Right the medical is part of packet 4 in an IR-1/CR-1 case. There is no packet 3 in an IR-1/CR-1 case, only K visa cases. That letter seems somewhat sketchy IMO mainly because of the dates on it, and it has no seal etc.. I know that alot of people have just shown them a copy of NOA2 from the I-130 or the letter from NVC asking for the documents. In my wife's case she just paid a lawyer 5000 THB in Chiang Mai to deal with it because she didn't want to make the trip to Bangkok.

Edited by Karee

Timeline

Another possibility is to call NVC and explain the issue to them. They're pretty decent to deal with, unlike USCIS. Explain your predicament and they may go ahead and complete your case and forward it to the embassy without the police report, and your wife will need to bring it with her to the interview. This way she'll have the interview letter (packet 4) to show the cops. I would go this route as a last resort.

NVC contact info: (603) 334-0700 (7:00 a.m. EST to 12:00 a.m. EST)

Timeline

Thank you very much Keree for the excellent info, and follow up.

I have the e-mail to the embassy ready to go (I was going to call them in the morning, but e-mail right now scratches my itch to DO something all that much better!! :-))

The NOA-2 is a very good idea I think. We are only two hours away from the embassy/police office by bus, so we will probably head there in the morning I think.

I will of course post what I learn, especially if its not just a snafu with the guy who happened to be working the desk when we arrived last time!

Thanks again,

S&N

Timeline

Thank you very much Keree for the excellent info, and follow up.

I have the e-mail to the embassy ready to go (I was going to call them in the morning, but e-mail right now scratches my itch to DO something all that much better!! :-))

The NOA-2 is a very good idea I think. We are only two hours away from the embassy/police office by bus, so we will probably head there in the morning I think.

I will of course post what I learn, especially if its not just a snafu with the guy who happened to be working the desk when we arrived last time!

Thanks again,

S&N

Calling the embassy is a complete waste of time. So is emailing them without a case number. I've found them to be pretty responsive when emailing them with the case number. Keep in mind the term responsive is relevant, meaning a day or two. You are dealing with a U.S. govt. entity in Thailand after all, so 2 days is light speed within that context.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Right the medical is part of packet 4 in an IR-1/CR-1 case. There is no packet 3 in an IR-1/CR-1 case, only K visa cases. That letter seems somewhat sketchy IMO mainly because of the dates on it, and it has no seal etc.. I know that alot of people have just shown them a copy of NOA2 from the I-130 or the letter from NVC asking for the documents. In my wife's case she just paid a lawyer 5000 THB in Chiang Mai to deal with it because she didn't want to make the trip to Bangkok.

Karee is once again correct in what he says. I have known people that have shown the police NOA 1 or 2 and have seen quite a few here on V J.

In the course of helping people I have called the police at the number Karee indicated with good results.

Timeline

NOA 2 did the trick. The PCC is in process.

Unfortunately they told us it won't be ready until Aug 13! I did not expect more than 3 weeks!

I guess old corrupt ways die hard, the cop behind the desk started to offer "expedited" service for only 1500 Baht, but stopped and just told us to suck up the 3 weeks - "its a very long process"

I have yet to hear from the embassy of course, but I will update this post with whatever their reply is.

Thanks again for the quick, accurate info, and what ultimately turned out to be the solution.

On a side note, there was another woman there with a page that looked Identical to the sample I was given and posted here. Of course hers was her own name and address (I assume, I did not look) but what I did look for was the visa type, and that was k-1.

S & N

Edited by ibhitchin

Timeline

NOA 2 did the trick. The PCC is in process.

Unfortunately they told us it won't be ready until Aug 13! I did not expect more than 3 weeks!

I guess old corrupt ways die hard, the cop behind the desk started to offer "expedited" service for only 1500 Baht, but stopped and just told us to suck up the 3 weeks - "its a very long process"

I have yet to hear from the embassy of course, but I will update this post with whatever their reply is.

Thanks again for the quick, accurate info, and what ultimately turned out to be the solution.

On a side note, there was another woman there with a page that looked Identical to the sample I was given and posted here. Of course hers was her own name and address (I assume, I did not look) but what I did look for was the visa type, and that was k-1.

S & N

Glad to hear it worked out.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

And while I am cleaning up loose ends, I never did hear back from the embassy.

I e-mailed them back on July 20, and except for the automated "We got your email" response, I have gotten nothing from them.

Thankfully we are just days away from picking up the PC, my worry now is that I will not get the IV Bill before the PC, and THAT will be the hold up!

Thanks again for all the help!

S&N

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.