sskeels

Obtaining Police Reports for a minor from Peru

1 post in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I need some advice. The NVC issued an RFE for my minor daughter (aged 17) on July 10, 2014. The NVC says it needs a police record which is called Certifcado de Antecedentes Policiales. They claim that it is available for applicants aged 16 and older. They also list the location in Lima Peru in which it can be obtained. My wife has gone to this location multiple times and has been consistently told the same answer which is that you have to be 18 years or older to obtain this certificate. I have also made an email inquiry to the U.S. embassy in Lima Peru asking what the Police Record requirements are for a 17 year old child that is going through the CR2 immigration process. The embassy immigration unit emailed me a response which said no Police Reports are required nor are they available for a 17 year old child. I have gone to the Department of State website for immigrant visa documentation requirements for police reports and it also says that No police reports are required for children under the age of 18. I have talked to NVC reps on at least 3 occasions since the RFE has been issued attempting to logically discuss and ask them why they have issued this RFE when it seems to be clear from their own published instructions that I do not need this police report and that it is literally not obtainable. Each time the NVC rep has said that the Department of State requirements do mandate this police report. At this point the only thing I have done has been to mail documents to the NVC which includes the official position of the Peruvian Government that they will not provide this particular police report on a person younger than 18. I have also asked (today) for a supervisor from the NVC to call me to discuss the RFE.

My case documents for my wife and my daughter have been in the hands of the NVC since early February 2014. I am quite a bit frustrated as to what my next steps can be to resolve this issue. I have filled out a form to be sent to my U.S. Senator to ask for assistance in this manner but have not faxed it to him yet. Does anyone have any suggestions? I do not see any comments from other U.S. Citizens that have Peruvian minor children that have commented on police report challenges when they are in the in CR2 immigration category.

Steve

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.