Lovely Joeannie

Lost working visa

27 posts in this topic

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I came to USA 2yrs ago with a working visa valid for 10yrs as a nanny. Unfortunately my Egyptian employer flew back to Egypt without me but they have my passport/visa with them. I seek legal advise twice but the problem is they can't trace my information or identity..so my question is.. Is there any way that I can get any information or getting back my passport/visa?

Timeline

I'm from Philippines..I came to USA 2yrs ago with a working visa valid for 10yrs as a nanny. Unfortunately my Egyptian employer flew back to Egypt without me but they have my passport/visa with them. I seek legal advise twice but the problem is they can't trace my information or identity..so my question is.. Is there any way that I can get any information or getting back my passport/visa? My employer didn't gave me my passport/visa when I told them I want to have it because they say I might runaway from them..please help me I want to stay in this country legally..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

What visa exactly did you have ?

Passport - go to you consulate to get a new one. For a visa, you will have to go back to your embassy to get it, you probably can retrieve I-94 on-line to verify what is your period of authorized stay.

Why did you give anybody your passport ? Go to the police and report it stolen.

Timeline

What visa exactly did you have ?

Passport - go to you consulate to get a new one. For a visa, you will have to go back to your embassy to get it, you probably can retrieve I-94 on-line to verify what is your period of authorized stay.

Why did you give anybody your passport ? Go to the police and report it stolen.

Timeline

I have the Permanent Visa.. I already went to the embassy and have a new passport for identification purposes apparently no one told me that I can retrieve my info tru online.... My length of stay is until may 2021.. I didn't gave it to them because they don't want me to have it..

Timeline

I have the Permanent Visa.. I already went to the embassy and have a new passport for identification purposes apparently no one told me that I can retrieve my info tru online.... My length of stay is until may 2021.. I didn't gave it to them because they don't want me to have it..

You have something very very wrong. It's highly unlikely your period of authorized stay was until 2021 - may have been visa vailidity period (which has nothing to do with how long you're allowed to stay) but that visa is now gone with your passport.

Btw - there is no "permanent visa". You have to be more specific which visa you exactly had - B1/B2 ? Other category ?

Timeline

You have something very very wrong. It's highly unlikely your period of authorized stay was until 2021 - may have been visa vailidity period (which has nothing to do with how long you're allowed to stay) but that visa is now gone with your passport.

Btw - there is no "permanent visa". You have to be more specific which visa you exactly had - B1/B2 ? Other category ?

Timeline

True it's gone with my passport & your right the validity is until 2021.. I really don't know if it's B1 or B2.. I barely saw it.. So, what am I gonna do?

Filed: Country: Moldova
Timeline

Are you sure your employer didn't bring you into the country on a tourist visa? It would have been valid for ten years, but the authorized stay would have been something like 6 months. You would not have been allowed to work. If that was the case, then you have overstayed and you have issues that are going to be complicated.

The only way out of the above situation is to argue that you are a victim of human trafficking (taking your passport is something that might point to this.) I don't know the details of what this path entails.

Here is a link showing the visa options for domestic help.

http://blog.messersmithlaw.com/?p=302

Filed: Country: Moldova
Timeline

Here are the steps to replacing the visa. Note that it will require a trip home. Also, from what I know the "Nanny visa" is tied to a specific employer so you probably will not qualify without finding another.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/general/lost-or-stolen-travel-documents.html

Filed: Country: Latvia
Timeline

You may want to consider contacting: http://casademaryland.org/ - I believe they offer some support for immigrant workers who have had their rights violated by employers.

04/14/12 - First date in the U.S.

02/26/13 - Married

06/3/13 - Petition Filed (had been unsuccessfully trying to move to Europe)

06/6/13 - NOA1 (National Benefits Center)

12/19/13 - Transferred to Nebraska Service Center

03/3/14 - I130 Approved

03/18/14 - NVC Received file from USCIS

04/28/14 - Received/Paid AOS Bill

05/01/14 - Received/Paid IV Bill

05/14/14 - Sent AOS Package

05/30/14 - Sent IV Package

06/05/14 - Submitted DS-260

06/19/14 - Received checklist for AOS, resubmitted required corrections

08/09/14 - Case completed at NVC

08/14/14 - Received Interview Date

09/08/14 - Interview date - Approved!

09/11/14 - Raced into town, threw car into a parking spot, and ran down city streets to get to the courier company 2 minutes before the close to get passport back

10/10/14 - POE Entry

Timeline

Issue is - she never was an immigrant worker. If her visa was B1/B2, she was non-immigrant alien illegally working.

OP - If you really had B1/B2 visa,, then you were not allowed to work - working on it invalidated it immediately. A single day of overstay invalidated it as well. And the fact your passport is gone, invalidated it again. So bottom line - you need to depart to your home country and apply for a visa again if you want one.

Filed: Timeline

True it's gone with my passport & your right the validity is until 2021.. I really don't know if it's B1 or B2.. I barely saw it.. So, what am I gonna do?

A B1/B2 would not have authorized you to work as a nanny for 10 years. It is most likely that you were granted a stay of six months in B1 (visitor for business status), since your employers told US officials that they intended to return with you to their lives outside the US. Since you've already stayed longer than six months, it is likely that you are already out of status, unless your employers filed an extension of status for you. More importantly, you would have fallen out of status once they left the US, as your entry was based on being the personal employee of someone. Now that you have a new passport, you need to leave the US as soon as possible -- if they did file an extension of status for you, you can still leave before you have a accumulated a long time out of status and perhaps qualify to enter the US again in the future if you get a new visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I agree most likely she had a B1/2 and was admitted for 6 months.

There are no exit controls in the US, so now you have your passport there will be no hindrance to you leaving.

All you need is a ticket home.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.