Sleepless1987

Reporting Marriage Fraud

28 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I'm an American-born 29-year-old woman that has been the victim of marriage fraud. I met my foreign national husband in August 2011. He seemed really shy and polite and I almost instantly fell in love with him. I met him during a period of my life when things were not going well for me - I was having trouble finding employment in the economy and all my friends had gotten married or moved away from the city in which I lived. As a result, I was really lonely and suffered from really low self esteem, although I did not realize it at the time.

I believe that my husband and his friends, when they had met me, sensed this about me. I think they were aware that I had no remaining friends in the city I lived in and invited me into their group. I then grew close to my husband from being in this social circle. I myself am of Indian descent and my parents are foreign born and had immigrated to this country so I understood how difficult it must have been to be out of status. He had explained to me that he just wanted to make something of himself in America and would really like the stability of having a green card so that he may attend graduate school in computers. Because I was in love with him, I wanted nothing more than for him to better his life.

We eloped 6 months after first meeting and the minute we exchanged vows at the local courthouse, his behavior dramatically changed. The weekend after we got married, he spent partying with the friends without inviting me. He would come and go from our shared apartment as he pleased. He also slept in the front living room instead of sharing a bed with me. His friends, who I thought were my friends as well, stopped replying to my texts and stopped inviting me to join them on their various outings.

When I confronted him about his sudden change in behavior, he accused me of having done something that turned all his friends off from wanting to continue to spend time with them. I would ask him what it was that I did so that I could apologize to all of them and he would just get angry and storm off. It terrified me. I genuinely thought I had done something wrong and I didn't realize what it was, and I was desperate to find out but none of his friends would say anything to me. He would also emotionally manipulate me by telling me how difficult it was for him to financially support us as well as raise funds to hire a lawyer and pay for his green card application fees and that he needed some space. I thought I was trying to be a caring wife by letting him do whatever he pleased so that he would be emotionally stable. This meant that he spent all his free time being away from me.

Because of his sudden change in behavior, I never informed any of my friends and family that I was married. I was hoping over time that our situation would improve. I honestly thought that his behavior towards me was temporary. I was unemployed for the first 4 months of my marriage and he would complain how irritated he was to come home after working all day to see that I had spent my days doing nothing. I'm the type of person that won't go out and spend money that I didn't have so I'd stay home. He accused me of being lazy and not wanting to work even though I'd spend most of my free time applying for jobs.

I finally got a full-time job and I thought that once I started working, that our relationship would improve. I thought that he was getting irritated with having a "vegetable for a wife," as he'd call it, that did nothing but pester him out of boredom. So I thought he'd be proud that I started working. However, it didn't change the situation one bit. His behavior stayed the same. He continued to go out with the same friends and leave me at home alone. I was so embarrassed by his behavior towards me that I never let any of my co-workers know that I was married. I told them all that I was living with a male roommate.

I then convinced myself that perhaps he was just still stressed out by the whole process of obtaining his green card. I was so hopeful that once we got his conditional green card that he'd go back to being the guy that I had dated a year before because the uncertainty and stress would finally be over. But, as before, things stayed the same.

3 months after obtaining his green card, I finally left and moved to another country to study. This was during the holidays as well and we didn't spend any of those holidays together. He spent them with his friends, including New Years and Christmas. I wanted to file for divorce before I left, but he would get into a violent fit again whenever I brought it up. So I just moved away without doing anything.

The problem is that I was desperately in love with him this whole time and he had emotionally and mentally manipulated me into believing that I was inadequate. He would tell me that he wished that I was better at something or that I wasn't good enough or that I had lied about who I was while we were dating. He would say his friends agreed with his point of view. I started to believe that there was something fundamentally wrong with me socially and mentally as a result, which made me undesirable.

After seeing a therapist, I realized that he was what they call "gaslighting" me into complying with him and sticking around to sponsor him for green card. The marriage was never consummated. He had always slept in the front room. Looking back, I can't believe I allowed myself to be strung along for almost 2 years this way so that he could stay in the US.

I would really like to report this to USCIS, but we have been married for 2 years now, but only 10 months of those 2 years were spent living together as basically "roommates." My family and friends are not aware of the marriage because I was embarrassed of his public treatment of me. He had scared me into not feeling comfortable divorcing him. We are currently in the middle of the 90-day window and I don't know what to do. I'm currently in medical school and I really do not want to complicate my life further if reporting the fraudulant marriage at this time would bring legal action against me as well.

You could have (and should have) reported the fraud to USCIS as soon as you realized.

Please do it ASAP, and then be done with it and let USCIS do their investigation.

Start by writing up the facts and gathering the evidence.

No action will be taken against you in any way, so don't worry about that. Good luck.

I requested this be moved to a forum that discusses this sort of thing, and there there is a thread on how to report fraud to USCIS.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Moved from Adjustment of Status from Family Based Visas forum to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

flesh out your narrative, putting it on paper, amass whatever evidence you can,

then go into a local USCIS office via an infopass appointment [see https://infopass.uscis.gov]

and then once there, ask to speak with the FDNS officer. Be prepared to wait a bit. Then tell the FDNS officer you want to start a casefile for Immigration Fraud, and ask the FDNS officer to read your narrative, examine your evidence, and ask for opinion on whether or not what you have would be sufficient to start a fraud investigation.

If the answer is yes - great !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I suggest you call USCIS right now, but you can only make that decision. If you are going to keep giving him a free ride then I'm sorry. I'm happy your in school. Finally, you hid from your family but reporting it and speaking up you will have enough people on your side federal wise.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

only talking this way because my ex husband did me just what you went through, and brought back memories. Insecure, hid it, couldn't go in our apartment were leased, con ex bill high a rocket when i got a new apartment because he did pay for the light when he kicked me out the old apartment. Went back home and I didnt know, when coming back AFTER I REPORTED IT he was approached by I.C.E officers. Was lying that I was abusing him so he could get that abusal spouse thing. Didn't work, I had hours of recordings of him verbally abusing me, and admitting he's sorry for hitting me, overdrawn bank accounts.... I went to a place, paid 850 for a divorce....now he offers to live with me in my new apartment and pay my schooling fees, and bribes me triple the amount to stop the divorce....HAH! changed my number and didnt look back. So please i'm not being mean when i said what i said.....I need you to help yourself

Hi Everyone,

I'm an American-born 29-year-old woman that has been the victim of marriage fraud. I met my foreign national husband in August 2011. He seemed really shy and polite and I almost instantly fell in love with him. I met him during a period of my life when things were not going well for me - I was having trouble finding employment in the economy and all my friends had gotten married or moved away from the city in which I lived. As a result, I was really lonely and suffered from really low self esteem, although I did not realize it at the time.

I believe that my husband and his friends, when they had met me, sensed this about me. I think they were aware that I had no remaining friends in the city I lived in and invited me into their group. I then grew close to my husband from being in this social circle. I myself am of Indian descent and my parents are foreign born and had immigrated to this country so I understood how difficult it must have been to be out of status. He had explained to me that he just wanted to make something of himself in America and would really like the stability of having a green card so that he may attend graduate school in computers. Because I was in love with him, I wanted nothing more than for him to better his life.

We eloped 6 months after first meeting and the minute we exchanged vows at the local courthouse, his behavior dramatically changed. The weekend after we got married, he spent partying with the friends without inviting me. He would come and go from our shared apartment as he pleased. He also slept in the front living room instead of sharing a bed with me. His friends, who I thought were my friends as well, stopped replying to my texts and stopped inviting me to join them on their various outings.

When I confronted him about his sudden change in behavior, he accused me of having done something that turned all his friends off from wanting to continue to spend time with them. I would ask him what it was that I did so that I could apologize to all of them and he would just get angry and storm off. It terrified me. I genuinely thought I had done something wrong and I didn't realize what it was, and I was desperate to find out but none of his friends would say anything to me. He would also emotionally manipulate me by telling me how difficult it was for him to financially support us as well as raise funds to hire a lawyer and pay for his green card application fees and that he needed some space. I thought I was trying to be a caring wife by letting him do whatever he pleased so that he would be emotionally stable. This meant that he spent all his free time being away from me.

Because of his sudden change in behavior, I never informed any of my friends and family that I was married. I was hoping over time that our situation would improve. I honestly thought that his behavior towards me was temporary. I was unemployed for the first 4 months of my marriage and he would complain how irritated he was to come home after working all day to see that I had spent my days doing nothing. I'm the type of person that won't go out and spend money that I didn't have so I'd stay home. He accused me of being lazy and not wanting to work even though I'd spend most of my free time applying for jobs.

I finally got a full-time job and I thought that once I started working, that our relationship would improve. I thought that he was getting irritated with having a "vegetable for a wife," as he'd call it, that did nothing but pester him out of boredom. So I thought he'd be proud that I started working. However, it didn't change the situation one bit. His behavior stayed the same. He continued to go out with the same friends and leave me at home alone. I was so embarrassed by his behavior towards me that I never let any of my co-workers know that I was married. I told them all that I was living with a male roommate.

I then convinced myself that perhaps he was just still stressed out by the whole process of obtaining his green card. I was so hopeful that once we got his conditional green card that he'd go back to being the guy that I had dated a year before because the uncertainty and stress would finally be over. But, as before, things stayed the same.

3 months after obtaining his green card, I finally left and moved to another country to study. This was during the holidays as well and we didn't spend any of those holidays together. He spent them with his friends, including New Years and Christmas. I wanted to file for divorce before I left, but he would get into a violent fit again whenever I brought it up. So I just moved away without doing anything.

The problem is that I was desperately in love with him this whole time and he had emotionally and mentally manipulated me into believing that I was inadequate. He would tell me that he wished that I was better at something or that I wasn't good enough or that I had lied about who I was while we were dating. He would say his friends agreed with his point of view. I started to believe that there was something fundamentally wrong with me socially and mentally as a result, which made me undesirable.

After seeing a therapist, I realized that he was what they call "gaslighting" me into complying with him and sticking around to sponsor him for green card. The marriage was never consummated. He had always slept in the front room. Looking back, I can't believe I allowed myself to be strung along for almost 2 years this way so that he could stay in the US.

I would really like to report this to USCIS, but we have been married for 2 years now, but only 10 months of those 2 years were spent living together as basically "roommates." My family and friends are not aware of the marriage because I was embarrassed of his public treatment of me. He had scared me into not feeling comfortable divorcing him. We are currently in the middle of the 90-day window and I don't know what to do. I'm currently in medical school and I really do not want to complicate my life further if reporting the fraudulant marriage at this time would bring legal action against me as well.

Honey, things do change after marriage. But since "the marriage was never consummated ", I guess he wanted to take advantage of you, you either be stupid and let him, or you don't.

Only people in mad crazy love would Expect a schmuck to transform and come back a Prince Charming . Key word : mad , crazy not love.

Hi Everyone,

Not only that you should report him, you also have to. If the USCIS finds out your marriage is for green card, you could be jailed. It is better that you report to USCIS than them found out

Edited by subwayguy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Let his 2 year conditional green card expire. Just report him at an infopass appointment and try to move on with your life as best you can. Best of luck to you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Obviously divorce is the first thing, not sure if I see much in the way of evidence from an Immigration perspective.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

This guy practically told you from day 1 that he only needed your help to get a green card. I mean his intention was very clear. There is no way in your narrative that he proclaimed any affection towards you. So, he must assumed that you understood what you signed up for when you filled his petition. This is nothing more that buyers remorse. USCIS takes 5-8months to approve petitions just to give all parties amble opportunity to reconsider or withdraw their petition. I suggest that petitioners use this period to reevaluate their relationships without sentiments knowing fully well that human beings only improve they do not change...i wish you well.

....All your Negative Energy Feeds Cancer!

event.png

Filed: Other Timeline

I have to completely agree with the person above me. You definitely knew what his intentions were when you met him and before you married him. You should have also known better when there was no affection toward you after the marriage. I would definitely report it to uscis, explain the situation, but I will say you definitely should have known. No matter what, they will investigate him because marriage shams are a big deal. I have never heard of anyone getting into trouble that was a citizen for a sham marriage, but it would look badly on you in the future if you do remarry another immigrant and want to be their petitioner. I would contact the office asap and let them know what's going on before he gets his 10 yr card.

Filed: Timeline

Checking the logic: "it would look badly on you in the future";..."I would contact the office ASAP"

self-mutilation?

I have to completely agree with the person above me. You definitely knew what his intentions were when you met him and before you married him. You should have also known better when there was no affection toward you after the marriage. I would definitely report it to uscis, explain the situation, but I will say you definitely should have known. No matter what, they will investigate him because marriage shams are a big deal. I have never heard of anyone getting into trouble that was a citizen for a sham marriage, but it would look badly on you in the future if you do remarry another immigrant and want to be their petitioner. I would contact the office asap and let them know what's going on before he gets his 10 yr card.

Report him for emotional spousal abuse. Shame on him for treating like that. He should get deported

He was already here illegally. Good luck deporting him.

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.