AmyWrites

Getting a car loan - no credit history

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Banks have refused to give us car loans left and right because we don't have a credit history (got our first credit card a week ago), even though my husband is making well into a six figure salary. I don't know what to do. Any advice? I don't work so there's no point in having me apply for a car loan.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well how much of a down payment is he willing to make percentage wise? Is the car new or used? You can get a cosigner for a loan. You can also buy a car outright (less ideal, I know) to keep for a few years until you build up enough credit.

Edited by jfgk1987

K-1

I-129F NOA1 => NOA2: 161 days

NOA2 => Interview: 64 days

AP: 33 days

Total: 258 days

AOS

I-485 NOA => GC: 333 days

No Interview

ROC

07/30/2017: Package Sent

08/01/2017: NOA

09/07/2017: Biometrics

12/04/2018: Approved! 490 days

Timeline

Well how much of a down payment is he willing to make percentage wise? Is the car new or used? You can get a cosigner for a loan. You can also buy a car outright (less ideal, I know) to keep for a few years until you build up enough credit.

We're giving half down on the car, the car is new, and costs $25,000. I don't know anyone who has good credit to be a cosigner :(. I guess we can pay outright, but that's not an ideal option.

Edited by AmyWrites

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We're giving half down on the car, the car is new, and costs $25,000. I don't know anyone who has good credit to be a cosigner :(. I guess we can pay outright, but that's not an ideal option.

If you pay outright you end up saving on the interest charges you would have if you got a loan.

Your own bank won't even give you a loan?

EDIT: Try asking the bank "how much would you be willing to loan me?" as opposed to asking for a 12.5k+ loan. The loan would be greater than 12.5k, unless the 25k includes taxes and fees.

Edited by jfgk1987

K-1

I-129F NOA1 => NOA2: 161 days

NOA2 => Interview: 64 days

AP: 33 days

Total: 258 days

AOS

I-485 NOA => GC: 333 days

No Interview

ROC

07/30/2017: Package Sent

08/01/2017: NOA

09/07/2017: Biometrics

12/04/2018: Approved! 490 days

I have two suggestions for you.

1) Can you save up enough to buy the car outright? I have heard (but have never actually tried it) that if you go into a dealer and offer to pay cash for a car, but you want them to set you up with a car loan of at least one remaining payment, they'll make it happen. Make sense? Then you have credit. EDIT: my mistake; I thought you were looking to establish credit, but it appears you actually don't want to go ahead and pay for the car.

2) Go to yelp and find the highest rated credit union in your area. A credit union is like a bank, but it's a non-profit. They used to only represent certain groups, like firemen or teachers, but now most (though perhaps not all) are open to the public. A credit union, like I said, is a NON-PROFIT. They work for you. They will give you a clear path to getting a car loan. Don't take my word for it; talk to them on the phone or in person. It may not be immediate, but they will probably tell you basically that if you keep a positive balance or prove you are good with a secured credit card for a short period of time, they will give you a loan.

Edited by AtariBaby

12/24/2010 I proposed. She accepted and stayed.

02/25/2011 Married!

03/19/2012 FINALLY submitted the AOS paperwork: I-130, I-485, I-765, etc.

03/23/2012 Received notification that USCIS has received everything.

03/26/2012 Biometrics Appointment Notice: April 23, 2012.

04/02/2012 NOA's received. Now we wait...

04/23/2012 Biometrics completed.

05/18/2012 EAD card mailed but not yet received.

06/06/2012 Rough interview but we think we're approved! Website says i485 status "Card Production".

06/12/2012 We received the "Welcome the United States" letters! Website says Green Card was mailed.

LIMBO: Green card lost in mail. Facing the possibility of paying hundreds in fees and basically repeating the entire process.

All good now! USPS lost it, then found it.

04/24/14 Back to VJ to get help with I-751, Removal of Conditions.

05/31/14 Mailed I-751 finally, with less than a week to deadline!

06/02/14 NOA1 (that was fast!)

07/01/14 Biometrics

7/25/14 Approved for Removal of Conditions

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You're going to have a very hard time getting a loan without credit. Even renting an apartment in a non-shitty area you need at least a decent credit rating on.

If you have a long established relationship with your bank, talk to someone there and see how much they'd be willing to loan you, and then pay the rest in cash. Probably going to be your best, if not only, option.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from Moving Here and Your New Life in America to Tax & Finances During US Immigration - topic is finances(car loan/credit) ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Banks have refused to give us car loans left and right because we don't have a credit history (got our first credit card a week ago), even though my husband is making well into a six figure salary. I don't know what to do. Any advice? I don't work so there's no point in having me apply for a car loan.

Seems like you need to shop for a new bank.

You would be surprised how much the loan requirements change from bank to bank.

Consider a credit union - their rates will often be lower and their loan requirments much more down to earth

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Well, you could do what we did and pay 26k for a car with cash or you could buy a cheaper car in the mean time. There is no shame in getting a nice used car.

By getting a loan on a car you are paying more for it long term and with no credit history you aren't going to get a really good interest rate.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

We've talked about it and it looks like we're going with paying it off (or at least, most of it off) in cash. We've just gotten our first credit card so hopefully we'll establish some history there, and at least be able to rent an apartment. On Monday I'm calling credit unions around. I'm not keen on the idea of borrowing money but it seems like it's the only way to get a credit history.

New twist though: car dealer says he can't sell us the car without a license from that specific state. Anyone dealt with this?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I got a car loan from my local credit union without any credit history. It's at 8.5% so not great, but it is a good way to start building credit. I also got a secured credit card from them with no fees attached, (another good way to build credit). I agree with other posters, that credit unions are your best chance of getting a loan.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband just immigrated in November... With that being said, he was financed at a high interest rate with only $3000 down, and just his drivers permit (no co-signer). We are going to refinance after about 9 months to drop the payment down. That was through Toyota and Toyota Financial Services.

I'm really surprised that with half down, no one will finance you guys. Keep looking and good luck.

Edit: he had his job for about 5 months and he is on the apartment lease.

Edited by Happytobe

01/28/2013 I-130 package sent

01/31/2013 Notice of Action Date After POE
02/01/2013 Received e-mail and text notification of acceptance
11/26/2013 Applied for SS#
02/04/2013 Received hard copy NOA1 (case not found in on-line system) 12/02/2013 ELIS site still states "accepted"
03/12/2013 Transferred to the local office 12/27/2013 received green card
04/10/2013 Case still not found in on-line system
04/15/2013 INFO-PASS appointment

05/01/2013 NOA2 sent petition approved

NVC Stage...of course it has to be complicatedreading.gifrolleyes.gif

05/09/2013 Case received by NVC

05/23/2013 Received case #'s from NVC

05/23/2013 DS-3032 sent from husband's e-mail

06/03/2013 First day I can not access payment portal

06/04/2013 AOS Fee invoiced and payment made

06/04/2013 DS-3032 resent with Supervisor Review

06/05/2013 DS-3032 acceptance e-mail

06/05/2013 AOS Fee shows "PAID"

06/06/2013 AOS package express mailed

06/07/2013 IV bill invoiced and payment made (still waiting on documents from Hubby)

06/08/2013 IV package express mailed

06/25/2013 IV reviewed - Checklist (2 errors, Birth document & date on DS-230)

06/26/2013 Requested supervisor review by e-mail & verbal request for birth document (fingers crossed)

06/27/2013 AOS accepted

06/28/2013 Checklist response sent for corrected DS-230 (I had my husband sign extra's just in-case)

08/02/2013 NVC requested a supervisor review on the checklist item over 20 business day window

08/05/2013 Case Complete!!! kicking.gif

08/27/2013 Interview Assigned

10/30/2013 Interview

11/04/2013 Pick up Passport

11/12/2013 POE @ JFK

We've talked about it and it looks like we're going with paying it off (or at least, most of it off) in cash. We've just gotten our first credit card so hopefully we'll establish some history there, and at least be able to rent an apartment. On Monday I'm calling credit unions around. I'm not keen on the idea of borrowing money but it seems like it's the only way to get a credit history.

New twist though: car dealer says he can't sell us the car without a license from that specific state. Anyone dealt with this?

It does take time to get credit history.

One way to do it is to take smaller loans and paying them off immediately so interest doesn't hit you. Same with CC, always pay off the balance.

I'd also explore keeping a deposit in a CD or other financial mechanism in the lending bank such that you get a lower rate and some interest in your favor to reduce the difference.

If all fails, I would then suggest, like others, to get a used car from 2-3 years back; you can get substantial price differences depending on brand/make; but be aware of maintenance expenses. For example, a BMW, Audi, Mercedes (and most other European cars) drop significant in value after 3-4 years; because maintenance is quite hihg and people drop them as fast as they can.

On your question about license fom that state, I'm quite certain your salesperson mihgt be wrong. I've purchase enough car in various states to tell that that is not the case. In fact, there has been times in which I've chosen to take registration in a given state as oppose as the one I'm residing. That said, I have a home in that state so I can give that address. Once the veihcle moves to another state then I re-register.

Car loans are not easy to get. The dealership that we went to racked up 15 (!) credit inquiries on my report before someone agreed to take the loan on. I have about 3 years of credit history and I also have made payments on time every month on all my cards AND we bought a used car and only financed 6.4k. Another thing of note is that they didn't want my husband on the loan because his social security card still said "Valid for work ONLY with DHS Authorization" We just got that fixed last week.

I don't know about the in state drivers license but I only had a learners permit and they still let me buy the car.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.