phyxsius

Got an RFE about my marriage certificate, please help!

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi all,

I just received our RFE and it was about our marriage certificate.

In Sweden we don't really have a marriage certificate. Here we call it "Person bevis" Which basically means personal evidence that we get from our official tax agency called skatteverket.

This is what I sent in along with our application.

In the RFE that we received it says:

Submit a legible copy of the marriage certificate for xx and xx. the certificate must indicate that after the marriage ceremony, it was registered or recorded by the country, state or provice.

And they also added a homepage from the travelstate.gov site which was: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country.html

I went on there and put Sweden as the country, and I will just copy paste what it says there:

Marriage Certificates

Available. If the marriage took place after July 1, 1991, the marriage record can be obtained from the local tax office of the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket), which covers the area of residence at the time of marriage. If the marriage took place before July 1, 1991, an extract from the marriage register (Utdrag Ur Aktenskapsbok) can be obtained from the parish office (Pastorsambetet) or (Personbevis) from the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket).

Did they just mess up? This is the EXACT paper I sent them. I copied it, so its not the original one, but they are not asking for that.

Can I call USCIS and explain? or how do I move forward with this?

The documents are in English and they also have the official tax agency stamp with their signature on them.

Edited by phyxsius

My vote is that they did make a mistake. I would send back another copy along with the verbiage from the reciprocity agreement.

Hopefully someone who has submitted a marriage cert from Sweden will weigh in.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Absent somebody from Sweden weighing in, I agree with the above. They do make mistakes.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My best guess is that they made a mistake. I got an RFE for all of my documents and when I called in I was basically told that I probably submitted them correctly and I should submit them again exactly the same way. I did and there seem to be no problems this time. (Yet, fingers crossed)

Timeline

Do you think I call call USCIS and explain?

I am calling the american embassy here in Stockholm today just to see what they say about it.
But it would be good if it's possible to speak to someone at USCIS as well
I know that they are asking for a copy, but if I send in an original would that be fine as well?

I just saw that it says Legible Copy So maybe they had a hard time reading the copy I sent them? And it takes like 2 days in Sweden to get a certificate. So it doesn't matter on my end if I send them the original.

Not sure if they will RFE me again if I do so though since they are asking for a copy, and not the original?

Timeline

I added 2 pictures now with this post, this is basically how our marriage certificates look like.

This is only 2 out of 5 pages, the other 3 pages are all about myself "beneficiary" and my family,

The white parts on the pictures are our personal information, which I chose to hide.

I even called the tax agency today again, as well as the american embassy here in Stockholm. And they both said that this should be the correct documents.

cert1.jpg

cert2.jpg

What do you guys think?

I also messaged 2 Swedes on the forums as well, hoping for a reply.

Just dont want to send in the same thing again and have them decline

Edited by phyxsius

Timeline

Do not leave anything out. Whatever the tax office gave you is what you provide, not just part of it.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Do not leave anything out. Whatever the tax office gave you is what you provide, not just part of it.

Oh nono, I didn't. They gave me 5 pages, and that's what I sent in, all 5 pages.

I just meant on the pictures that I added, are the 2 that's about me and my wife.

Just wanted an opinion on the 2 pages about us 2, that it does state quite clearly that we are married, and from when

Timeline

Oh nono, I didn't. They gave me 5 pages, and that's what I sent in, all 5 pages.

I just meant on the pictures that I added, are the 2 that's about me and my wife.

Just wanted an opinion on the 2 pages about us 2, that it does state quite clearly that we are married, and from when

They want to see a photocopy of a certified copy of a government document that says you are legally and lawfully wedded. They photos won't hurt anything but they are not considered evidence of legal marriage.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

the pictures I posted here was just to show you guys how our marriage certificate looks like.

I obviously sent in copies of the original papers, not pictures :)

I just wasn't following you. If you sent the correct document, they'll figure it out.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Personbevis och hindersprövning tror jag de menar men jag kommer verkligen inte ihåg, det var liksom 8 månader sen vi skickade in allt nu. Blev det bra ? Har ni fått svar än ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Personbevis och hindersprövning tror jag de menar men jag kommer verkligen inte ihåg, det var liksom 8 månader sen vi skickade in allt nu. Blev det bra ? Har ni fått svar än ?

English-only outside the regional forums, please.

If you must write something in a foreign language, please provide its translation, too. This is courteous to all who wish to follow the conversation.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.