hiimkristina

K1 Visa - confused about next step?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been answered previously, I've been searching and am confused about the next step.

My partner and I have lodged and have an approved I-129F petition. We received the letter from the U.S. Department of State saying that the petition will be forwarded to Sydney, Australia. I was told on this letter that I must complete the DS-160 form, which I have done.

This was three weeks ago, and I'm confused about the next step. I was under the impression that I should receive a package from the Consulate in Sydney about what to do next, however I've had no correspondence. I've been reading all day and now it seems I'm supposed to pay the fee and setup my own appointment? I'm so confused.

Am I missing something? I'm sure I am, I'm just so confused! I appreciate any help, and I REALLY appreciate this website and everyone involved.

Thanks so much.

Kristina

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Country-specific thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Australia/New Zealand regional subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been answered previously, I've been searching and am confused about the next step.

My partner and I have lodged and have an approved I-129F petition. We received the letter from the U.S. Department of State saying that the petition will be forwarded to Sydney, Australia. I was told on this letter that I must complete the DS-160 form, which I have done.

This was three weeks ago, and I'm confused about the next step. I was under the impression that I should receive a package from the Consulate in Sydney about what to do next, however I've had no correspondence. I've been reading all day and now it seems I'm supposed to pay the fee and setup my own appointment? I'm so confused.

Am I missing something? I'm sure I am, I'm just so confused! I appreciate any help, and I REALLY appreciate this website and everyone involved.

Thanks so much.

Kristina

Hi Kristina,

Could you update your timeline please? If you have received your NOA2 or petition approval you should update your timeline to reflect this.

Your approved petition should have a case number assigned from DOS/NVC. I suggest checking your visa status at https://ceac.state.gov/ceac/ Check the status under "Immigrant" and enter your Case number from NVC which should start with SYD2014-xxx-xxx

Sydney consulate will send you what is called "packet 3" which is your interview date and the checklist of required forms to bring to your interview.

There have been a few cases of this email being sent to the Spam or junk folder so I suggest you check there, and ask your petitioner spouse to check their email spam and junk inboxes too.

If it's not in yours or your fiancé's email spam/junk/inbox folder then you can send Sydney consulate an email with the case number you received from DOS/NVC in the subject and explain you have filled out DS-160 already.

:thumbs:

Edited by sweetswinks

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline

Hi Kristina,

Could you update your timeline please? If you have received your NOA2 or petition approval you should update your timeline to reflect this.

Your approved petition should have a case number.

I suggest checking your visa status at https://ceac.state.gov/ceac/ Check the status under "Immigrant" and enter your Case number from NVC which should start with SYD2014-xxx-xxx

You can send Sydney consulate an email with the case number you received from DOS/NVC in the subject.

Sydney consulate will send you what is called "packet 3" which is your interview date and required forms.

There have been a few cases of this email being sent to the Spam or junk folder so I suggest you check there, and ask your petitioner spouse to check their email spam and junk inboxes too.

:thumbs:

Thanks for your response! I have been checking the visa status daily and it has been at "Ready" since the beginning. I shall check my spam folder, thanks for the tip!

Timeline

I emailed them on Friday and got a response this morning (Tuesday). It turns out that they emailed my fiancé on the 16th of May! I think it may have gone to spam and got deleted.

The bad news is that our appointment is on the 23rd of June...in one week...and we have nothing sorted, since we were waiting for the packet.

Questions:

1. Should I reschedule or go? I probably won't have the medical yet.

2. I've been trying to make an appointment for the medical here in Sydney. The first place said the wait is over a month, and I tried ringing medibank, waiting on hold for 49 minutes and gave up. I'm debating going to Melbourne or Brisbane. This is ok, isn't it?

3. Anyone know how long it takes for the police check?

I'm freaking out now! I dont want to reschedule and push it back but I will if I dont have enough for the interview. Any advice is very much appreciated!

Timeline

I emailed them on Friday and got a response this morning (Tuesday). It turns out that they emailed my fiancé on the 16th of May! I think it may have gone to spam and got deleted.

The bad news is that our appointment is on the 23rd of June...in one week...and we have nothing sorted, since we were waiting for the packet.

Questions:

2. I've been trying to make an appointment for the medical here in Sydney. The first place said the wait is over a month, and I tried ringing medibank, waiting on hold for 49 minutes and gave up. I'm debating going to Melbourne or Brisbane. This is ok, isn't it?

I'm freaking out now! I dont want to reschedule and push it back but I will if I dont have enough for the interview. Any advice is very much appreciated!

You should reschedule because you need to bring your I-134, supporting sponsor documentation, and police certificate.

You only need a name check from the police UNLESS you have been known by other aliases (I contacted the U.S. consulate last week with their response explaining this) the turn around time is 10 business days.

I'm in Sydney and my medical is 2 weeks away, I booked yesterday.

Edited by sweetswinks

Timeline

Questions:

We have the same interview date on july 15! :)

Timeline

Were on the 15th too!!

Good to know there will be other K1'ers from visa journey there on the day! I'm the Aussie Lady in my profile picture so if you see me say hi!

Good to know there will be other K1'ers from visa journey there on the day! I'm the Aussie Lady in my profile picture so if you see me say hi!

Ill look out for you! Ill be there with my partner, you can't miss me, I am pretty heavily tattoo'd and have very curly hair!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi gang!

Our interview is on the 15th! I had a quick question, I did the medical with Medibank in Sydney and my results will be sent straight to the consulate. Anyone know if you can check when this has been done? And do they send a copy to me as well?

Hi gang!

Our interview is on the 15th! I had a quick question, I did the medical with Medibank in Sydney and my results will be sent straight to the consulate. Anyone know if you can check when this has been done? And do they send a copy to me as well?

I'm not entirely sure about this one... I did mine with a private GP and I pick up the results. I do know that when my partner applied for PR in Australia she did hers through Medibank and we never saw it or got sent anything.

Did you check with them how long it would take to get the results? Can you call them?

I know they told us we had to do ours 8 weeks before we submitted our AUS PR application. My situation is totally different than yours though, just the same medical facility...

I would call.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

the seal the results in an envelope which they tell u not to open

but dont be worried about anything its just stuff about your vacinations lack of an std and TB lack of mental problems etc.. everything they ask u during the health check.

as the doc told me when i picked up my results .. if there was a problem we wouldnt be forwarding them or giving them to you.

so if they are sent to the consulate or your told to pick them up there will be no problems with it!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.