73 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I wasn't sure where to post this topic. I'll get straight to the point.

In January I suffered complications during a pregnancy due to pre-existing health problems (we didn't think I could even get pregnant). I was sent to the University Health System hospital for a scan, which came back inconclusive. I voiced that I would like to go elsewhere as it was very clear by my rapidly deteriorating health that I couldn't continue with the pregnancy. They told me I HAD to return to the same hospital for more scans, saying that I couldn't have an abortion until they knew what was going on and made out that Planned Parenthood (where I had suggested I go) would not check for ectopic pregnancies before carrying out an abortion. They kept scaring me into coming back by telling me different things might be wrong, but they assured me that my hospital bills would only come to $100-$150 per visit after I explained that I wasn't a US Citizen yet and had no personal income. After my fist visit I received a call in the middle of the night telling me I needed to come back immediately, only for me to arrive at the hospital and for the nurses to tell me they didn't know who had called me or why but they HAD to perform another scan to be on the safe side. I eventually got my bills which were for $900 per visit (I visited 3 times, one of which I strongly objected to and the other being the unscheduled visit after receiving the call in the middle of the night). Throughout each visit I was sobbing and telling them that I suffer from panic disorder, that I was in agony and that I needed some kind of help for the crippling pain and sickness or that I would need to go elsewhere and get treatment but they would not do anything for me other than keep telling me I NEEDED to come back to the hospital in case it was something serious. I kept telling them that I had a pre-existing health problem that meant that if I were to somehow get pregnant that it would put me at risk of severe pain, fever and sickness, but this wasn't enough for them apparently! I was asked to come back for a 4th appointment but instead I refused and went to Planned Parenthood where I found out that I had lost over 15lbs in weight over the past 10 days, had a regular uterine pregnancy but that the fetus wasn't doing well and, due to my pre-existing health risks, I was right in thinking that I needed an abortion. After recovering I visited the Patient Relations department at the hospital to complain about the bills being $800 more than I was quoted per visit and to address the fact that I had scare tactics used upon me so that I would return to the hospital for appointments that I didn't wish to attend. On top of that, I had to endure a surgical abortion as opposed to a medical one thanks to them wasting my time whilst refusing to offer me any kind of treatment despite me being in absolute agony and completely unable to walk, eat or sleep. I made it clear, however, that I would be willing to pay the maximum $150 that I was quoted per visit.
Four months later my case is still being disputed yet I am receiving calls from debt collectors. I contacted the lady at the hospital who took my case but who hasn't ever gotten back to me when she said she would over the course of these past 4 months, and in the end she told me she wasn't actually doing anything for me, that I had to pay the bills in full and that if I continued disputing them then I would be deported back to the UK, despite me being in the Adjustment of Status process. I am now taking the case up with an attorney, and filing a complaint against the representative who took my case for threatening me with deportation if I don't pay every cent of my unreasonable hospital bills.

My question is, will doing this actually put me at any kind of risk with regards to my green card? These last few months have been a complete nightmare. We were billed waaaaay more than we were told to expect, and now I'm being threatened with deportation if I don't pay up exactly how much they're billing me for, no matter how unreasonable? I didn't even receive any treatment from the hospital! I just want to get this all sorted out so we can move on with our lives and mourn our loss in peace.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

As to the medical bills, court is the answer.

As to being deported neither the hospital or the debt collectors can do anything to have you deported. You have not committed any crime.

If it were me the next time they called I would threaten them with a civil suit for your suffering due to their false threats to have you deported.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 Process to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits Forum~

~Similar topics have been discussed at this forum, not K-1 related~

~duplicate thread removed~

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

You can't be deported for not paying a medical bill. If they keep calling you, simply ask that they stop doing so. If they insist, tell them you are going to record the calls, get their consent to do so and have them confirm that they will seek deportation in case you do not pay your bills. Chances are they will not give you their consent to record the call and will hang up immediately. You can take the recording to any lawyer and sue them for harassment. If you ask them to stop calling and they do not honor your request you can also sue them.

Having said that you would be better off, and doing a service to others, if you were to write to the hospital's administration and tell them your story and what happened, so they can prevent it from happening again by instructing their employees on how to proceed in similar cases.

Good luck!

Edited by Gegel

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

She certainly can ask them to stop calling them with deportation threats, but I don't see any reason or right to have the calls stopped at all - she owes the money, she needs to pay it.

Timeline

She certainly can ask them to stop calling them with deportation threats, but I don't see any reason or right to have the calls stopped at all - she owes the money, she needs to pay it.

In reality, she owes the hospital, not the collection agency. If she has a dispute with the charges she should take those up directly with the hospital. In such cases it is warranted that she ask the collection agency to stop calling altogether.

My suggestion is that she reach to the administration of the hospital directly to address her grievances.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

In reality, she owes the hospital, not the collection agency. If she has a dispute with the charges she should take those up directly with the hospital. In such cases it is warranted that she ask the collection agency to stop calling altogether.

My suggestion is that she reach to the administration of the hospital directly to address her grievances.

Yes I took it up with the hospital directly back in February. I had a meeting with a patient relations rep named Gloria, who told me she would take my case up with whoever deals with bill disputes and I would hear back from her within a few weeks. Over a month later I contacted her, and she just said she hadn't heard anything. Then I received another bill a few weeks later so I called again and she said she would make sure my bills were put on hold as I was disputing them and that she would contact me within a week with a verdict on my dispute. Three more weeks pass without hearing anything so I call her and she tells me they still haven't decided. Then on May 30th I get a call from a debt collector saying the hospital put him in touch with me. I called Gloria and told her they were calling me, my husband argued with her for a while, then in the end she pretty much said she wasn't going to be able to do anything for me anyway, and it was her that said I needed to pay up or I would be deported.

I have just finished writing a letter of complaint to the State Health Service department. If they can't do anything for me I will contact the government attorney with regards to the threat I received from Gloria.

As to the medical bills, court is the answer.

As to being deported neither the hospital or the debt collectors can do anything to have you deported. You have not committed any crime.

If it were me the next time they called I would threaten them with a civil suit for your suffering due to their false threats to have you deported.

I missed your response before I posted my last reply.

Yeah, filing a civil suit will be my last course of action if this isn't taken care of, for sure. Her threats have just added to our stress and anxiety over these bills.

Timeline

Yes I took it up with the hospital directly back in February. I had a meeting with a patient relations rep named Gloria, who told me she would take my case up with whoever deals with bill disputes and I would hear back from her within a few weeks. Over a month later I contacted her, and she just said she hadn't heard anything. Then I received another bill a few weeks later so I called again and she said she would make sure my bills were put on hold as I was disputing them and that she would contact me within a week with a verdict on my dispute. Three more weeks pass without hearing anything so I call her and she tells me they still haven't decided. Then on May 30th I get a call from a debt collector saying the hospital put him in touch with me. I called Gloria and told her they were calling me, my husband argued with her for a while, then in the end she pretty much said she wasn't going to be able to do anything for me anyway, and it was her that said I needed to pay up or I would be deported.

I have just finished writing a letter of complaint to the State Health Service department. If they can't do anything for me I will contact the government attorney with regards to the threat I received from Gloria.

In that case I would advise you to get legal representation. You are being harassed and that is against the law.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Medical Negligence claim is the first thing that comes to mind.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Medical Negligence claim is the first thing that comes to mind.

I was considering that. I wrote in my letter to the Health Service department that the staff gave both my husband and I the impression that they didn't WANT me to have an abortion because they just downright refused to discuss my options with me every time I brought it up. I kept saying "My health is getting worse and worse, and I'm not getting any treatment, I can't go on like this for any longer. If I go to Planned Parenthood..." and they just kept saying "They can't give you an abortion until we know what's wrong", despite me telling them repeatedly that I had a pre-existing health condition that meant I was at risk of painful, complicated pregnancies along with ovarian cysts and that I couldn't afford the bills we would get (and that's when we thought they would only be $150!). The call in the middle of the night is what got me the most, because I actually received a separate bill for $150 from UT Medicine just for the doctor who saw me at the appointment I shouldn't have even been at. It's as if they called me in just to get more money out of me! That appointment came out to be the most expensive of all of them ($931 + the UT Medicine bill).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

In US terms those bills sound cheap.

$150 is more like a Doctor visit, not a Hospital visit.

Evidence may be key.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

A debt collector is prohibited from making false statements. Saying they'll deport you is a false statement as they have no power to do so.

You may want to do a quick read of this to see what your rights are now that they've turned you over to collections.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0149-debt-collection

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

In US terms those bills sound cheap.

$150 is more like a Doctor visit, not a Hospital visit.

Evidence may be key.

I so wish that we had recorded our conversations with the reception staff at the GYN department, just so we could PROVE that they quoted us $100-$150. More than one person quoted us those prices on multiple different dates, but we don't have any proof of this other than conversations I had with my family online in which they asked me how much our bills would be and I told them the prices we were quoted. Sigh. I don't know how they expect us to pay that much though when I didn't actually receive any treatment and had scans given to me without my request; I made it clear that I couldn't keep the baby no matter how much I wanted to, so why did they insist on giving me 4 scans within the space of 10 days if I had made it clear what I wanted/needed? I also mentioned in my letter that I have wondered if, had they treated me for my deteriorating health, my chances of being able to keep the baby may have been improved.. I guess we'll never know.

A debt collector is prohibited from making false statements. Saying they'll deport you is a false statement as they have no power to do so.

You may want to do a quick read of this to see what your rights are now that they've turned you over to collections.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0149-debt-collection

It wasn't the debt collector that said it, it was the patient relations representative from the hospital.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

A debt collector has no bearing on your immigration status - I would immediately file a complaint under the FDCPA (Fair Debt Collection Practices Act) and contact the attorney general in the state you are living in, as well as the better business bureau.

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.