shippingforecast

Lost In Translation

153 posts in this topic

Hi guys, just thought I'd start a fun thread to pass time whilst we're all waiting around going through various stages of the process.

My USC wife and I, quite often in the beginning of our relationship, had to stop each other mid-conversation to ask what certain words, phrases or concepts meant, and this sometimes led to pretty funny situations when what we meant got lost in translation. For example, the pants/trousers thing. We sometimes accommodate for each other and use each other's meanings; so the day I told her it was too hot for pants made her think I was walking around without any underwear on.

What's your favourite/funniest moment where something you or your partner said has gotten lost in translation?

Now chronicling my experience in handy blog format at

http://the-shipping-forecast.tumblr.com/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

lol, too hot for pants. That's hilarious.

Dude, my fiance and I have had so many experiences like this, especially since when we have a conversation, my fiance speaks Spanish and I speak English.

One time we were talking to some Spanish-speaking friends, one friend said (in Spanish), "Don't say big words around her [referring to me]!" which I was pretty offended by because I thought he was insinuating I was too dumb for advanced vocabulary. Later I told my fiance I thought that was mean of him to say, but my fiance didn't quite understand what was so offensive about it! Turns out, in Spanish a "big word" is a BAD word, like profanity, not a long word or an intellectual word. Whoops! Looks like the friend was just trying to be polite :)

USAMEXflag-small.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My fiance has been taking English classes for a little while now, but every now and then when we talk, half way thru a sentence she reverts back to Vitenamese! Then I have to say what the!!!! Not sure if she does it on purpose or not cause when I say what, she just laughs. Her cousin is my neighbor and I often go to gatherings at his house and when they are together they all speak Vietnamese and I just sit there like the "dumb American"!!! Atleast that is what I imagine they say!!

lol, too hot for pants. That's hilarious.

Dude, my fiance and I have had so many experiences like this, especially since when we have a conversation, my fiance speaks Spanish and I speak English.

One time we were talking to some Spanish-speaking friends, one friend said (in Spanish), "Don't say big words around her [referring to me]!" which I was pretty offended by because I thought he was insinuating I was too dumb for advanced vocabulary. Later I told my fiance I thought that was mean of him to say, but my fiance didn't quite understand what was so offensive about it! Turns out, in Spanish a "big word" is a BAD word, like profanity, not a long word or an intellectual word. Whoops! Looks like the friend was just trying to be polite :)

Ha! I like that one.

Her dad took us out for a meal once, and out of British politeness I always feel like I am obligated to clear my plate. He ordered us 30oz steaks.

I put about 6lbs on that week...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

Oh the pants thing. We both know what the other means when we say 'pants', which actually causes more trouble as we usually have to ask mid conversation "wait, do you mean YOUR pants or MY pants?" (meaning your definition or mine :P )

Others have included lush (means lovely, gorgeous, delicious etc to me and a drunk to him) and mate (means friend to me, animal naughties to him).

Oh and we've had many a joke argument about how to pronounce/spell aluminium ;)

Oh the pants thing. We both know what the other means when we say 'pants', which actually causes more trouble as we usually have to ask mid conversation "wait, do you mean YOUR pants or MY pants?" (meaning your definition or mine :P )

Others have included lush (means lovely, gorgeous, delicious etc to me and a drunk to him) and mate (means friend to me, animal naughties to him).

Oh and we've had many a joke argument about how to pronounce/spell aluminium ;)

Oh the aluminium argument... I think we've all been through that one! I remember one time rolling over in the morning and asking whether she wanted yo-ghurt for breakfast (as opposed to yog-hurt)... Don't think I'll ever live that one down.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

Oh the aluminium argument... I think we've all been through that one! I remember one time rolling over in the morning and asking whether she wanted yo-ghurt for breakfast (as opposed to yog-hurt)... Don't think I'll ever live that one down.

Haha that's another one! Thing is, we both love froyo, and for some reason saying "frozen yog-hurt" sounds wrong whereas "frozen yo-ghurt" sounds right. I'm met with a smug look every time I say it :P

I think it's the sames words, different pronunciations that are the most confusing! My husband was mentioning about a couple having a row, but the way he said it was really confusing (not to mention most Americans wouldn't use that to mean argument). We sorted it out once we got through the fact that we were saying the same word in different ways!

I think my favorite British word is chuffed. And I of course get mercilessly ribbed for my overuse of the word awesome (you really don't know how often you use that word until you're surrounded by Brits!).

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hahaha

I don't know how to pronunciate certain words. Jason was here last year and my mom was making a soup. He was in the room and I said:

"My mom is making soap and you will eat" (I pronuncied like soap, but wanting to say soup)

"No way, are you kidding?", he said.

"Really, she is doing, you will like"

When he saw the plate he said: You meant SOUP!!! You said SOAP!

I was like "omg, what a shame"

Was the funniest moment while he was here in my opinion

I think it's the sames words, different pronunciations that are the most confusing! My husband was mentioning about a couple having a row, but the way he said it was really confusing (not to mention most Americans wouldn't use that to mean argument). We sorted it out once we got through the fact that we were saying the same word in different ways!

I think my favorite British word is chuffed. And I of course get mercilessly ribbed for my overuse of the word awesome (you really don't know how often you use that word until you're surrounded by Brits!).

I actually use awesome quite a lot, already. I don't really know why. She watched a lot of Shameless UK before we met so I think she has a fairly good grasp of British slang, it just makes me laugh when she goes into a rant and she'll occasionally throw a very English curse word in.

I've known my husband 12 years and have lived with him over 5 years. That "pants" topic still does not compute with me. Yes. I know the difference but my brain won't acknowledge pants as under garments. If you say pants to me, you are talking about your jeans.

I can live with "aluminium" and "yoghurt" and "garage" as cute and quaintly British. But you know what drives me up the wall?? Vitamins. It is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Here's one on phrases I use--

Me: I need to run to the store. Out of cokes. (Means quick trip for one or two items).

Him: Since when have you ever run anywhere?

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I've known my husband 12 years and have lived with him over 5 years. That "pants" topic still does not compute with me. Yes. I know the difference but my brain won't acknowledge pants as under garments. If you say pants to me, you are talking about your jeans.

I can live with "aluminium" and "yoghurt" and "garage" as cute and quaintly British. But you know what drives me up the wall?? Vitamins. It is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Me: I need to run to the store. Out of cokes. (Means quick trip for one or two items).

Vitamins is a bit difficult to embrace sometimes! My other favorite is hearing my husband try and say words such as Tacos. I've grown up surrounded by delicious Mexican cuisine, but he's just now being introduced to that world!

I really hate that he calls the TV remote a "zapper" or a "clicker", but I agree that other words like Aluminium and Garage are just cute and quaintly British.

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My wife and I have fun arguments over words all the time like produce and aluminium. She chides me over our "u" in colour, flavour et al saying it's unnecessary. This from a person who says the ugly word faucet instead of tap! I think the American pronunciation that annoys me the most is erb instead of herb. It's not a silent h dammit!

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

I'll never forget my first trip out, visiting Spec's for some beers;

Me: "Can I have 20 Marlboro Black please?"

Server: "What?"

I didn't realise that cigarettes were only sold in one size packs there.

I'm pretty good with accents and impressions, so my wife once challenged me to see how well I could blend in with the local populace. So we drove to the nearest Walgreen's (again, for smokes). I asked for a pack of Camels, and was asked what variety I wanted. I replied "black", but hadn't really practiced that word before so it came out a little Canadian. This really aroused the suspicion of the server, so he asked for my ID. Imagine my embarrassment and his confusion when I handed over my UK driver's license...

... My wife was listening to the whole thing in the haircare aisle and just stood there, laughing. That taught me.

Edited by shippingforecast

I'll never forget my first trip out, visiting Spec's for some beers;

Me: "Can I have 20 Marlboro Black please?"

Server: "What?"

I didn't realise that cigarettes were only sold in one size packs there.

I'm pretty good with accents and impressions, so my wife once challenged me to see how well I could blend in with the local populace. So we drove to the nearest Walgreen's (again, for smokes). I asked for a pack of Camels, and was asked what variety I wanted. I replied "black", but hadn't really practiced that word before so it came out a little Canadian. This really aroused the suspicion of the server, so he asked for my ID. Imagine my embarrassment and his confusion when I handed over my UK driver's license...

... My wife was listening to the whole thing in the haircare aisle and just stood there, laughing. That taught me.

Great story! :lol:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.