flying_postman

Police certificate question

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Found out a couple of weeks ago that I "won" in the DV lottery and this site has been helpful in providing insight:

My question is regarding the police certificate, I'm a citizen of Trinidad but I worked & resided in the British Virgin Islands from 2008 to late 2010 before returning to Trinidad (I was employed on contract while there) would I have to obtain a police certificate from the BVI in addition with one from Trinidad. Since the police certificate request has to done in person this means I would possibly have to book a flight to BVI to request it and I'm doubtful I'll get it in a single day, which may mean a 2nd flight to obtain it or would just the certificate from Trinidad alone suffice in the Visa interview.

OR

Is it advisable that it would be easier to omit my time in the BVI from my DS-260 form.

Thanks in advance..

Edited by flying_postman

DO NOT omit the time you've spent there. They do background checks on applicants - if you spent that long there they are bound to find out. If you lie on the DS260 about something material, and that would be material (especially as the intention would be to avoid getting a police certificate, which you can understand would look suspicious to them) you will have committed immigration fraud according to US laws. This will not only result in visa denial but in a ban from entry to the US, possibly for life.

Now...have you checked the country reciprocity pages (which you will have,linked to if you have gone through the instructions for selectees) to see what they say about this? If they have something like "unavailable for non residents" it's normally acceptable to not have the PCC.

Thanks for the info but I just checked the BVI reciprocity page:

Police Records

Available from the Commissioner of Police, Royal Virgin Islands Police Force, Road Town, Tortola, B.V.I. Applicants must submit the following information in the form of an affidavit: full name as in shown in passport; date and place of birth; passport number and place issued; date and place of renewal of passport, if renewed; number of certificates required, and purpose of certificate. Fee: US$10.00 payable by check made out to the Accountant General, B.V.I

I was hoping I wouldn't have to but it looks like I'll have to go to the BVI. Also I have a CN of 10## what would be my estimate for a possible interview date and would you advise on holding off submitting the DS-260 until I have the BVI certificate in hand?

Police Records

Available from the Commissioner of Police, Royal Virgin Islands Police Force, Road Town, Tortola, B.V.I. Applicants must submit the following information in the form of an affidavit: full name as in shown in passport; date and place of birth; passport number and place issued; date and place of renewal of passport, if renewed; number of certificates required, and purpose of certificate. Fee: US$10.00 payable by check made out to the Accountant General, B.V.I

I was hoping I wouldn't have to but it looks like I'll have to go to the BVI. Also I have a CN of 10## what would be my estimate for a possible interview date and would you advise on holding off submitting the DS-260 until I have the BVI certificate in hand?

Based on past bulletins I believe you can expect a interview between March & April 2015 with that CN# as per holding off I personally don't believe so unless you believe that you will not be able to get it in time for the interview most police certificates are valid for a 6 months period.

Nice to see another Trini here

Based on past bulletins I believe you can expect a interview between March & April 2015 with that CN# as per holding off I personally don't believe so unless you believe that you will not be able to get it in time for the interview most police certificates are valid for a 6 months period.

Nice to see another Trini here

Same here man and thanks for the estimate.. I'll give the RVI police force a call to get the specfics and I'll also have to time this right to ensure that the certificate is still valid during my estimated interview dates...

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Police Records

I just quickly googled and found this page ( http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/central-south-amer/british-virgin-islands.asp ). Even though it is for immigrating to Canada, it does explain how to get a police certificate from the British Virgin Islands. So maybe you can call or email the BVI police to confirm that you can do it by mail or at least confirm what the procedure is.

If you live outside the British Virgin Islands

You may apply by mail, in person or someone may apply on your behalf. The police clearance will be mailed to you or given in person.

You must include:

• certified copies of the first five pages of your passport

• a full set of fingerprints taken by a recognized police authority

• an addressed envelope to have the clearance mailed to you

• the applicable fees

DV-2015 Selectee - Case Number SA03xx - Born in Trinidad, WI / Grew up in Canada - Successful interview: Oct 2nd, 2014 @ Montreal

OK, I called them this morning and they've just emailed me a soft copy of the form that I'll have to fill out and return to them. in addition I will have to send:

1. Two passport size photographs, no later than six months old
2. A certified copy of the biography page of your valid passport
3. Twenty dollars (US currency), payment is accepted in either cash, check or money order/bank draft
Even better (and most important) once processed they can send the certificate to me via mail or FEDEX via a pre paid envelope..

• 1 year later...

Thank you for this post.

It was so helpful today.

ROC Timeline 

ROC Package Sent: May 3rd, 2018

ROC Package Received: May 4th, 2018 (VSC)

NOA1 Date: May 30th, 2018

Biometrics Notice Date: 06/15/2018 

Biometrics Notice Received: 06/23/2018

Biometrics Appointment Date: 07/05/2018 

NOA (18 mth extension): 08/06/2018 (received on 08/14/2018)

RFE Email for Additional Info: 5/23/19

Sent RFE for Additional Info: 8/5/19

RFE for Additional Info Received: 8/23/19

Transfer to another USCIS Office Notice via email: 9/17/19

Transfer for another USCIS Office Notice Date: 9/15/19

Transfer for another USCIS Office Notice Received: 9/24/19

Infopass appointment(received a I-551 stamp for a year extension) - 11/15/19

AOS Time Line

AOS package mailed: 01/21/2016

AOS package received: 01/25/2016 (day 4)

AOS Notice Date: 01/27/2016 (day 6)

AOS Fingerprint fee received: 01/27/2016 (day 6)

AOS/EAD/AP NOA-1 text/email: 01/28/2016 (day 7)

AOS/EAD NOA-1 hardcopy: 02/05/2016 (day 15)

Biometrics Notice Date: 02/06/2016 (day 16)

Biometrics Letter Received 02/15/16 (day 25)

Biometrics Apt Date: 02/24/2016 (day 34)

RFE Text for AOS Application Received: 02/24/2016 (day 34)

RFE Hardcopy Received: 02/29/2016 (day 39)

Mailed RFE Documentation: 03/02/2016 (day 41)

Received Confirmation of Receipt of RFE Documentation via USCIS Website: 03/08/2016 (Day 47)

Approval for EAD/AP and Card Ordered: 04/01/2016 (Day 71)

EAD/AP Card Sent: 04/06/2016 (Day 76)

EAD/AP Card Received: 04/08/16 (Day 78)

Approval Notice Date for AOS: 05/05/2016 (Day 105)

Received Hardcopy Notice for AOS: 05/11/2016 (Day 111)

AOS Text/Email - Mailed AOS Documentation (Green Card): 06/09/16 (Day 140)

Received AOS Documentation (Green Card: 06/11/16 (Day 142)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.