Danno

Pres. Obama defends use of "Negro" as "in artful"

29 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

What's being said there is that the man has put his money where his mouth is in supporting equality for people of colour and he said a bad word and has gone on to apologize and what's the point in holding that over his head in the face of years and years of good work, especially when the context of using the bad word was in complimenting a person.

What's the relevance of this posting, Danno?

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

What's being said there is that the man has put his money where his mouth is in supporting equality for people of colour and he said a bad word and has gone on to apologize and what's the point in holding that over his head in the face of years and years of good work, especially when the context of using the bad word was in complimenting a person.

What's the relevance of this posting, Danno?

Danno is concerned with the plight of black people. It's in his every thought. He can't go a single day without making some obscure reference about us in any situation. If I didn't know better, I'd say he wants to be black.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

wait - Negro is a bad word? Was on census forms prior to getting changed over to African American.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

wait - Negro is a bad word? Was on census forms prior to getting changed over to African American.

It's considered to be a word which one may apply to oneself but which is rude to apply to others unless you are of African descent. The census forms allowed people to apply it to themselves.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

It's a word for the times. African American is the new term, even though it's wrong.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Danno is concerned with the plight of black people. It's in his every thought. He can't go a single day without making some obscure reference about us in any situation. If I didn't know better, I'd say he wants to be black.

:wub:

If I were Black, why just imagine the good work I could do from the inside.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

:wub:

If I were Black, why just imagine the good work I could do from the inside.

You and good work? Unspeakable. If you woke up one day and you were suddenly black, you would start imagining every way possible to end your flight. People can talk junk all day long but into they walk in some black shoes, they will never know.

Please find one of these talk shows that will turn you into a black man for 2 weeks please.

Filed: Timeline

It's all about a matter of convenience and the audience you are speaking to.

On most official forms I have seen White/Caucasian or Black/African American Indian/Native American

I like the term Afro or African American it has it's place just like the word Caucasian to describe Whites. In a matter of dialogue it is commonly acceptable to use the term White and Black interchangeably. I think if you are writing a scholarly paper or perhaps you are addressing an audience in a formal setting it is more socially acceptable to use the longer descriptions. But no when I am talking casually or on these forums I'm not going to type out usually Caucasian or African American - most of the time I am writing using the same words I would speak (minus the profanity) ;)

The word Negro is not socially acceptable anymore. African American geographically describes Black peoples origins. Just like Irish American, Italian American or Native American. Like I said in previous posts for me I think everyone should celebrate or recognize their cultural roots that is what this country is about.

Filed: Timeline

It's a word for the times. African American is the new term, even though it's wrong.

Yeah it is. Since europe is no longer a proper continent, that makes me an Asian American.

Makes about as much sense.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You and good work? Unspeakable. If you woke up one day and you were suddenly black, you would start imagining every way possible to end your flight. People can talk junk all day long but into they walk in some black shoes, they will never know.

Please find one of these talk shows that will turn you into a black man for 2 weeks please.

Me turned black for a few weeks sounds interesting.

I would love it, you would not.

The last thing you want is for me to be an even greater authority on all things black (well most things anyway).

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn