Harpa Timsah

Ga. governor signs 'guns everywhere' into law

54 posts in this topic

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/23/georgia-gun-law/8046315/

ELLIJAY, Ga. — It's legal for licensed gun owners in Georgia to pack heat in bars, schools, churches and some government buildings.

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal, a Republican, on Wednesday signed the state's "Safe Carry Protection Act," which critics dubbed the "guns everywhere bill," in north Georgia, on the edge of the Chattahoochee National Forest and Cohutta Wilderness area.

"Our state has some of the best protections for gun owners in the United States. And today we strengthen those rights protected by our nation's most revered founding document," Deal said in signing the bill.

The new law, which goes into effect July 1, allows licensed gun owners in Georgia and visitors from 28 other states to bring a gun into a bar without restrictions and carry a firearm into some government buildings that don't have security measures. It also allows school districts to decide whether they want some employees to carry a firearm and religious leaders to decide whether to allow licensed gun owners to tote to their church, synagogue or mosque.

________

Well, I am happy to have GA be a guinea pig in this "debate". I hope it doesn't end too disastrously for them.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/23/georgia-gun-law/8046315/

ELLIJAY, Ga. — It's legal for licensed gun owners in Georgia to pack heat in bars, schools, churches and some government buildings.

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal, a Republican, on Wednesday signed the state's "Safe Carry Protection Act," which critics dubbed the "guns everywhere bill," in north Georgia, on the edge of the Chattahoochee National Forest and Cohutta Wilderness area.

"Our state has some of the best protections for gun owners in the United States. And today we strengthen those rights protected by our nation's most revered founding document," Deal said in signing the bill.

The new law, which goes into effect July 1, allows licensed gun owners in Georgia and visitors from 28 other states to bring a gun into a bar without restrictions and carry a firearm into some government buildings that don't have security measures. It also allows school districts to decide whether they want some employees to carry a firearm and religious leaders to decide whether to allow licensed gun owners to tote to their church, synagogue or mosque.

________

Well, I am happy to have GA be a guinea pig in this "debate". I hope it doesn't end too disastrously for them.

and among other issues this year, they failed to approve a marijuana derivative oil that a local girl needs to save her life and manage her seizures., so they mother in child have to live in Colorado to get it. The medicine will not even make you high. Carry a gun into a bar, and get blinding drunk...Heck Yeah.. Advance science and save lives..No way

Is it just me or did Nature Boy suddenly go lib?

Reported. How dare you.

Is it just me or did Nature Boy suddenly go lib?

:thumbs:

He also went lib when he thought that a person who does a fairly complex job deserved more than minimum wage.

Welcome to the darkside.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

So you are against this law?

I am troubled. I am very pro freedom. Freedom to choose, Freedom to be most anything you wish as long as someone else does not have to witness it, condone it or fund it.

However carrying a gun into a bar.. We have some clubs here that already have a few shootings s a year. I still think the club owner can ban them. Carrying a weapon into an Airport ? You got to be kidding me?

What really tweaked my butt was those idiots in Atlanta could not pass an exception to the law to get a little girl her medicine.

I guess it should be left up to each business. Kind of like smoking. I hate smoking in a Restaurant. I hate even worse a govt telling a guy people can't smoke in his place.

If you don't like it leave.

As for me becoming a liberal.. I guess I am guilty. Not working for over a year and sucking off others, makes you want to suck even more.

I am troubled. I am very pro freedom. Freedom to choose, Freedom to be most anything you wish as long as someone else does not have to witness it, condone it or fund it.

However carrying a gun into a bar.. We have some clubs here that already have a few shootings s a year. I still think the club owner can ban them. Carrying a weapon into an Airport ? You got to be kidding me?

What really tweaked my butt was those idiots in Atlanta could not pass an exception to the law to get a little girl her medicine.

I guess it should be left up to each business. Kind of like smoking. I hate smoking in a Restaurant. I hate even worse a govt telling a guy people can't smoke in his place.

As for me becoming a liberal.. I guess I am guilty. Not working for over a year and sucking off others, makes you want to suck even more.

Right, freedom is good. But the nature of freedom is that it doesn't harm others, or threaten to take away other people's freedom. I don't want to be killed in a bar fight because the perpetrator wanted freedom to kill me. Unbridled freedom is less free than controlled freedom, as paradoxical as it sounds. I think we should strive for maximum freedom, and that does not mean letting people have guns in bars.

Regarding smoking, why should people be subjected to second-hand smoke? I live in an area with a restaurant smoking ban and smokers still smoke and they are fine. Do you know who will pick up the tab when they get cancer? Possibly the gov. So why should the gov allow them to smoke and bother everyone, when it just makes their own healthcare costs go up? Should I be allowed to poop on the floor in a restaurant, just because I want to? is that freedom? or does that harm the other people in the joint more than it lets me be free?

I would be for letting businesses decide, but unfortunately too many decide in a way that is harmful. I don't think we should worship business owners and let them do whatever they please. Let everyone have special segregated restaurants just because they are business owners? No thanks.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Right, freedom is good. But the nature of freedom is that it doesn't harm others, or threaten to take away other people's freedom. I don't want to be killed in a bar fight because the perpetrator wanted freedom to kill me. Unbridled freedom is less free than controlled freedom, as paradoxical as it sounds. I think we should strive for maximum freedom, and that does not mean letting people have guns in bars.

Regarding smoking, why should people be subjected to second-hand smoke? I live in an area with a restaurant smoking ban and smokers still smoke and they are fine. Do you know who will pick up the tab when they get cancer? Possibly the gov. So why should the gov allow them to smoke and bother everyone, when it just makes their own healthcare costs go up? Should I be allowed to poop on the floor in a restaurant, just because I want to? is that freedom? or does that harm the other people in the joint more than it lets me be free?

I would be for letting businesses decide, but unfortunately too many decide in a way that is harmful. I don't think we should worship business owners and let them do whatever they please. Let everyone have special segregated restaurants just because they are business owners? No thanks.

I said in my earlier post, your rights stop where mine start. Not having to be around a sloppy drunk idiot with a Glock .40 full of hollow points is my right.

If I open an establishment with my money and choose to cater to smokers, what business is it of the Govt's ? I think if you don't like it vote with your dollars.

I would not eat at smoke filled restaurants, just for the record

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

There used to be a bar in Macon Ga called the " Cornerpocket " Un-armed customers were a minority there and if they ever visited again they usually were with someone who was packing or packing themselves on their second visit!

Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is what you get from not reading it.

The Liberal mind is where logic goes to die!

There used to be a bar in Macon Ga called the " Cornerpocket " Un-armed customers were a minority there and if they ever visited again they usually were with someone who was packing or packing themselves on their second visit!

I seem to recall. A biker bar ? was it on Gray hwy ?

Can you imagine all the Patrons of Club Money packing. Macon is already a war zone

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Kind of like smoking. I hate smoking in a Restaurant. I hate even worse a govt telling a guy people can't smoke in his place.

Ah yes. "Leave"

Now if smokers don't like it, they can leave.