omardagame123

K1 Visa Help

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys. So last month my fiancee had her interview and she got denied and was told to provide 2 documents in order to continue. First one was a letter from IRS stating I didn't file for taxes, and form I 864 for joint sponsor. I used my mother as joint sponsor and we provided the forms they asked for. So today, she receives a letter from the Consulate saying

Thank you for your communication regarding the below-referenced immigrant visa case. In order to continue processing the case, please send to the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal the following items: your joint sponsor does meet the poverty guideline, your case requires another joint sponsor. Please have the I 864 and 2012 or 2013 completed and sent to our office for review.

I wanted to know what do you guys suggest we do? Like this makes no sense. It clearly says joint sponsor meets the poverty guideline -__- .. Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I am sure they meant that the joint sponsor did not meet the requirement and they are asking for a new joint sponsor from you that does.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

I am sure they meant that the joint sponsor did not meet the requirement and they are asking for a new joint sponsor from you that does.

Can the joint sponsor be a close friend? I was going to ask one of my best friends.

Timeline

Yes, it can be any USC or LPR that resides anywhere in the US.

Okay thanks! So pretty much they just fill out I 864 with supporting documents and thats it? I don't need to fill out anything myself?

Timeline

Yes, sounds like they just want to provide a joint sponsor that meets the requirement for their own household size plus the intending immigrant.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Yes, sounds like they just want to provide a joint sponsor that meets the requirement for their own household size plus the intending immigrant.

Would I be able to combine my mothers income and my friends income? If I can, what forms do they fill out?

Timeline

No. Only a qualifying household member can combine their income with someone filling out an I-864 by filling out an accompanying I-864A.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.