Kristy.Brown

police checks australia

21 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,I'm in Australia and we've just received our NOA2! I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I need finger prints and a police certificate, or just the police certificate? This is for CR1 visa.

thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Welcome to VJ! Because of your specific question, I'm moving your thread to the Australia/New Zealand regional forum. Folks from there will be along to help soon.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

The embassy website had not been particularly clear on this point. So some people have got the name check with finger prints and some people just the name check. This updated page provides advice on a state by state basis: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/obtain_police_cert.html

While some are still not as clear as they could be, it indicates that they only require the name check (and not the finger print check).

I-129F posted: 25/11/2013

NOA1: 9/12/2013

Alien Registration Number Changed: 10/12/2013

NOA2: 5/2/2014

Received at NVC: 19/02/2014

Left NVC: 24/02/2014

Received at Consulate: 10/03/2014

Received Packet 3: 10/03/2014

Consulate Interview: 8/04/2014

POE LAX: 2/07/2014

Married: 11/07/2014

AOS posted: 17/07/2014

I had the name and fingerprint check done in January last year (I got a little ahead of myself with getting things done) and I'm only just getting to the interview stage now so I contacted the NVC to see if I needed to get a current name and fingerprint check or if I only needed a name check. The gentleman I spoke with at the NVC said that all I needed was the name check.

Call the NVC and get their opinion if you're not sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

According to the current Dept of State website on Country Reciprocity (http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country/AS.html), there is no mention of needing a fingerprint check.

2014OC000021**

Entry Checked: 02 May 2013
Forms Sent: Mid May 2013
Forms recieved by KCC: Early June 2013
2nd NL:
Documents:
Police Report:
Medical:
Interview:
Potential Entry: Dallas, TX

The US Embassy website provides information on police certificates in several sections. It's FAQ also covers this particular question:

"What type of Australian police check is required?

Depending on which Australian state or territory in which you reside will depend on how to apply for the Australian police certificate.

You only need to apply for 1 Australian police certificate and it can be based on a name or fingerprint check.

A police check based on name check only must contain all aliases previously and presently used."

kristy the answer seems to vary widely, we did the fingerprint just to make sure.

I can't seem to get an answer if there is a time expiration for the check, some say 6 months, some say 1 yr, some say none. the consulate gives one answer, immigration another, and aussie police another LOL :rofl:

think we did the same as maree getting ahead LOL, when you rang what did they say?

cheers

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The US Embassy website provides information on police certificates in several sections. It's FAQ also covers this particular question:

"What type of Australian police check is required?

Depending on which Australian state or territory in which you reside will depend on how to apply for the Australian police certificate.

You only need to apply for 1 Australian police certificate and it can be based on a name or fingerprint check.

A police check based on name check only must contain all aliases previously and presently used."

Thanks for that!

Sorry if I am hijacking but once NOA2 is received (i'm still waiting) and I wanna make sure I have my next steps right seeing as Sydney consulate changed their way of doing packet 3 and interview.

So when my NOA2 comes

1. The petition goes to NVC, we can call up for a case number,

2. I can then apply online for my AFP police + fingerprint check with that number and before I hear from the Sydney consulate, and this is where i get confused

Did you print out a receipt and go to the police station and ask them to mail both the fingerprints and the certificate to the consulate?! or are we expected to receive one/and they receive the other?

And the police check can take up to a month, right?

I wanna make sure i am sending my prints to the correct place when that time comes!

It's all confusing me, I did a search on this but nothing was clear

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

no worries sweet it's a bit like that...

one thing we didn't know, not all aussie police stations/locations do the fingerprinting

we just got a certificate posted to us that said name and fingerprint all good blah blah, it has watermarks and other security features

yes have been told the check can take up to 4 weeks, ours took 2 1/2.......

how did the way of doing things at Sydney change?

just curious.....

not sure I helped you at all, the nvc seems so much more full on that first stage NOA1 stuff ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh LOL

So when my NOA2 comes

1. The petition goes to NVC, we can call up for a case number,

2. I can then apply online for my AFP police + fingerprint check with that number and before I hear from the Sydney consulate, and this is where i get confused

Did you print out a receipt and go to the police station and ask them to mail both the fingerprints and the certificate to the consulate?! or are we expected to receive one/and they receive the other?

And the police check can take up to a month, right?

The petitioner will receive correspondence from NVC once they have assigned a case number and forwarded it to the US Consulate in Sydney. You don't need to call, but you can if you find it is taking longer than expected to be processed by NVC. (NVC had our petition for less than a week).

I believe only NSW and QLD will require your case number allocated by NVC, as they are the only states that will send the certificate directly to the consulate (so the case number is necessary to match it up with your file). If you are applying through another state, then you can apply for your police certificate at any time.

When you apply for the police check, you will want either a 'name check' or 'name and finger print check'. If you chose the later, you will be required to go to a police station to have your finger prints taken (some do ink, some will scan. If you go through the AFP they will require ink). The police service in your state will then do a check against national databases based on your name (and finger prints if you have that done). They will then send the police certificate you, or the consulate if you are in NSW or QLD. You will not receive a copy of your finger prints.

There is also a service for 'name check and finger prints' which is something different. This means they will provide a certificate based on a name check, and then take your prints and provide you with a copy but not actually do a check on them. This is for those people who also need to apply for a police certificate in other countries and have to supply finger prints taken by an authorised law enforcement agency.

Conducting the actual police check doesn't take very long, but the processing time will vary depending on the workload of the state in which you are applying. So it could be turned around in a week, or it could take up to a month. In our case, it took two months.

Edited by darin&josh

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The petitioner will receive correspondence from NVC once they have assigned a case number and forwarded it to the US Consulate in Sydney. You don't need to call, but you can if you find it is taking longer than expected to be processed by NVC. (NVC had our petition for less than a week).

I believe only NSW and QLD will require your case number allocated by NVC, as they are the only states that will send the certificate directly to the consulate (so the case number is necessary to match it up with your file). If you are applying through another state, then you can apply for your police certificate at any time.

When you apply for the police check, you will want either a 'name check' or 'name and finger print check'. If you chose the later, you will be required to go to a police station to have your finger prints taken (some do ink, some will scan. If you go through the AFP they will require ink). The police service in your state will then do a check against national databases based on your name (and finger prints if you have that done). They will then send the police certificate you, or the consulate if you are in NSW or QLD. You will not receive a copy of your finger prints.

There is also a service for 'name check and finger prints' which is something different. This means they will provide a certificate based on a name check, and then take your prints and provide you with a copy but not actually do a check on them. This is for those people who also need to apply for a police certificate in other countries and have to supply finger prints taken by an authorised law enforcement agency.

Conducting the actual police check doesn't take very long, but the processing time will vary depending on the workload of the state in which you are applying. So it could be turned around in a week, or it could take up to a month. In our case, it took two months.

This was the most incredibly helpful and clear post on this topic yet! THANK YOU! :goofy:

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.