karla3974

Citizenship for my son

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

hi,

i started my citizenship paperwork and was sent in December 17, 2013. Since then the Department of Homeland security sent me an email in December 23, 2013 that my application was received and then i was given a bio metric appointment on January 17 2014, after the bio metric appointment they scheduled me for an interview March 18, 2014. The interview was fairly quick and easy, it took about 30 minutes to get through it. in the interview the lady didn't exactly give me an answer whether i was accepted or not due to some tax information problems that they were going to be looking at, but i met all the requirements. Later on they sent me a letter in the mail and i was accepted and in the letter there was the date for my oath ceremony on May 1st 2014. In the N-400 form i list my son who is under 18 (he will be 18 in August 28th). Since my son was listed in the form he becomes an automatic citizen after my oath ceremony.My question is after my oath ceremony, what steps can i take for my son to acquire his U.S passport considering he will not be at the oath ceremony. is there any forms i should fill for him? I'm not sure what the next step for him would be so he can obtain his U.S passport. I'd appreciate some help and advice.

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Laos
Timeline

hi,

i started my citizenship paperwork and was sent in December 17, 2013. Since then the Department of Homeland security sent me an email in December 23, 2013 that my application was received and then i was given a bio metric appointment on January 17 2014, after the bio metric appointment they scheduled me for an interview March 18, 2014. The interview was fairly quick and easy, it took about 30 minutes to get through it. in the interview the lady didn't exactly give me an answer whether i was accepted or not due to some tax information problems that they were going to be looking at, but i met all the requirements. Later on they sent me a letter in the mail and i was accepted and in the letter there was the date for my oath ceremony on May 1st 2014. In the N-400 form i list my son who is under 18 (he will be 18 in August 28th). Since my son was listed in the form he becomes an automatic citizen after my oath ceremony.My question is after my oath ceremony, what steps can i take for my son to acquire his U.S passport considering he will not be at the oath ceremony. is there any forms i should fill for him? I'm not sure what the next step for him would be so he can obtain his U.S passport. I'd appreciate some help and advice.

Thank you.

karla3974,

Your son did, it sounds, become eligible for citizenship the moment you became a citizen. To authenticate this citizenship, it must be petitioned for by the legal parent or guardian via an N-600 petition. It is not free.

You will find information in this link: http://www.uscis.gov/n-600

I should add that I have focused the majority of my concerns on the N-400 petition and, as such, am not very familiar with N-600 petitions. It is quite possible that there are exceptions that permit you to forgo filing this petition so I encourage you to research the matter further.

Good luck.

Panem today, Panem tomorrow, Panem forever...

I have neither legal training nor immigration expertise; all comments posted must therefore be consumed in that vein.

My Naturalisation Timeline (Last updated: 16-April-14)

29-MAR-14: N-400 Petition Dispatched to USCIS [t-2]

30-MAR-14: Eligible to File N-400 Petition [t-1]

31-MAR-14: N-400 Petition Received by USCIS [t=0]

31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Dated [t=0]

31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Priority Date [t=0]

04-APR-14: Payment cheque cashed by USCIS [t+4]

07-APR-14: Online Status - Biometrics Appointment Notice Dispatched [t+7]

07-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Dated [t+7]

08-APR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Received [t+8]

14-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Received [t+14]

01-MAY-14: Biometrics Appointment [t+31]

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Interview Scheduling

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Interview Scheduled

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Dated

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Received

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Date

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduling

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduled

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Dated

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Received

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Date

00-XXX-14: US Passport Application Dispatched

00-XXX-14: US Passport Received

:dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

hi,

Thank you.

You can apply for your son's passport with your application or after your passport. You will need to send his green card as well to prove he is a resident. Now regarding the N600, you have the option either to apply or not. Applying for will make USCIS update their record and put him as a US citizen. If you don't it's ok since he will have the passport as a proof. Now it's better to do it because if he is older and lost his passport then he would't find any proof and USCIS won't help him if he can't prove that you were a citizen before he turned 18. So applying for it is the best option after getting his passport. Good luck.

Timeline

You can apply for your son's passport with your application or after your passport. You will need to send his green card as well to prove he is a resident. Now regarding the N600, you have the option either to apply or not. Applying for will make USCIS update their record and put him as a US citizen. If you don't it's ok since he will have the passport as a proof. Now it's better to do it because if he is older and lost his passport then he would't find any proof and USCIS won't help him if he can't prove that you were a citizen before he turned 18. So applying for it is the best option after getting his passport. Good luck.

thank you so much, could i apply the n600 form sometime after he's 18 or should i do it before he turns 18?

Timeline

karla3974,

Your son did, it sounds, become eligible for citizenship the moment you became a citizen. To authenticate this citizenship, it must be petitioned for by the legal parent or guardian via an N-600 petition. It is not free.

You will find information in this link: http://www.uscis.gov/n-600

I should add that I have focused the majority of my concerns on the N-400 petition and, as such, am not very familiar with N-600 petitions. It is quite possible that there are exceptions that permit you to forgo filing this petition so I encourage you to research the matter further.

Good luck.

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Laos
Timeline

thank you so much, could i apply the n600 form sometime after he's 18 or should i do it before he turns 18?

I believe it is required to do this before he turns 18. Please, read the link with the information.

Panem today, Panem tomorrow, Panem forever...

I have neither legal training nor immigration expertise; all comments posted must therefore be consumed in that vein.

My Naturalisation Timeline (Last updated: 16-April-14)

29-MAR-14: N-400 Petition Dispatched to USCIS [t-2]

30-MAR-14: Eligible to File N-400 Petition [t-1]

31-MAR-14: N-400 Petition Received by USCIS [t=0]

31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Dated [t=0]

31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Priority Date [t=0]

04-APR-14: Payment cheque cashed by USCIS [t+4]

07-APR-14: Online Status - Biometrics Appointment Notice Dispatched [t+7]

07-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Dated [t+7]

08-APR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Received [t+8]

14-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Received [t+14]

01-MAY-14: Biometrics Appointment [t+31]

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Interview Scheduling

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Interview Scheduled

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Dated

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Received

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Date

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduling

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduled

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Dated

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Received

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Date

00-XXX-14: US Passport Application Dispatched

00-XXX-14: US Passport Received

:dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

You can apply whenever you want. You know once a US. Citizen, always a US citizen. Him turning 18 only comes about when you naturalized. So no you dont have to worry about when you can apply. But I advice you to apply for his passport soon because you never what could come up and when you have to travel. After that you can apply whenever you want to for the N600. Oh update his social security as well so you get his status right with them.

Timeline

You can apply whenever you want. You know once a US. Citizen, always a US citizen. Him turning 18 only comes about when you naturalized. So no you dont have to worry about when you can apply. But I advice you to apply for his passport soon because you never what could come up and when you have to travel. After that you can apply whenever you want to for the N600. Oh update his social security as well so you get his status right with them.

Thank you soo much for your help :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.