SoloJourney

want to start citizenship process but i am about to move?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

hey guys,

I've been a green card holder for a little over 3 years. My husband, US Citizen, and I would like to start my naturalization process.

I believe I meet the requirements to start the process, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

However, we most likely will be moving out of state in the next few months, most likely far away from where we are now.

Since I most likely will be filling at Vermont, will my case be able to be transferred to different USCIS offices? It states on the guide than some states file to certain USCIS offices.

Thanks in advance Visajourney knowledgeable members!

Bxsjourney

Edited by Bxzjourney

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Peru

I-129F Sent : 2010-06-03

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-06-09

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-07-13

NVC Received : 2010-07-16

NVC Left : 2010-07-19

If I am not mistaken, you have to have lived in your state for 3 months before you can file naturalization to establish residency. You may want to wait until 3 months after you have moved to file.

This is how I understood the rules, I may be wrong, someone will confirm this I'm sure :)

If I am not mistaken, you have to have lived in your state for 3 months before you can file naturalization to establish residency. You may want to wait until 3 months after you have moved to file.

This is how I understood the rules, I may be wrong, someone will confirm this I'm sure :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

You have to be living in the local district area for at least 3 months. There was a guy here who was denied because he forgot that and applied right after he moved. Don't do that mistake. Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Correct... You cannot transfer the case, 3 months residency where you apply... I would wait. Once you meet the requirements, the process is fairly straight forward and compared to all the other visa stuff, the easiest step in the whole journey...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

Yes definitely don't apply until you've moved and lived in your new state for 3 months! The person who applied right after they moved had to re-apply and pay for all the fees again. And they made his wife go through the whole process including the interview before they told her she needs to withdraw the application or be denied citizenship!

CITIZENSHIP:
Eligibility Criteria: 5 years
xx-xx-1998: Eligibility Date
11-12-2013: Application Sent
11-19-2013: NOA Date
11-19-2013: Check/Money Order Cashed
11-22-2013: Bio-metric Letter sent Date
12-05-2013: Bio-metric Date
01-10-2014: In-line for Interview
02-06-2014: Interview Letter Received
03-12-2014: Interview Date

03-21-2014: In Oath Scheduling Que

03-24-2014: Oath Scheduled Notice Mailed

04-09-2014: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Laos
Timeline

To the Original Poster,

You have been given somewhat misleading information in most of the responses above.

Simply put, a petitioner must have lived continuously in the jurisdiction where they file for three months prior to the filing date. However, a naturalisation petitioner who moves from the district of application where the application is already pending may, at any time thereafter, request to transfer the petition to any other district in the United States. In the case of such a transfer, the proceedings on the original petition shall continue as though the application had originally been filed in the new district to which the petition is transferred.

That said, you must consider the following two scenarios and make the informed decision:

1) Are you in a hurry to file?

If yes, the submit the petition now regardless of the fact that you intend to move in a few months.

Benefits:

i) You will save time! If you were to wait till you moved, you would have to add the "few months' time" in which you indicated you plan to move to the minimum three-month requirement for continuous jurisdictional residency. Let us assume that you planned to move in four months, then you would automatically delay your petition by a minimum of seven months.

ii) Potential to complete the petition before you move. Assuming that you have already been eligible for quite some time now, submitting your petition now places you, quite realistically, rather well to complete your petition before you even move. Let us assume that you do indeed intend to re-locate out of your jurisdiction in four months, it is entirely conceivable that you could have this petition adjudicated before then.

Drawback:

i) You throw yourself at the mercy of the administrative efficiency (or lack thereof!) of the USCIS. Some petitioners have transferred their N-400 petitions fairly smoothly. Others have encountered road bumps. However, accepting that an administrative road bump could occur anyway at any stage of your petition, even when a jurisdictional transfer is not involved, puts into perspective that the marginal administrative risk associated with transferring your case to the new jusrisdiction you re-locate to is not as great as it may sound.

2) Are you unhurried to have your petition submitted and adjudicated this year?

If yes, then waiting till you have re-located to your new jurisdiction and satisfied the three-month continuous residency requirement might be the better option.

Benefits:

i) Peace of Mind. The process is fairly stressful without adding psychological complications. This is not to say you would be unsuccessful under the previous scenario, but more to to indicate that if your faith in the process is already wavering, it might be the better psychological option to follow the more traditional route.

Drawback:

i) None. By definition, you would have indicated that time is not a factor and therefore, you have nothing to lose under this scenario.

I hope you can make an informed decision. A good place to start is to investigate how much success previous petitioners who have transferred their pending petitioners to your intended jurisdiction have had.

Good luck.

Panem today, Panem tomorrow, Panem forever...

I have neither legal training nor immigration expertise; all comments posted must therefore be consumed in that vein.

My Naturalisation Timeline (Last updated: 16-April-14)

29-MAR-14: N-400 Petition Dispatched to USCIS [t-2]

30-MAR-14: Eligible to File N-400 Petition [t-1]

31-MAR-14: N-400 Petition Received by USCIS [t=0]

31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Dated [t=0]

31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Priority Date [t=0]

04-APR-14: Payment cheque cashed by USCIS [t+4]

07-APR-14: Online Status - Biometrics Appointment Notice Dispatched [t+7]

07-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Dated [t+7]

08-APR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Received [t+8]

14-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Received [t+14]

01-MAY-14: Biometrics Appointment [t+31]

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Interview Scheduling

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Interview Scheduled

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Dated

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Received

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Date

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduling

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduled

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Dated

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Received

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Date

00-XXX-14: US Passport Application Dispatched

00-XXX-14: US Passport Received

:dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Thank you Darth Vader Ko, & co.

If any other member else has some relevant info to add, please feel free to do so.

Thanks

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Peru

I-129F Sent : 2010-06-03

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-06-09

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-07-13

NVC Received : 2010-07-16

NVC Left : 2010-07-19

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.