xprecious32

Canadian Income Tax Faux Paw. PLEASE HELP ME OUT

30 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So I filed as married this year on my Canadian tax return, HR block filed for me last year as single(was married in 2012). I am Canadian citizen still living in Canada. Hubby is US citizen still living in the US. We have never lived together, nor does he support me in anyway. I just received notification that I owe the Canadian government $24,000.00 for CTB,OTB, and GST because my marital status changed and they reassessed last years return. They want me to send them hubbies worldwide income. Why should his income matter, I've never seen a dime of his money? Will this affect me immigrating to the US. Case complete is only two weeks away, Interview should be early June. I'm a little worried about this. Please someone help me out here. Thanks

[url=
[url=[url=
event.png

05/19/12 : Got married

USCIS

07/21/13 : I-130 Mailed to USCIS

07/24/13 : NOA1

01/13/14 : Case transferred to CSC

01/31/14 : NOA2

NVC

02/11/14 : NVC received the case

03/18/14 : Case number assigned and IIN/BIN

03/19/14 : ENROLL Email sent (Did not receive auto reply)

03/20/14 : DS-261 Available and submitted

03/21/14 : AOS bill Available and paid

03/26/14 : AOS shows paid

03/26/14 : ENROLL email sent again (Received auto reply this time)

03/26/14 : AOS Emailed to NVC (No auto reply, but this is the email they responded too)

03/28/14 : IV bill available and paid

04/04/14 : IV shows paid

04/04/14 : DS-260 Available and completed

04/04/14 : IV package emailed to NVC(Haven't received ENROLL acceptance yet. but I figured I'd try and see what happens, Did not receive auto reply)

04/15/14 : AOS Emailed(received auto-reply)

04/17/14 : Received ENROLL acceptance email from NVC

04/17/14 : IV package emailed(Received Auto-reply)

04/17/14 : NVC acknowledges receipt of AOS-notice by email

04/21/14 : AOS approved (No checklist woo hoo, by phoning NVC))

04/21/14 : False check list for IV docs- email from NVC

04/28/14 : NVC reviewed DS-260

04/29/14 : False checklist for IV docs- email from NVC(the second one they've sent me)

05/05/14 : NVC acknowledges receipt of IV- notice by email

05/06/14 : Case Complete

05/14/14 : Interview scheduled--JUNE 25

06/03/14 : Medical with Dr. Ian Zatzman

07/11/14 : POE Qweenston/Lewiston Bridge New York

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

US or Canada government doesn't care how you and your husband deal with your finances. If you are married, you pay taxes on total income unless you file "married, filing separately" - here I'm talking about US income return. US does not tax foreign income up to the certain amount but there is an exclusion form that needs to be filed in that case. I'm not familiar with tax rules in Canada, but I do know that you can't file as single if you are married. As for your "Why should his income matter, I've never seen a dime of his money?" - I don't even know how to comment on that :) you are either totally ignorant about your responsibility as a taxpayer, or too young to understand anything about taxes :) Talk to your accountant and file amended return, you might end up paying less than 24k they requested. In US you pay less in taxes if you're married (percentage-wise), I hope that's the case in Canada as well.

Z

Timeline

US or Canada government doesn't care how you and your husband deal with your finances. If you are married, you pay taxes on total income unless you file "married, filing separately" - here I'm talking about US income return. US does not tax foreign income up to the certain amount but there is an exclusion form that needs to be filed in that case. I'm not familiar with tax rules in Canada, but I do know that you can't file as single if you are married. As for your "Why should his income matter, I've never seen a dime of his money?" - I don't even know how to comment on that :) you are either totally ignorant about your responsibility as a taxpayer, or too young to understand anything about taxes :) Talk to your accountant and file amended return, you might end up paying less than 24k they requested. In US you pay less in taxes if you're married (percentage-wise), I hope that's the case in Canada as well.

Z

How is me stating "Why should his income matter, I've never seen a dime of his money?" make me totally ignorant. We don't live together, never have. I don't see any of his money and he does not see any of mine. He supports his family in the US and I support mine here in Canada. Why should the Canadian government be allowed to tax ME and penalize me on money that I DID NOT receive. If we were living together, then yes by all means tax me on it. And how can the Canadian government tax monies that were NOT earned in or spent in Canada.

Not everyone knows everything about taxes, so for you to say I'm totally ignorant is very uncalled for and very rude. If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

[url=
[url=[url=
event.png

USCIS

NVC

03/26/14 : AOS Emailed to NVC (No auto reply, but this is the email they responded too)

04/04/14 : IV package emailed to NVC(Haven't received ENROLL acceptance yet. but I figured I'd try and see what happens, Did not receive auto reply)

04/29/14 : False checklist for IV docs- email from NVC(the second one they've sent me)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Unfortunately I don't know much about filing taxes while married (yet...), but did you talk about this situation with HR Block? That's where I'd start looking for answers.

K-1

I-129F NOA1 => NOA2: 161 days

NOA2 => Interview: 64 days

AP: 33 days

Total: 258 days

AOS

I-485 NOA => GC: 333 days

No Interview

ROC

07/30/2017: Package Sent

08/01/2017: NOA

09/07/2017: Biometrics

12/04/2018: Approved! 490 days

Come down, ok? Definition of marriage is not "I've never seen a dime of his money", so don't kill a messenger, ok? Who cares if you live apart, don't share money or agree on open marriage? Government? This is not knowing "everything" about taxes, it's basic, common and necessary knowledge like mortgage rates, car loan, simple and compounded interest, health insurance... this is something that you, as a responsible taxpayer, should educate yourself about. And, just for the record, I did try to help you and told you that amended return is your best option. You are married and you should file as married. Filing as single is misrepresentation - if you are not able to understand what was wrong with your return then nobody can help you. If you want to change the laws, go ahead... Again, talk to an accountant, it's going to be fixed in no time and shouldn't cost you a lot. Btw, I am an accountant and I know US tax laws really well, so I'm able to give you an advise about your husband's return, but not yours - what I know for sure is that it's not a huge problem and it can be fixed easily. I can look into Canada-US agreements and post what I find over the weekend. Peace? :)

Timeline

Unfortunately I don't know much about filing taxes while married (yet...), but did you talk about this situation with HR Block? That's where I'd start looking for answers.

Last year when I filed my taxes I went to H&R Block, gave them a copy of my marriage certificate and they are the ones that filed me as single. This year I filed myself and filed as married (cuz I'm supposed to). CRA reassessed my last years taxes, amended it from single to married, and that's why I owe now. So I don't think H&R Block will be much help as they are the ones that filed wrong in the first place. I will call CRA on Monday or Tuesday and see what they say. Was hoping someone on here was or has been in the same situation as I am in. Thanks for your reply

[url=
[url=[url=
event.png

USCIS

NVC

Timeline

Come down, ok? Definition of marriage is not "I've never seen a dime of his money", so don't kill a messenger, ok? Who cares if you live apart, don't share money or agree on open marriage? Government? This is not knowing "everything" about taxes, it's basic, common and necessary knowledge like mortgage rates, car loan, simple and compounded interest, health insurance... this is something that you, as a responsible taxpayer, should educate yourself about. And, just for the record, I did try to help you and told you that amended return is your best option. You are married and you should file as married. Filing as single is misrepresentation - if you are not able to understand what was wrong with your return then nobody can help you. If you want to change the laws, go ahead... Again, talk to an accountant, it's going to be fixed in no time and shouldn't cost you a lot. Btw, I am an accountant and I know US tax laws really well, so I'm able to give you an advise about your husband's return, but not yours - what I know for sure is that it's not a huge problem and it can be fixed easily. I can look into Canada-US agreements and post what I find over the weekend. Peace? :)

Last year when I filed, I filed on the advice of Tax people, who I thought knew what they were doing.(they filed me as single, even though I had given them a copy of my marriage certificate) After realizing they had done wrong, I amended the 2012 tax return and filed married for this years(2013) return and that is why they say I owe. When I e-filed this years return from the Canada Revenue Agency's website the program did NOT ask me for his income. I did not have to include his income when I filed. But now they are asking for it now. And because it was not included in the return they say I am not eligible for ANY of the benefits I received and have gone to back July 2012 and added up all the benefits that were given to me and say that I now owe the Canadian government. When we filed MFJ in the US, I did NOT have to include MY income on his return. I am not an idiot, and know the mistake that was made and have corrected it already. What I do NOT understand, like I said HOW can the Canadian government be justified on taxing someone for money they did NOT earn, did NOT receive, and that was NOT earned in Canada or received in Canada. So in order to know the answer to that question, I have to educate myself, which is exactly what I am trying to do. But it doesn't make me ignorant.

[url=
[url=[url=
event.png

USCIS

NVC

I just talked to one of my co-workers and she said that his income shouldn't be included in your return simply because he is a non-resident from Canada's perspective (this is correct, right?). It looks like you have to report his income, but once you select the non-resident option - everything should be calculated correctly. I'll ask more as it looks like that some of my co-workers are very familiar with Canada's taxes and rules and I'll post back - but it looks like you have to revise your forms (to file as married with non-resident husband) and everything will be fine.

Edited by Zee Zee

Timeline

That is exactly how I filed this years taxes was married with non resident spouse, and did not have to include his income on my return. But CRA is still asking for his income, but I didn't have to include it when I filed the return, that is what is confusing me?

[url=
[url=[url=
event.png

USCIS

NVC

Timeline

Interesting topic.

When I filed my 2013 CAD taxes last month I used Turbo Tax. It had places for me to list my husband as non resident (we married Sept 2013) and I filed as married. I spoke with CRA and officer said to just leave his income as 0 and to make sure I marked that he was non resident.

Leaving his income as 0, Turbo Tax then calculated a 'spousal amount' credit which I did not want to claim, as we do not live together and he did not contribute to my CAD income.

Because of this spousal credit amount, TT then calculated a refund of over $3000, which I knew I was not entitled to. The only way I could get the spousal amount to disappear was to report spouse's income. Hubby gave me his net income amount which is what I used within TT to get my refund down to a more appropriate amount.

When I called CRA again about this issue, they said many of the Tax companies software do not allow properly for non resident spouses, and that I was best to do a paper form and send it in, that was the only way to make sure the Spousal amount did not come into play.

I chose to Netfile with TT, including my non resident spouse's income.

I haven't been reassessed so far, so I'll be interested to see if I am.

Xprecious32, please update to let us know what happens after you talk to CRA about your reassessment.

Peace.

Edited by Sylea

Yeah, I wouldn't trust H & R Block or any of them to know what's what with a complicated US/Canada tax situation.

Interesting topic.

When I filed my 2013 CAD taxes last month I used Turbo Tax. It had places for me to list my husband as non resident (we married Sept 2013) and I filed as married. I spoke with CRA and officer said to just leave his income as 0 and to make sure I marked that he was non resident.

Leaving his income as 0, Turbo Tax then calculated a 'spousal amount' credit which I did not want to claim, as we do not live together and he did not contribute to my CAD income.

Because of this spousal credit amount, TT then calculated a refund of over $3000, which I knew I was not entitled to. The only way I could get the spousal amount to disappear was to report spouse's income. Hubby gave me his net income amount which is what I used within TT to get my refund down to a more appropriate amount.

When I called CRA again about this issue, they said many of the Tax companies software do not allow properly for non resident spouses, and that I was best to do a paper form and send it in, that was the only way to make sure the Spousal amount did not come into play.

I chose to Netfile with TT, including my non resident spouse's income.

I haven't been reassessed so far, so I'll be interested to see if I am.

Xprecious32, please update to let us know what happens after you talk to CRA about your reassessment.

Peace.

This is exactly how this is done. This year I filed a paper return because I did not want to include my husband's income on my taxes. I talked to CRA international and followed their instructions.

xprecious32:

Last year, 2012, I filed my taxes with H&R block because I still had unused tuition amounts. With them (and calling CRA before filing to make sure) I had to report my husband's world wide income even though we lived completely separately. I paid for my stuff and he paid for his stuff, visits, and immigration. Because the AB and Canadian govt still sent me money while they figured everything out, I ended up having to pay them back as well. They should just stop sending money at the 1st of the year until you do your taxes then pro-rate it afterwards as this isn't the first time I've had that issue.

You filed incorrectly last year. You can get H&R block to review the case (which they should do for free since this is their mess up) and figure out how to fix it or see if you can amend it and not include his income, but generally for things like CCTB and other tax credits, the CRA want family income. You can also contact the CRA and see if you can negotiate a settlement since you will hopefully be leaving the country in the future.

Also you may want to make sure you call CCTB and GST/HST to cancel your payments before you leave Canada after your interview. They are two separate numbers.

Yeah, I wouldn't trust H & R Block or any of them to know what's what with a complicated US/Canada tax situation.

OP isn't in the USA yet though. My H&R block tax preparer had no issues doing my return in 2012. I did my own return this year on paper. Even expensive accountants screw up. My ex went through 4 or 5 accountants preparing his taxes because the companies kept messing up and he'd end up owing thousands of dollars.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

NLR - just to clarify - I decided to declare my non resident spouse's income as I had no other way to eliminate the spousal credit amount on Turbo Tax. I don't expect any problems with CRA, primarily because I am over the income threshold to claim GST and no longer get child tax benefits. I had unused tuition amounts to claim from my child, and will have them for this year too. Also CRA told me they look at the date of marriage when they are reviewing.

I am expecting it to be more challenging to file my 2013 CAD taxes next year as I figure to be living in the US by end of this year.

On a secondary note - I found the folks at CRA very helpful when I called them.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/lvng-eng.html#txblgtns

A helpful CRA link regarding emigrating from Canada.

Peace.

Timeline

Thanks for all the replies. But I want and need to know if this has any affect on me immigrating to the US? Can Canada pull my passport, and stop me from leaving because I owe them money?

[url=
[url=[url=
event.png

USCIS

NVC

Timeline

Hey xprecious32, you should check out this forum and post your questions here: http://forums.serbinski.com/viewforum.php?f=2

They helped me a lot when I went through a similar situation with not reporting my marital status.

I actually called the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) and told them my situation and she said that I had to send them a letter with:

1) The date I was married

2) My husbands name

3) explain that he has no social insurance number because he is American

4) his world income for 2012: which is basically his income (you can guess it doesn't have to be exact) converted to Canadian dollars

Try calling them at 1-800-959-1953 or 1-800-387-1193 (number to update marital status), the lady I talked to was very nice and helpful.

Hope this helps and Good luck <3

Edited by CanGirl

Texas Service Centre

Consulate: Montreal, Canada

02/14/13: Got Married

USCIS

10/16/13: i-130 Sent

10/25/13: NOA1

03/05/14: NOA2

NVC

03/11/14: NVC Received Case

04/10/14: Case Number and IIN Assigned

04/15/14: 4:07 PM: Received email from NVC that AOS Fee was ready to be paid

04/15/14: 4:28 PM: Received email from NVC containing Case number and IIN

04/15/14: DS-261 Available and Completed

04/15/14: AOS Fee Available and Paid

04/18/14: AOS Fee Shows PAID

04/18/14: EP ENROLL Email Sent (Received AutoReply)

04/21/14: IV Fee Invoiced

04/22/14: 4:23 PM: Received email from NVC that IV Fee was ready to be paid

04/24/14: IV Fee Available and Paid

04/25/14: IV Fee Withdrawn From Bank Account

05/02/14: IV Fee still "In Process" called NVC for supervisor to fix it

05/07/14: IV Fee Shows PAID

05/07/14: DS-260 Available and Completed

05/21/14: 10:29 AM: EP ENROLL Acceptance Email Received

05/28/14: AOS Package Emailed to NVC (Received AutoReply)

xx/xx/14: IV Package Emailed to NVC

xx/xx/14: Case Complete

xx/xx/14: Interview Scheduled

xx/xx/14: Schedule Medical

xx/xx/14: NVC Shipped Case to Consulate

xx/xx/14: Medical Complete

xx/xx/14: Interview at Consulate

xx/xx/14: Visa in Hand

xx/xx/14: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.