penn-kd

CANADIAN WANTING DUAL CITIZENSHIP

5 posts in this topic

I am Canadian that moved to the USA and got married and I have my green card.I have been here for almost 6 years. I am looking for other Canadians that got there usa citizenship so that they could have dual citizenship. Just wondering if it is possible and what I would have do in canada after I get my citizenship. Do I have to notify them?

Kerri

Edited by penn-kd

AOS

Filed AOS............................October 17/08

NO1 for AOS,EAD, AP............October 31/08

Biometrics letter....................November 7/08

AOS sent to California.............................November 11/2008

Biometrics Appointment in York...............November 28/2008

AP Approved.............................................December 23/2008

EAD Card Received....................................January 3/2009

AP Received (I-512L)..................................January 5/2009

AOS Pending...............................................January 23/2009

AOS Approved, card on order will receive in 3 weeks..............March 10/2009

GREEN CARD RECIEVED MARCH 12/2009

ROC

VERMONT RECEIVED............................................DECEMBER 20/2010

NOA1 1 YEAR EXTENTION APPROVAL..............................DECEMBER 27/2010

RECIEVED BIOMETRICS APP.....................................JANUARY 7/2011

BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT......................................JANUARY 21/2011

APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................................MAY 9/2011

CARD WITHIN 60 DAYS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Kerri, it is possible! You really don't have to do much when it comes to informing Canada about your dual citizenship, it will not matter. A lot of us are Canadian and going for citizenship. You can follow the guides on this site for your N-400, it really is the easiest step of the entire process. Good luck!

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My wife doesn't want to have anything to do with Colombia, but she was born there. DOS with an agreement with Colombia had to renew her citizenship with Colombia so she could get a Colombian passport to visit her family there.

She took her oath very seriously with the USCIS, but not dealing with the USCIS anymore, now the DOS, so had to go through this expensive process or would never see her family again. She is required to show her Colombian passport to enter Colombia, but she cannot leave Colombia with it, no tourist visa. So has to show her US passport as well. We don't make the laws.

After the War of 1812, we had a very weak secretary of state, can't recall his name, but if he was stronger, Canada would be a part of the US. Thanks to an executive order by Bush, Canada really became a foreign country. Have friends that married Canadians, was no big deal until then, now they are having problems with the USCIS that they never had before. We the people, don't make the laws.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Laos
Timeline

My wife doesn't want to have anything to do with Colombia, but she was born there. DOS with an agreement with Colombia had to renew her citizenship with Colombia so she could get a Colombian passport to visit her family there.

She took her oath very seriously with the USCIS, but not dealing with the USCIS anymore, now the DOS, so had to go through this expensive process or would never see her family again. She is required to show her Colombian passport to enter Colombia, but she cannot leave Colombia with it, no tourist visa. So has to show her US passport as well. We don't make the laws.

After the War of 1812, we had a very weak secretary of state, can't recall his name, but if he was stronger, Canada would be a part of the US. Thanks to an executive order by Bush, Canada really became a foreign country. Have friends that married Canadians, was no big deal until then, now they are having problems with the USCIS that they never had before. We the people, don't make the laws.

We the people don't make the laws?? Interesting! You know that question your wife must have studied for her Civics test "Who makes laws in the United States?'?

The answer is Congress. You know who sends Representatives and Senators to Congress? We the people.

'We the people' is a trademark reference of the constitution of the United States of America to inform the land that laws are made for the people, by the people. One continues to be amused by your disdain for government especially since you never properly articulate the motives for your disdain.

Panem today, Panem tomorrow, Panem forever...

I have neither legal training nor immigration expertise; all comments posted must therefore be consumed in that vein.

My Naturalisation Timeline (Last updated: 16-April-14)

29-MAR-14: N-400 Petition Dispatched to USCIS [t-2]

30-MAR-14: Eligible to File N-400 Petition [t-1]

31-MAR-14: N-400 Petition Received by USCIS [t=0]

31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Dated [t=0]

31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Priority Date [t=0]

04-APR-14: Payment cheque cashed by USCIS [t+4]

07-APR-14: Online Status - Biometrics Appointment Notice Dispatched [t+7]

07-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Dated [t+7]

08-APR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Received [t+8]

14-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Received [t+14]

01-MAY-14: Biometrics Appointment [t+31]

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Interview Scheduling

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Interview Scheduled

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Dated

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Received

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Date

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduling

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduled

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Dated

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Received

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Date

00-XXX-14: US Passport Application Dispatched

00-XXX-14: US Passport Received

:dancing:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Dude - always so much angst!

As a Dual citizen of US/ Canada and knowing many others who are I can't say I know one single person who has any problems with USCIS after obtaining US citizenship.

To the OP - we have a few threads in the Canadian forum where people have discussed the pros and cons of being Dual. If you plan to spend the rest of your life here in the US or perhaps want to eventually return to Canada during retirement but maintain ties here...dual citizenship just smooths the path. I ahve enojyed the freedom US citizenship gave me - no more worrying about where GC or paying anymore fees to UCIS.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.