andreab

I-134 Affidavit of Support and Working Overseas

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

In the past month I've read 50 pages of this forum, and all that information has started to turn into a blur, so I apologize if this question has been asked and answered multiple times. Our interview is in a few days, so I'm just doing some last minute checking.

I am currently working overseas, in Georgia, to be with my fiance until we have been approved for the K-1 visa. Because I have worked here the past 2 years, I have not made income in the States. While it is more than enough for me here, I do not have the required income level. Instead, my parents will fill out the Affidavit of Support as their income is more than enough. Do I still need to fill it out as I am the petitioner, or does it only matter that someone submits it? Thank you so much for your help!

Hi andreab

Yes, you'll also need to file your own I-134. The USC petitioner remains the primary sponsor, regardless of whether or not they meet the requirements. For whichever boxes don't apply (i.e. if you have no US income, or assets) you can just put a zero.

Edited by GiuseppeG

2013 7/15 I-129F sent, 7/18 received Dallas lockbox, 7/22 NOA1, 10/22 NOA2, 11/15 NVC Case Created, 11/20 NVC Shipped, 11/25 Consulate received, 11/28 Packet 3 received/returned, 11/29 Medical, 12/9 Packet 4 received

2014 1/9 Interview - Approved, 1/15 CEAC - Issued, 1/17 Visa in hand, 2/5 POE: LAX, 4/4 Married!, 4/8 AOS/EAD/AP filed, 4/14 NOA1, 5/7 Walk-in biometrics, 5/19 EAD/AP approved (expedited), 5/22 EAD/AP mailed, 5/23 EAD/AP received, 7/29 Interview waiver letter

2015 4/13 AOS approved (no interview), 4/22 Green card received

2017 1/17 I-751 ROC filed (VSC), 1/23 NOA, 2/28 Biometrics

2018 1/31 ROC approved

2020 1/14 N400 filed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The only consulate I am aware of that just wants a sponsor without needing the USC petitioner to provide one anyway, is London. You need to also provide the I-134 and supporting documents, same as your co-sponsor. Be aware that you still need to file US taxes even when working overseas, so you should be able to provide the tax returns needed for the K-1 visa I-134 and the I-864 later for AOS time.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Are there any ideas how to make a co-sponsor more acceptable? I heard that in Viennam they don't accept co- sponsor . Is that right?

I129F sent : 20/12/2013

I129f received: 26/1/2013

NOA1 notification: 01/01/2014 heart.gifheart.gif

Alien registration number changed :03/01/2014

NOA2 notification: 04/02/2014

Case number: 14/02/2014heart.gifheart.gif

Embassy recieved: 19/02/2014

Fee paid: 26/02/2014

P3 recieved: 03/03/2014

P3 sent: 04/03/2014

Interview day : 07/05/2014goofy.gifgoofy.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

Thanks everyone for your replies! I filled out my I-134 and asked my parents to do the same. I included my bank statements with mine and then included their tax returns and W-2 statements. I put both forms in a plastic sleeve together so that they would be received at the same time when given to the consular officer at the interview. I don't know about the rest of the world, but apparently Georgia accepted the co-sponsor I-134 because his K-1 visa was approved!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Hey Andrea, Did you put your taxes and W2 also or just your parents? I am also working over sees so I just wanted to know a bit about how you filed it. Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.