tim131

Change of name on N-400

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hello all,

My wife is a permanent resident who has petitioned for me to live in the US with her. She will be sending her N-400 papers in the coming months. Could she change her last name to my last name, or do you reckon that would mess things up for the exsisting petition.

It would make life easier for us in the sense that she could get her US passport with her new last name on it, and be able to change the rest of her document easily, whereas if we do it later, it could be a bit more work.

Any advice, stories, guidance etc?

Many Thanks,

Tim

Hello all,

My wife is a permanent resident who has petitioned for me to live in the US with her. She will be sending her N-400 papers in the coming months. Could she change her last name to my last name, or do you reckon that would mess things up for the exsisting petition.

It would make life easier for us in the sense that she could get her US passport with her new last name on it, and be able to change the rest of her document easily, whereas if we do it later, it could be a bit more work.

Any advice, stories, guidance etc?

Many Thanks,

Tim

Change her last name now with the N-400. She filed a petition for you. Once the petition is approved it is all about you and you getting the visa. If there are any questions, she can use her new passport and her marriage certificate to show that she if one and the same person. I always say to live your life as you see fit and not let the USCIS dictate simple life decisions.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Timeline

Change her last name now with the N-400. She filed a petition for you. Once the petition is approved it is all about you and you getting the visa. If there are any questions, she can use her new passport and her marriage certificate to show that she if one and the same person. I always say to live your life as you see fit and not let the USCIS dictate simple life decisions.

Good luck,

Dave

Thanks a lot, so when she gets her citizenship approved and her US passport or Naturalisation cert, she will send these in to USCIS to upgrade the petition? should she send the marriage cert with a note saying she took my name? but they should be able to deduce from the naturalisation cert, she is the same person due to her alien number being on it?

I appreciate I may be looking into this too much :P

Thanks a lot, so when she gets her citizenship approved and her US passport or Naturalisation cert, she will send these in to USCIS to upgrade the petition? should she send the marriage cert with a note saying she took my name? but they should be able to deduce from the naturalisation cert, she is the same person due to her alien number being on it?

I appreciate I may be looking into this too much :P

No, let the petition runs its course with her maiden name. When you submit the visa application, that is when I would include her naturalization certificate, marriage certificate, and maybe her new US passport to show that the name being used on the visa application is from the same petitioner and that petition has been approved.

Dave

Timeline

No, let the petition runs its course with her maiden name. When you submit the visa application, that is when I would include her naturalization certificate, marriage certificate, and maybe her new US passport to show that the name being used on the visa application is from the same petitioner and that petition has been approved.

Dave

I see, but we would be sending it in so they can bump up her petition from F2a ti CR1, because she is a perm resident., its likely she will get her citizenship before our priority date becomes current. Hence wondering if it will cause confusion.

Thanks a million :)

I see, but we would be sending it in so they can bump up her petition from F2a ti CR1, because she is a perm resident., its likely she will get her citizenship before our priority date becomes current. Hence wondering if it will cause confusion.

Thanks a million :)

When you receive the NOA2 for the petition, that is when you contact the USCIS and/or NVC to update that she is a USC and you qualify for a visa now rather than having to wait for a priority date. Until the petition is approved there is nothing that can be done. Who knows, she may receive the NOA2 before she receives her citizenship. Once she gets her citizenship AND she receive the NOA2 that is when she need to contact the USCIS and let them know that she is a USC. There have been others that have changed from F2A to CR1 here on VJ. You might want to try the Advance Search feature to see what they did as I am going from memory.

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

when you file the n-400 application there is a space. says do you want to change your name put yes.after your approved then at the oath ceremony there will be a judge to change your name there,after your given your citizenship certificate it should have the new name.if not don't leave until it's done.because later if you want it changed theirs a fee to get any thing changed on your citizenship certificate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.