sparkles_

Does it matter where co-sponsor lives?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have a quick question. My prospective co-sponsor is moving to Hawaii this summer, they are in the military. I am currently living in NC and have no plans on moving anything soon.

I know poverty guideline amounts. I am lost about the location issue. Since I am the primary sponsor, we won't have to meet Hawaii levels just for having a co-sponsor in Hawaii will we??

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Yes, if you are using a joint sponsor, their income must meet the guidelines where they currently reside.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Yes, if you are using a joint sponsor, their income must meet the guidelines where they currently reside.

So their income must meet Hawaii levels for all of us, correct? Or just the joint sponsor themselves? Sorry if this is obvious but I'm just not computing.

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Their income must meet Hawaiian guidelines for their own household plus the immigrant. You as the US petitioner are not counted in their household.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Correct.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Their income must meet Hawaiian guidelines for their own household plus the immigrant. You as the US petitioner are not counted in their household.

OK, that is not an issue. I have been having so much trouble understanding the I134 and I864's concept of household when it concerns a co or joint sponsor. Can you tell me then, the co sponsor basically just needs to show income levels for 2? The co sponsor person is single, plus the immigrant.

I assumed we would have to show Hawaiian levels for a household consisting of 5 of us; me, immigrant, 2 USC kids, and co-sponsor living in Hawaii.

I am so lost now. So I omit myself from all of this? How many people are we really needing to meet the level for?? Is the co sponsor only standing in to meet the level for the immigrant not the USC family? I recall seeing on here something like that. What is the difference between joint and co sponsorship exactly?

(I am so sorry for being this ignorant, I just want my facts straight in my brain)

Edited by beccabecca

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Timeline

OK, that is not an issue. I have been having so much trouble understanding the I134 and I864's concept of household when it concerns a co or joint sponsor. Can you tell me then, the co sponsor basically just needs to show income levels for 2? The co sponsor person is single, plus the immigrant.

I assumed we would have to show Hawaiian levels for all 5 of us; me, immigrant, 2 USC kids, and co-sponsor.

I am so lost now. So I omit myself from all of this? How many people are we really needing to meet the level for?? Is the co sponsor only standing in to meet the level for the immigrant not the USC family? I recall seeing on here something like that.

(I am so sorry for being this ignorant, I just want my facts straight in my brain)

Even though your profile says you filed for "other", since you are posting in an immigrant visa forum, I'm presuming it's an immigrant visa for a spouse, that you seek. If so, forget the I-134. It doesn't apply. Start by actually studying the I-864 instructions and the affidavit itself.

Intending immigrants are "sponsored". If there's just one immigrant, you, the petitioner, count the immigrant, yourself any of your children under 21 who are unmarried and anybody you have sponsored in your past, in YOUR household size, on YOUR I-864. Your qualified "joint sponsor" counts their own family size, then adds your spouse/intending immigrant. So, if the joint sponsor is single with no children and has never sponsored an immigrant before, their household is two.

US Citizens don't immigrate to the USA, so are not "sponsored".

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

Even though your profile says you filed for "other", since you are posting in an immigrant visa forum, I'm presuming it's an immigrant visa for a spouse, that you seek. If so, forget the I-134. It doesn't apply. Start by actually studying the I-864 instructions and the affidavit itself.

Intending immigrants are "sponsored". If there's just one immigrant, you, the petitioner, count the immigrant, yourself any of your children under 21 who are unmarried and anybody you have sponsored in your past, in YOUR household size, on YOUR I-864. Your qualified "joint sponsor" counts their own family size, then adds your spouse/intending immigrant. So, if the joint sponsor is single with no children and has never sponsored an immigrant before, their household is two.

US Citizens don't immigrate to the USA, so are not "sponsored".

So the immigrant will be counted twice? Once in each household.

I am basically asking this. I will not make enough til after graduation to touch my family size poverty level. Should I be looking for my joint sponsor to make enough for 2, or enough for 5 (all of us)? I am aware I am sounding highly stupid at the moment but trust me I have looked at those instructions and this one thing I can't get my head around. I don't want some horrible surprise by my joint sponsor maybe not making enough for a household size of 5.

I get USCs don't need sponsorship but I believe we must show that we at least meet poverty guidelines for ourselves or have the joint sponsor cover us as well, correct?

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Timeline

Yes, the immigrant is counted in both households. There will two affidavits, one from you counting your household and one from the joint sponsor counting their household of 1, plus the intending immigrant. The joint sponsor is not agreeing to support or sponsor your family, only your spouse.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

Yes, the immigrant is counted in both households. There will two affidavits, one from you counting your household and one from the joint sponsor counting their household of 1, plus the intending immigrant. The joint sponsor is not agreeing to support or sponsor your family, only your spouse.

100x thank-you, I suppose I need stuff in plain terms like this. Much nicer to hear my joint sponsor will only have to meet levels for 2 versus 5....*sigh of relief*

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.