Aaron and Marina

Active duty deployed service member, wife just turned away from I-485 interview

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I did a complete, very through quality AOS package, inclusive of the I-756 and I-131 and sent in 11 Jan of this year. Knowing I would be deployed, I included a bold message on the outside of the package stating I would deployed, along with a clear, signed official letter from my unit commander next stating the same along with dates (in the Air Force, you don't get official paper orders until about a week before departing). There is no way to miss this information. Since then, my wife received her EAD/Travel card as well as the NOA to attend an interview today at the St Albans VT ASC. Of course, I mailed her an original, signed copy of my orders, she has a current Air Force dependent ID, etc. Everything was done 100%...I even wrote a letter to the officer, from me....signed it and mailed to my wife along with several other required items.

Interview time: The guy asked her where I was and she said I am deployed (do they not even review the package before the interview???). He says oh and goes in back to talk to someone. He comes back and asks for a copy of my orders...she gives them to him...he goes back to his office, talks to someone again...returns and says the interview is a family thing, reschedules it for when I'll return, and turns her away. That's it. Keep in mind, there is NOTHING that even gives the hint our marriage could not be legit. Moreover, we bought a $165,000 house that we own outright with both names on the deed, not to mention I put her as beneficiary on my SGLI (life insurance) where she gets $235,000. And so on and so forth. From what I gather, he just deviated from USCIS SOP and turned her away.

This cost me about $500 to the dollar for this, in addition to the $985 it costs for the package itself. To do an interview when I get back will cost me about $200, 8 hours of driving and a day of leave. I did the research, and everyone I talked to and everything I read to include the USCIS official website, the USCIS mainline and military helpline all said the same thing: I did not have to be there. There is no maybe, sometimes, possibly, up to the discretion of, etc etc. 100% I do not have to attend the interview. Had that been the case, I would have called to resched the interview after my wife got the NOA for an interview today, and saved myself $300! That would have been a few minutes of my time, and very simple. Now it will cost me $500 I just lit on fire, time wasted. and other $200 to do an actual interview when I do return in the fall.

Thoughts? What recourse do I have? Has anyone experienced this? I'd like to know experiences and/or good info and/or thoughts you all may have

Thanks...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 Process to Family-based AOS Case Filing and Progress Reports Forum~

~inquiry about AOS interview, past K-1~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

you could engage with the constituent Liason at your Congressman's office,

the human that handles the Immigration Liason Staffer (ILS) duties,

and

have them engage that local office, citing misdeeds.

Takes a bit of time, but if you start now, might be done in a month.

IMO, the person handling the interview not review the A-File, prior, and it was in the building.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

you could engage with the constituent Liason at your Congressman's office,

the human that handles the Immigration Liason Staffer (ILS) duties,

and

have them engage that local office, citing misdeeds.

Takes a bit of time, but if you start now, might be done in a month.

IMO, the person handling the interview not review the A-File, prior, and it was in the building.

I actually have the Senators info...along the same lines as what you wrote. Not sure though what you meant by "...and it was in the building"?

Timeline

The A-File !

That contains everything you've ever submitted,

from

the I-129F

all the way up to

the I-485.

Since the stuff you included with the I-485 [mentioning you are deployed] was not acted on, it's my best opinion that the interviewer not actually read the A-File.

A-Files are shipped to the local office when an interview is scheduled. The sub-human that interviewed your wife not read the A-File, not read the stuff you put in there about deployment.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

The A-File !

That contains everything you've ever submitted,

from

the I-129F

all the way up to

the I-485.

Since the stuff you included with the I-485 [mentioning you are deployed] was not acted on, it's my best opinion that the interviewer not actually read the A-File.

A-Files are shipped to the local office when an interview is scheduled. The sub-human that interviewed your wife not read the A-File, not read the stuff you put in there about deployment.

So what you're saying is, he obviously didn't review the case and thus, didn't know even know I was deployed right up until he asked my wife where I was?!. And this threw off his whole interview. However, since he screwed up, instead of just pressing, he turned my wife away, cost us all kinds of time, money and energy. Correct?

Timeline

correct.

look - we all put a lot of faith into other humans, to actually do their jobs. That doesn't happen at the local offices, mostly, because of the lacksidaisical attitudes shown by the majority of the workers.

This fella screwed up, big time, and had a supervisor to cover his @ss, suggesting a reschedule.

NO ONE READ THE @#$@ing A-File.

Timeline

Yay ! Mischief Managed !!!

Carry On, AirMan !!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You still have the DMV to go...

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

You still have the DMV to go...

What's w/trying to cast a black cloud on this with some random thing...the DMV?

My wife getting her driver's license is not an emergency nor will it or does it need to happen right away...and by I'll be back in the states and with her by then.

Trust me...after what we've just been thru w/the SSA, me deploying which is hard enough in and of itself especially under these circumstances, random flight cancellations (day before the interview) and then her being turned away from the interview itself because the workers didn't have time to review the file prior, so they used my deployment and not being there as an excuse to resched.....trust me, the DMV will be easy. I know how all this ####### works and every step of the K-1 by now, so I don't become surprised or go whacko when problems come up.

The DMV...LOL. Thanks for the heads up bro

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Happy that it all worked out for you!!

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Thank you very much! :dancing:

It turned out, like Darnell was speculating, the officer didn't review the case prior. When I wasn't there, it threw off their whole operation, and in order to cover their a$$ last minute, they resched'd and tossed her out. That's exactly what happened. It's cool though, because afterall, she's just a dumb foreignerin a great American government agency and won't fight it....she has no idea if it's correct or not, so she'll just buy it. I'm sure they counted on that.

What those F's didn't count on though, is I'm deployed, and TSgt in the US Air Force and in constant contact w/my wife, as I was at that instant. I researched and ran all this down since the beginning, and I won't have my money or my wife's and cousin's time wasted, because officers don't want to review the file. We paid $985 for this. We paid for a service as does everyone else, and not only do I expect to and will receive that service that I paid for, but I sure as he11 won't tolerate having even more money and/or time wasted because of bad processes/workers.

So she went back, gave them the deployment poclicy straight from the military section of the USCIS website, and drilled them to provide a good, reasonable honest answer why they couldn't and/or wouldn't do it. She pressed them hard apparently. I guess they decided, knowing it was their mistake, this was getting real and before this got taken to a place they didn't want it to go, they decided to come clean and make it happen. During the interview, which lasted all of 1 minute before the approval, the guy was apologizing profusely. That just says it all right there.

So I mean, it all worked out, but it should never have come to that. :angry:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.