RojoGringo

Anyone Happy they Moved to the USA?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi All,

I am new here and have been reading some post and I read http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/484680-how-well-did-you-adjust/ is has depressed me because I see that many have not adjusted well and are very sad living in the USA. It frightens me because my fiance is from Colombia and would be moving to the Metro Detroit area, and it is the opposite of everything she is accustomed to. I do not want to see her sad it would devastate me, I was wondering if there is anyone who found positives by coming here to America?

Being happy here is all about what you make of it. When my fiancee gets here, she will be going to gym with me, where she will meet people. She also will be getting involved in the local German community. That will help her assimilate. It's important to build a social network & you just can't do that if you always stay home. It is important to get outdoors & live life.

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi, I came from Mexico almost two years ago with a k1 visa, I can tell you Im happily married, we have our first daughter, and I cant imagine nothing better!!! My husband loves me as much, its difficult to know deeply another person, if you add the stress of a different country it's worse, but i can assure you that it worth everything for one minute by his side!!! We live in Texas, in a samall town, I came from a big, big city and the change was so sudden, but im sure if you love each other and are willing to see the things positive you will do it smoothly... Our K1 process took 9 moths (I saw your other post) not three years... don't doubt, just start... is a terrible wait but its so amazing the opportunity of be together... you can always come back to Colombia, is not that everything is over once you settle here... we have that open door... who knows what life have for us :D

I love you Charles forever!!

! dveMm6.png

N-400 Waiting to be schedule for Oath Ceremony 

Hi All,

I am new here and have been reading some post and I read http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/484680-how-well-did-you-adjust/ is has depressed me because I see that many have not adjusted well and are very sad living in the USA. It frightens me because my fiance is from Colombia and would be moving to the Metro Detroit area, and it is the opposite of everything she is accustomed to. I do not want to see her sad it would devastate me, I was wondering if there is anyone who found positives by coming here to America?

I have been in the US for more than 2 months now. I am happy and easy to get adjusted - of course being with my fiance is the best feeling ever-. I come from Indonesia that totally different from the US in any way. Food, lifestyle, environment, people, and etc. The hardest part is I used to work with hectic and long hours schedule and suddenly just staying in apartment alone with my 2 cats waiting my fiance back from work.

The reason why I am easy to adjust because I moved to different places for my job assignment for the last 10 years. That's the good thing. Also, I lived in big city (Jakarta) where traffic jam is always at worst. Live in Key West really give me some peace of mind. No traffic jam, loud noise, and any other things are part of a big city. That's positive side.

Even though I am not working yet, but I still write some articles voluntary for the company where I worked before and to make me busy and occupied. My fiance and I went out shopping, take a walk with my cats, or just reading on internet, watching some stuff on YouTube, CBS, Hulu, talking to my friends on Facebook, or video calls my friends. There are a lot stuff she can do here. Make a list. My fiance kept asking me what do I want, he searched Asian stores, looking something to make me feel good and belong here. He also introduced me to his co-workers, bring me to his work, parties, and talk to his mom and the entire family. That makes me feel like at home. His mother and aunty kept sending me some stuff for cats, snack for us, cards, and etc. Those things are very warmth welcome to me.

Make sure your fiancee feels she deserve living in the US. We are beneficiaries left all behind for our loved ones and we need encourage and very strong support to get through all of these situation. Colombia is not so much different from the US - my guess-. Sometimes these things only worst in mind rather than in reality.

Edited by Girl from Celebes

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

You should definitely help her meet some people in your area that are also from Columbia. It helps a lot! It's not easy to move and quit family and friends, but making and having new friends, that especially come from the same home country is a great thing. I, and by consequent we (my husband and I), met some other french-american couples in our city and it's always great hanging out with all of them.

Coming back to France is always a big "bowl of fresh air" (don't know if that's also an english expression?) and I miss it for sure. There are some good aspects living there, like there are some bad ones. But it's the same here in the US. In the end, it's about realizing all that and finding a balance.

It's not easy to adjust for sure, so make sure you understand her and help her feeling better. She should also be aware of what's coming... so she knows what to expect.

If you want a positive review, I like living here and don't regret taking the big decision of moving to the US. It's easy to complain (especially since I'm french :P) about everything that is different here and not "as good" as in France but there's also lots of new things to experience here (talking about food especially :D). Plus there's still a possibility that one day we'll move back to my home country for a few years...

Edited by didopage

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

I'm here for almost a year now. And i have my ups and downs. I miss things from my home country and not everything went like planned. But i'm very happy that i did make this move. i noticed it takes time and support from your new family. I'm lucky that my wife understands my feeling and that I have my moments. I slowly picking up my life again. Started working get some friends etc etc.

I'm confided that I'll make it here and that this will be my new home.

I did like this story, read it when you have time

http://thoughtcatalog.com/chelsea-fagan/2012/05/what-happens-when-you-live-abroad/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi RojoGringo, Be patient and understanding. Love always finds a way.

The kindness we give to others may never be recognized by the ugly souls we encounter in the vast jungle of humanity, but what we give will echo brilliantly in the smiles of those who have received it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hi! Since I'm from a country close to your fiancee's, I figured I'd share my experience with you. I moved to the US in November last year from a small city to a big, different one. I used to work long hours and live in a big house with my family and pets... so coming here to a small, empty apartment, in an area that was not exactly safe to go to the store without pepper spray and on top of it I was a minority was hard for me. My husband worked night shift, falling asleep by myself was very hard... needless to say, I cried a lot for a couple of months and got very depressed, my hair was falling, I put on some weight, I felt like I was happy to be with him, but I wasn't whole because my family wasn't here. He understood this was a huge change for me and we talked about it many times, he made his best to support my hobbies so I wouldn't get bored and started thinking, making myself miserable. We were blessed with a shift change for him and now we get to sleep together at night and most of the time he has the weekends off so we can go out and do things together, also things are looking up and we're moving to a better area. Bottom line, she'll be sad for a while, I think it's natural... she might even tell you she wants to go back home, I know I did, specially because at "that time of the month" we girls get extra emotional. But technology is available and there are so many apps now to call home, text, etc, that will make her know her family is still there and they're doing ok. The most important thing is to love and understand each other. About positives I've found coming here, DUH! I'm married to the man I love and that's the most positive thing I can think of. Also all the new places I've got to go with my husband... The weather is mostly nice, that helps too B-)

09/25/2012: Sent I-129F
10/02/2012: NOA1
12/11/2012: Touched - alien registration number changed
04/01/2013: Touched - not sure what happened here, only the date changed
04/05/2013: Touched - petitioner's address was changed

05/26/2013: RFE - letter of intent was not signed by beneficiary

05/14/2013: I-129F Approved

06/03/2013: Case forwarded to Consulate

08/27/2013: Interview - Approved!

09/05/2013: Visa in hands

11/01/2013: Moved to the US (POE Miami)

12/03/2013: We got married!! heart.gif

01/06/2014: AOS package sent to Chicago Lockbox

01/17/2014: NOA1

02/13/2014: Biometrics appointment

03/13/2014: EAD and AP approved

04/22/2014: Case touched, change of address

04/30/2014: Notice of potential interview waiver case received

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ZTZum5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Mrs. T-B. and Mini-Bone (3 years old) are currently in Ecuador, for 3.5 weeks total. After about 9 days, Mrs. T-B. told me that she wanted to come home, that Ecu wasn't for her any longer and that the U.S. is her country. She's counting the days (we can't change the tickets). It's interesting how perspectives change.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Hubby moved over from the UK in 2008 the first time and was miserable. We stayed here for 3 years and then his dad was ill so we went back to the UK. He missed the US so much he couldn't wait to come back again!! It takes time, love, and patience.

10/26/03 Met in Yahoo chat room
06-2004 Glyn flies to Boston for 2 week holiday with me in White Mountains
06/07/2006- HE PROPOSES!!
12/13/2006- Glyn and Simon the best man fly in for wedding.
December 16,2006- Happiest day of my life
12/25/2006- Best and worst Christmas ever. Glyn flies back to England at 6 pm Christmas Night.
02/19/2007- UK spousal visa approved in NY after only 4 days.
March 2,2007- Reunited in England with Glyn.
01/21/2008-mailed I-130 to USCIS in London
01/24/2008-NOA1
04/13/2008-Panic. RFE received
April 17, 2008-Mailed off again.
April 22, 2008-NOA2 received dated April 21, 2008.
April 26, 2008-Packet 3 received
April 28, 2008-Mailed off DS-230
May06,2008-Packet 3 sent
May 08, 2008-Medical scheduled
May 22,2008-Packet 4 received
June 03,2008-Interview APPROVED!!!!!

June 04, 2008-Visa in hand
June 20, 2008-Shippers come for our things.
June 25, 2008-Flying to the USA
November 15, 2010-Sent off VERY late I-751 along with many prayers.
04/09/2011-10 year GC arrives in mail.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued

04/16/2013-I-130 sent off-----04/19/2013 NOA1

05/15/2013-NOA2

Never received packet 3 although it was mailed to us on May 29th

07/17/2013-Sent off packet 3 after finally getting ALL our documents together

08/19/2013-Medical scheduled (there were earlier appointments but unfortunately, we couldn't get there for them due to hubby's work)

09/24/2013-Interview APPROVED

11/01/2013-POE BOSTON

01/13/2014-10 Year green card received

03/09/2019- Sent I-130 to Chicago lock box for step-son

03/20/2019- NOA 1

08/10/2019-NOA 2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Your beloved one will definitely feel sad for some time. I'm sure she'll get accustomed. It takes some time. Don't be surprised if homesickness strikes three months after she moves to the US. Sometimes it happens like this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

In exactly a month, my husband will celebrate his first year in the US. I can say that he is very happy; has adjusted quickly; and learning more and more about life in the US. I think the best advice I can give is to make sure that she is very involved in not only your everyday life, but in the community. My husband goes to school, works, attends church, goes to the gym, runs races, attends community events, etc. and has already made a tight group of friends (my friends and his new friends.) Before she comes, plan for her. Make sure that she doesn't just sit at home--that will make her depressed and unhappy. Get her involved and her adjustment should go smoothly. Make sure that she is not only acquainted with English speakers but also with people that speak her native language. Of course, there are times that she will be homesick... but homesickness is not always due to unhappiness. Good luck!! :)

PS--meetup.com has helped us a lot too!

Edited by mtcmk1

To see a more detailed journey schedule, please see the About Me page and my Timeline.

Our K1 Process

June 7, 2012 -- Sent I-129F to June 9, 2013 -- Religious & Civil Wedding Ceremony in CT

FROM I-129f NOA1 to VISA APPROVAL: Exactly 8 months! No RFEs

Our AOS Process

July 16, 2013 -- Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP Paperwork to December 21, 2013 -- Received GC Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 4 months 27 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our ROC Process

September 21, 2015 -- Mailed ROC Paperwork to August 6, 2016 -- Received Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 10 months 10 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our {His} N-400 Process

Eligible to Apply for Citizenship on September 14, 2016.

October 4, 2016 -- Mailed N-400 Paperwork.

November 8, 2016 -- Completed Biometrics.

May 6, 2017 -- Received Interview Letter in the Mail.

June 8, 2017 -- Interview Passed!

June 16, 2017 -- Oath Ceremony! He is a USC!!

FROM Application to CITIZENSHIP: Exactly 8 months 13 days! No RFEs.

== I am the Petitioner/Sponsor/Citizen Spouse ==

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I never wanted to move to the US but since my then fiance has a better job, it was a no brainer. I was worried about not being able to adjust as I knew I will be idle for 3-5 months until I get my work permit. I am a workaholic so this is not easy.

But I came here with an optimistic perspective that everything will be okay despite my apprehensions. I discovered my passion for cooking and seeing the satisfied look on my husband's face (the one that has "a very happy belly smile" written all over, lol) is priceless. He also introduced me to his friends who are all wonderful. He knew I love rice so he took me to this big asian store to buy a rice cooker and to show off the Filipino aisle in that store. Hahaha. I love going to the spa and have massages but it is expensive to do that here. So he gives me a foot massage every night. Yes, I am spoiled. (L)

He knew he will be busy with his work so he made sure that we have internet connection and a back up as he knows I am an internet freak. Also got us a subscription to Netflix so I can watch the movies I missed as I was too busy working back when I was still in the Philippines.

I almost lost it as I arrived during winter time and unfortunately, the worst winter here since 1907. Coming from the tropics, this drove me crazy but my ever patient husband made sure I was okay. He would occasionally take me to the mall. He would pick me up during his lunch break, take me to the mall sometimes just to have coffee and enjoy a good book and people watching. Then would just pick me up when he is done working.

And now that spring is "almost" here in our neck of the woods, he encourages and reminds me to go out and walk around the neighbourhood and enjoy the sun. And I am!

I guess what I am trying to say is, the success or failure during our period of adjustment depends on us-- on my husband to be supportive, patient, loving and encouraging and on me to be receptive to change and accept the new environment. So yea, I can say I am happily adjusting. I have my down times too but I choose not to wallow. Whenever I feel bored, I get my pen and paper to make a to do list, whether planning a gourmet dinner or making a grocery list (and trying to master couponing!)

Hope your fiancee will adjust well. All the best!

Just a couple of things to add:

1. Almost everybody, no matter where they are from, experiences sadness at being so far away from their home, family, and friends. Don't think this sadness means she is questioning your relationship. It is really unrelated. It is something you can't fix and just have to help her deal with.

2. When you're at work, she will probably be stuck at home. When you get home from work, don't always just sit and relax. Think about taking her out, even if it is just to drive around and see the city. Just let her get out of the house.

Transition and adjustment periods are always hard, but it does get easier once you establish a routine and make a new life for yourself. I would say I was homesick the first month or two, but once I started school, and got settled into life with my husband it got much easier. He deployed for a year and I was alone and I managed simply because I had made friends and already gotten the hang of living life here. Give it time, and make sure you are supporting your spouse :)

Edited by Messybrownhair
My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.