zoom_

medical exam and mental illness ?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline

so about more then a year ago i sufferd from a eating disorder i been good for 1 year going to be 2 years anyway, i had the eating disorder for about 1 year and i never got any treatment for it. my question is on the medical exam i want to be honest.eating disorder count as mental illness right?

so i should but yes on that question. i'm worried this will get my visa denied.i read here on VJ that u need a letter/note from a psychologist saying In my case that i'm not threat to myself. i wonder i never got any treatment so how do i get this note?can i get this note? anyone that has been through the same not gotten any treatment for some mental illness and being able to get a note anyway ? so worried this will get my k1 denied :crying:

Edited by zoom_

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Croatia
Timeline

You've never been officially diagnosed, right? Iono, don't think I'd volunteer self-diagnosed things. If you're set on answering yes, I recommend getting an evaluation done at a psychologist or a psychiatrist. You might even be able to get it for free, if you talk to your family doctor first. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

so about more then a year ago i sufferd from a eating disorder i been good for 1 year going to be 2 years anyway, i had the eating disorder for about 1 year and i never got any treatment for it. my question is on the medical exam i want to be honest.eating disorder count as mental illness right?

so i should but yes on that question. i'm worried this will get my visa denied.i read here on VJ that u need a letter/note from a psychologist saying In my case that i'm not threat to myself. i wonder i never got any treatment so how do i get this note?can i get this note? anyone that has been through the same not gotten any treatment for some mental illness and being able to get a note anyway ? so worried this will get my k1 denied :crying:

Were you diagnosed, but never got treatment, or never diagnosed and never sought a diagnosis/treatment? It's only worth mentioning if you got an official diagnosis from a psychiatrist.

K-1

I-129F NOA1 => NOA2: 161 days

NOA2 => Interview: 64 days

AP: 33 days

Total: 258 days

AOS

I-485 NOA => GC: 333 days

No Interview

ROC

07/30/2017: Package Sent

08/01/2017: NOA

09/07/2017: Biometrics

12/04/2018: Approved! 490 days

Timeline

You've never been officially diagnosed, right? Iono, don't think I'd volunteer self-diagnosed things. If you're set on answering yes, I recommend getting an evaluation done at a psychologist or a psychiatrist. You might even be able to get it for free, if you talk to your family doctor first. Good luck!

i was never diagnosed by anyone i know i had an eating disorder tho but i never looked for help i got through it with help from friends and family. we dont have a family doctor. is it any other way to get the note ?

Timeline

Were you diagnosed, but never got treatment, or never diagnosed and never sought a diagnosis/treatment? It's only worth mentioning if you got an official diagnosis from a psychiatrist.

i was never diagnosed or got any treatment. The only sign i have left from my eating disorder are my teeth my dentist actually though i just drank too much soda and i dont think it affected any other part of my body,But if it has and i don't mention it would they not see it in the physical exam? thats why i want to have the note from a psychiatrist

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

i was never diagnosed or got any treatment. The only sign i have left from my eating disorder are my teeth my dentist actually though i just drank too much soda and i dont think it affected any other part of my body,But if it has and i don't mention it would they not see it in the physical exam? thats why i want to have the note from a psychiatrist

I don't know if the medical exams are conducted super thoroughly in Sweden, but it takes a REALLY good doctor to catch any evidence from an ED, and they'd really have to look. You can't just look at a person during a routine physical and come to the conclusion that the person has an ED. You could go to a psychiatrist and get their opinion if it makes you feel better. Do you know what tests they do for the Swedish medical?

Edit: You should definitely seek the advice of a psychiatrist if you feel that you are currently suffering from an ED.

Edited by jfgk1987

K-1

I-129F NOA1 => NOA2: 161 days

NOA2 => Interview: 64 days

AP: 33 days

Total: 258 days

AOS

I-485 NOA => GC: 333 days

No Interview

ROC

07/30/2017: Package Sent

08/01/2017: NOA

09/07/2017: Biometrics

12/04/2018: Approved! 490 days

I would not volunteer that information up at your medical, especially as you were never diagnosed.

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

Timeline

i was never diagnosed by anyone i know i had an eating disorder tho but i never looked for help i got through it with help from friends and family. we dont have a family doctor. is it any other way to get the note ?

You could contact a psychiatrist privately, but seriously, I just wouldn't mention it. You were never diagnosed. No diagnosis, no history of illness. Why complicate things for yourself?

Timeline

I don't know if the medical exams are conducted super thoroughly in Sweden, but it takes a REALLY good doctor to catch any evidence from an ED, and they'd really have to look. You can't just look at a person during a routine physical and come to the conclusion that the person has an ED. You could go to a psychiatrist and get their opinion if it makes you feel better. Do you know what tests they do for the Swedish medical?

Edit: You should definitely seek the advice of a psychiatrist if you feel that you are currently suffering from an ED.

i been good for almost 2 years now so im not suffering from it. hmm maybe a psychiatrist but just for the note then because im good now so i dont know really how that would help but thanx

and no i don't know what tests the medical does in sweden

Edited by zoom_

Timeline

You could contact a psychiatrist privately, but seriously, I just wouldn't mention it. You were never diagnosed. No diagnosis, no history of illness. Why complicate things for yourself?

the thing is that cbp knows when u travel with an esta from a vwp country u answer a few questions i answered yes in one cause at the time i was suffering from it cbp askt me and knows. dont that come up at the k1 interview about cbp and about being sent to secondary screening? or am i too paranoid now ?

and yes i was allowd entry.

Edited by zoom_

Timeline

Ah, I see. Well either way, an eating disorder won't be an issue. You could try your luck and just go to the medical, or you could request an evaluation from a psychiatrist. You could also try calling the doctor to ask what they'll want to see for the medical.

Timeline

Ah, I see. Well either way, an eating disorder won't be an issue. You could try your luck and just go to the medical, or you could request an evaluation from a psychiatrist. You could also try calling the doctor to ask what they'll want to see for the medical.

hmm don't you think they can denie me at poe if i don't mention the ed at the medical ? or does cbp not ask about or pull out the record on previous visits? last time i was there they question me but not about the ed so i don't know if i should just not mention it at the medical since i was never diagnosed. i worry to much

someone that knows what cbp look at when u arrive with a k1? to they go through ur medical answers and so? do they watch the tape of your secondary screening since its recorded i mean i don't know hehe maybe my fantasi is to wild lol i just want to be over prepared and have no surprises

Edited by zoom_

Timeline

hmm don't you think they can denie me at poe if i don't mention the ed at the medical ? or does cbp not ask about or pull out the record on previous visits? last time i was there they question me but not about the ed so i don't know if i should just not mention it at the medical since i was never diagnosed. i worry to much

someone that knows what cbp look at when u arrive with a k1? to they go through ur medical answers and so? do they watch the tape of your secondary screening since its recorded i mean i don't know hehe maybe my fantasi is to wild lol i just want to be over prepared and have no surprises

I'm neither a lawyer nor a cbp officer so I don't know. From what others have said they don't look at your medical results at the border, just ask you a few questions about your petitioner and put you in the system.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

You self diagnosed and never saw a dr for it, why mention it? What would you tell a doctor now? "I believe I an ED but I am better now, can you write a letter saying I am ok".. If you self diagnosed, self treated and are good now, I would keep,that to myself IMO.

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.