Lejim

N-400 confusing question.

7 posts in this topic

Hi

I have a question. On the form N-400 Part 6, it asks for information for Criminal records. On item 3.- Ethnicity: Hispanic or latino - Not Hispanic or Latino... I obviously selected Hispanic or Latino, but then on item 4.- Race: the options are: White- Asian- Black or African American - American indian- Native Hawaiian

I'm obviously non of those and I dont consider myself white since light skin, but Im not black either.. Im latinooo lol what should I put? I'm so confused I had never been asked this before.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I believe Hispanic/Latino for this question refers to the area you're from: Latin America. The race then depends on your ancestry. It could be a mix of white and Native American, and/or any other.

You can choose all that apply to the best of your knowledge. I wouldn't worry too much about it...

AOS 05/08/10 - sent05/14/10 - receipt date on NOAs - transferred to National Benefits Center06/14/10 - Biometrics Done - Lawrence, MA (original appt)07/26/10 - Interview - APPROVED!!07/30/10 - Welcome letter rec'd (notice date: 07/26)08/05/10 - Green Card (&EAD) Received! - 2 months and 28 days total!ROC 04/28/12 - ROC package sent05/03/12 - check cashed05/04/12 - NOA1 received - dated 05/01/1206/07/12 - Biometrics done02/07/13 - Approved (status update via text msg)02/14/13 - Ten year Green card receivedNaturalization07/26/13 - eligible (90 day window opened 4/27/13)02/24/14 - N-400 sent to Dallas03/04/14 - Check cashed & case accepted (update via txt & email)03/10/14 - Biometrics appt letter rec'd (scheduled for 03/28/13)03/28/14 - Biometrics done04/01/14 - In line for interview 04/03/14 - Case status change to scheduled for interview04/10/14 - interview letter rec'd 5/13/14 - interview 6/3/14 - in line for oath 6/30/14 - Scheduled for oath

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Laos
Timeline

Hi

I have a question. On the form N-400 Part 6, it asks for information for Criminal records. On item 3.- Ethnicity: Hispanic or latino - Not Hispanic or Latino... I obviously selected Hispanic or Latino, but then on item 4.- Race: the options are: White- Asian- Black or African American - American indian- Native Hawaiian

I'm obviously non of those and I dont consider myself white since light skin, but Im not black either.. Im latinooo lol what should I put? I'm so confused I had never been asked this before.

It's not confusing at all. Latino is not a race...not at all. It's amusing how many people think it actually is.

If I had to guess, I would say you're Mestizo (which is a racial identity) and Latino (which appears to be your ethnicity). However, the USCIS does not list Mestizo as an option, so your best bet would be to choose either the designation you feel most comfortable with or "Other," tick the Latino option under Ethnicity and move on.

I repeat: Lation is NOT a race. Anyone of any race can be Latino.

Panem today, Panem tomorrow, Panem forever...

I have neither legal training nor immigration expertise; all comments posted must therefore be consumed in that vein.

My Naturalisation Timeline (Last updated: 16-April-14)

29-MAR-14: N-400 Petition Dispatched to USCIS [t-2]

30-MAR-14: Eligible to File N-400 Petition [t-1]

31-MAR-14: N-400 Petition Received by USCIS [t=0]

31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Dated [t=0]

31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Priority Date [t=0]

04-APR-14: Payment cheque cashed by USCIS [t+4]

07-APR-14: Online Status - Biometrics Appointment Notice Dispatched [t+7]

07-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Dated [t+7]

08-APR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Received [t+8]

14-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Received [t+14]

01-MAY-14: Biometrics Appointment [t+31]

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Interview Scheduling

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Interview Scheduled

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Dated

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Received

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Date

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduling

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduled

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Dated

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Received

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Date

00-XXX-14: US Passport Application Dispatched

00-XXX-14: US Passport Received

:dancing:

Okay, thank you guys. So is it ok if I just put white?; I thought Native American would be closer to what i am cuz it says someone born in South America or Central America but then it mentions something about being still affiliated to a community or something and I'm not sure what that means. I read that on the instructions

I think its really whatever defines you best.

For example, I was born in the Philippines, but my dad is Swedish and my mom is Spanish. I don't normally put Asian because I don't look Asian even if I grew up there.. I put hispanic/latino and white. I don't know if thats right but its what best defines me.

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Laos
Timeline

Okay, thank you guys. So is it ok if I just put white?; I thought Native American would be closer to what i am cuz it says someone born in South America or Central America but then it mentions something about being still affiliated to a community or something and I'm not sure what that means. I read that on the instructions

Out of curiosity, why would you ask faceless strangers you have never met and who have never seen you, what your racial identity is? I'm sorry, but I just find that rather...interesting.

Here is an unsolicited lesson on racial identity in Latin America:

There are six major race classes in Latin America to which the vast majority of the population falls under.

Of these, three of them are the pure races as follows:

1) Negro/African/Black: this group consists of the those with direct ancestry to the original peoples of the Negro tribes of Africa

2) Anglo-Saxon/Caucasian/White: this group consists of the those with direct ancestry to the original peoples of the Caucasians of Europe

3) Native American/Indigenous American/Indian: this group consists of the those with direct ancestry to the original peoples of the tribes of North and South America (from the Aztecs of Mesoamerica to the Incas of the Peruvian highlands)

The other three are the mixed races, and are as follows:

4) Mulatto: 1) + 2) (as long as this mix contributes to the majority of the genetic make-up in the presence of other traits from other races not included in 1) and 2) (this group occurs with some predominance throughout Latin America today but with higher concentrations in Venezuela, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Panama, and Brasil)

5) Mestizo: 2) + 3) (as long as this mix contributes to the majority of the genetic make-up in the presence of other traits from other races not included in 2) and 3) (this group represents the majority of racial constitution in most parts of Latin America, including Venezuela, today)

6) Zambo: 1) + 3) (as long as this mix contributes to the majority of the genetic make-up in the presence of other traits from other races not included in 1) and 3) (this group is a fractional minority of the mixed race predominance in Latin America; sizeable populations can be found in Panama, Colombia, Peru and other countries whose Native Indian populations survived the European invasion massacres and who had sizeable slave labour populations sourced from Africa and The Caribbean

Therefore, you would likely be one of the six listed above. If your identity is not contained in the form (as I doubt it is), the correct thing to do is to select "Other" and move on. If you are not comfortable with "Other" (and some people are not), then I suppose you could identify yourself racially as "White" and ethnically as "Latino."

Finally, Latino and Hispanic are not races. There are simply terms to identify people (regardless of race) whose linguistic identity (the language they speak) and/or cultural affinity is sourced either from the Hispanophone communities (Spanish-speaking) or Latin communities (Romance-language speaking) depending on whether you like the US association or the more global association. Asking strangers to tell you your own racial identity is... well, interesting.

To be fair to you though, the US Census and all other documentation asking for racial identity is woefully limited and often forces individuals to select incorrect markers of their true racial identity. For instance, as the poster above alluded, there is no accurate classification to racially describe someone from The Phillipines. One would think that for a country as large and as diverse as this, more complete attempts would be made to properly identify people racially as opposed to forcing them into one of five or six traditional boxes.

Edited by Darth Vader Ku

Panem today, Panem tomorrow, Panem forever...

I have neither legal training nor immigration expertise; all comments posted must therefore be consumed in that vein.

My Naturalisation Timeline (Last updated: 16-April-14)

29-MAR-14: N-400 Petition Dispatched to USCIS [t-2]

30-MAR-14: Eligible to File N-400 Petition [t-1]

31-MAR-14: N-400 Petition Received by USCIS [t=0]

31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Dated [t=0]

31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Priority Date [t=0]

04-APR-14: Payment cheque cashed by USCIS [t+4]

07-APR-14: Online Status - Biometrics Appointment Notice Dispatched [t+7]

07-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Dated [t+7]

08-APR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Received [t+8]

14-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Received [t+14]

01-MAY-14: Biometrics Appointment [t+31]

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Interview Scheduling

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Interview Scheduled

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Dated

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Received

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Date

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduling

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduled

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Dated

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Received

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Date

00-XXX-14: US Passport Application Dispatched

00-XXX-14: US Passport Received

:dancing:

Filed: Timeline

Hey Im also Venezuelan and you definetly have to put HISPANIC/LATIN...btw, im also light skin!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.