4 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the following:

- I married my wife, a US citizen, in July 2013 in New Zealand. We filed I-130 in August 2013, received NOA-2 in February, and now have been assigned a NVC case number.

- I'm from New Zealand, but both my wife and I are currently in Australia. She's on a 1 year working holiday visa. We thought this would be the best way to stay together while my visa processing.

- She is not working at the moment. Her father, who lives with her in America, is willing to help me out with my I-184 as either a joint sponsor or by filling out an I-1864a.

- I'm very confused about the difference between the I-1864a and joint sponsorship. We essentially need my wife's father's income to cover my requirements. But what's the best option for us?

- It looks like to me like the best option is joint sponsorship, but I was wondering if there are any guidelines for that. Does he (joint sponsor) have to be related to me? Does he has to be living in the same house as my wife?

- Additionally: if we go the joint sponsorship route, we are unsure about which address to put for my wife, because she's here in Australia only temporarily. Should both the mailing address and residence address be her American address, or should we put down her American address for mailing and our temp Australian address for residence? How will this impact us?

Thank you so much.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the following:

- I married my wife, a US citizen, in July 2013 in New Zealand. We filed I-130 in August 2013, received NOA-2 in February, and now have been assigned a NVC case number.

- I'm from New Zealand, but both my wife and I are currently in Australia. She's on a 1 year working holiday visa. We thought this would be the best way to stay together while my visa processing.

- She is not working at the moment. Her father, who lives with her in America, is willing to help me out with my I-184 as either a joint sponsor or by filling out an I-1864a.

- I'm very confused about the difference between the I-1864a and joint sponsorship. We essentially need my wife's father's income to cover my requirements. But what's the best option for us?

- It looks like to me like the best option is joint sponsorship, but I was wondering if there are any guidelines for that. Does he (joint sponsor) have to be related to me? Does he has to be living in the same house as my wife?

- Additionally: if we go the joint sponsorship route, we are unsure about which address to put for my wife, because she's here in Australia only temporarily. Should both the mailing address and residence address be her American address, or should we put down her American address for mailing and our temp Australian address for residence? How will this impact us?

Thank you so much.

1. She is not working at the moment. Her father, who lives with her in America, is willing to help me out with my I-184 as either a joint sponsor or by filling out an I-1864a.

They both will fill out a I-864 form. If he filed jointly with spouse his wife would file out the I-864A

2. I'm very confused about the difference between the I-1864a and joint sponsorship. We essentially need my wife's father's income to cover my requirements. But what's the best option for us?

You have no options he fills out a I-864 and she fills out a I-864 submits all the documents, pay-stubs, letter of employment and for him he must show proof of citizenship.

3. It looks like to me like the best option is joint sponsorship, but I was wondering if there are any guidelines for that. Does he (joint sponsor) have to be related to me?

NO. He just has to be above the poverty guidelines for his household plus you and be a US citizen or LPR.

4. Does he has to be living in the same house as my wife? NO

5. Additionally: if we go the joint sponsorship route, we are unsure about which address to put for my wife, because she's here in Australia only temporarily. Should both the mailing address and residence address be her American address, or

should we put down her American address for mailing and our temp Australian address for residence? How will this impact us?

Where did your NOA2 go before? The biggest issue you have is that your wife has to show re-establishment of US Domicile. So why not put your US address

Edited by dwheels76

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Be sure to read the wiki linked in dwheels' signature:)

And consider closely following the NVC thread currently located here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/483206-nvc-filers-march-2014/

"If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you."

"Life is not what it's supposed to be. It's what it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Beneficiary - Applying for CR1/IR1 (but also played the K3 card prior to understanding it may be phased out.)

2013: July 20: I-130 sent (Chicago lockbox)

July 24: I-130 NOA1

July 24: I-129F sent (Dallas Lockbox)

Aug 2: I-129F NOA1

Aug 12: Alien Registration Number was changed, I-129F.

2014: Jan 28/29/30: - 3 transfer notices for I-130 and I-129F.

Feb 3 - Hard copy arrived -Notice of transfer to Texas stating Jan 29th.

Feb 10 - NOA2

Feb 27 - email stating I-130 being sent to NVC from TSC.

March 6 -NVC received our case.

April 7 - CASE NUMBER yay! IIN and BIN obtained and email given.

April 9 - DS261 available and filled in online.

April 9 - AOS not yet payable but visible.

April 10 - email regarding NVC case number and access to DS261 received/ email regarding AOS received and paid.

April 11 - AOS sent by snail mail.

April 14 - AOS arrived per mail tracking.

April 15 - IV bill received via email, IV bill paid/ in process, IV package sent.

April 18 - IV bill showing paid/ DS-260 available and done!

- AOS scanned into their system.

April 21 - IV package arrived per mail tracking.

April 24 - IV scanned into their system.

May 2 - False checklist for IV documents= AOS approval.

May 13 - NVC rep reported ? missing Police certificate via my phone call.

- Supervisor review initiated.

May 14 - Checklist for Police certificate came via email.

- Sent checklisted documentation priority post!

May 15 - Package delivered per mail tracking.

May 19 - Case COMPLETE!! Police certificate found by NVC:)

May 28 - Case complete email arrived.

May 30 - Assigned Interview date!

June 2 - Interview letter arrived via email.

June 11- Medical appointment Surrey, BC

July 8 - Interview in Montreal!! APPROVED!!!!!!!! July 10 - Visa package and passport in hand!! July 23 - POE!!

Thanks guys!

The NOA2 was sent to my wife's address in America, which she still has on file with the USCIS and NVC. Looks like the best option is for my wife's father and her to be joint sponsor, and her mother to supplement an I-864A (since she filed her taxes jointly with my wife's father).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.