RachelleMyke

Surprise visit after K-1 sent in

44 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am considering a surprise visit and I am extremely nervous about trying to cross the border, and reading the 'Yes, you can visit' thread made me even more nervous. Here's my situation:

In February, my fiancé (then boyfriend) came to Canada and then we were intending to drive back to the US together. I intended to stay for about 2.5 months. I had a return flight and a letter from my employer saying I was approved for a leave of absence, as well as travel insurance. They did not let me cross. I've yet to read about a situation like this so I'm curious and nervous. When they didn't let me cross, they didn't even ask to see any of my proof of ties to Canada even when I offered them they said no (This is all pre-K-1 filing). They allowed me to retract my 'application for entry' because they believed my intentions were honest. We were stuck at the border for hours where I had to swear under oath all of my intentions (to visit my boyfriend, that we intended on applying for a K-1 eventually, etc). They took my prints, picture, etc. Gave me a copy of the paperwork and he was on his way to drive me home...... Worst day of my life.

Since then, I haven't tried to cross the border at all. He has visited once since with no hassle, and then we sent in our application for the K-1 Visa. We've only so far received a receipt that it was received and the cheque was cashed.

I really would like to still use my flight that I already had booked from the US to Canada on April 16th and I was thinking that I would like to surprise my fiancé with a week visit. BUT... I am soooo nervous they will not let me in. I know I could be banned from entering for five or ten years if so. Here's my situation:

I live with my mother, and pay rent to her monthly, but my name isn't on her lease.
I haven't gone back to work since the leave of absence started. I still have the letter saying I am expected back to work on April 19th.

I have travel insurance through my bank until April 19th.

I can produce bank statements showing I have savings, however no money coming in since February.

I have the paperwork from when I was denied entry, showing I swore under oath that we would be filing for a K-1 and that I intended to marry him.

I have a copy of the K-1 Visa paperwork we sent in this month.

I can also have a copy of the e-mail sent to him saying that the Visa was received by them.

I just am so scared that they won't let me cross due to lack of proof of ties and I will be banned from re-entering for five-ten years because if that were to happen, we would change our plans completely and he would have to move to Canada, which we both don't want. Has anyone had any sort of similar situation who can offer me advice? I'm so nervous!! Thank you.

I am considering a surprise visit and I am extremely nervous about trying to cross the border, and reading the 'Yes, you can visit' thread made me even more nervous. Here's my situation:

In February, my fiancé (then boyfriend) came to Canada and then we were intending to drive back to the US together. I intended to stay for about 2.5 months. I had a return flight and a letter from my employer saying I was approved for a leave of absence, as well as travel insurance. They did not let me cross. I've yet to read about a situation like this so I'm curious and nervous. When they didn't let me cross, they didn't even ask to see any of my proof of ties to Canada even when I offered them they said no (This is all pre-K-1 filing). They allowed me to retract my 'application for entry' because they believed my intentions were honest. We were stuck at the border for hours where I had to swear under oath all of my intentions (to visit my boyfriend, that we intended on applying for a K-1 eventually, etc). They took my prints, picture, etc. Gave me a copy of the paperwork and he was on his way to drive me home...... Worst day of my life.

Since then, I haven't tried to cross the border at all. He has visited once since with no hassle, and then we sent in our application for the K-1 Visa. We've only so far received a receipt that it was received and the cheque was cashed.

I really would like to still use my flight that I already had booked from the US to Canada on April 16th and I was thinking that I would like to surprise my fiancé with a week visit. BUT... I am soooo nervous they will not let me in. I know I could be banned from entering for five or ten years if so. Here's my situation:

I live with my mother, and pay rent to her monthly, but my name isn't on her lease.

I haven't gone back to work since the leave of absence started. I still have the letter saying I am expected back to work on April 19th.

I can produce bank statements showing I have savings, however no money coming in since February.

I have the paperwork from when I was denied entry, showing I swore under oath that we would be filing for a K-1 and that I intended to marry him.

I can also have a copy of the e-mail sent to him saying that the Visa was received by them.

I just am so scared that they won't let me cross due to lack of proof of ties and I will be banned from re-entering for five-ten years because if that were to happen, we would change our plans completely and he would have to move to Canada, which we both don't want. Has anyone had any sort of similar situation who can offer me advice? I'm so nervous!! Thank you.

Why they are going to ban you for 5 years or 10 years if you have not enter yet?

Timeline

Why they are going to ban you for 5 years or 10 years if you have not enter yet?

When I was denied entry in February, they told me they could have banned me then. Luckily they allowed me to retract my application for entry. If they decide to ban me from entering again if they deny me again, as far as I know, its up to them at the time, and they can. Perhaps I misunderstood?

Why they would've banned you? You did not lie or overstayed. If they don't believe you, just showed to them NOA-1 that you have I-129F is processing now to get K-1 visa.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

When I was denied entry in February, they told me they could have banned me then. Luckily they allowed me to retract my application for entry. If they decide to ban me from entering again if they deny me again, as far as I know, its up to them at the time, and they can. Perhaps I misunderstood?

They can banned you to enter because they always think that you have intent to immigrate -as always even though you don't- . But, it wouldn't affect your K-1 visa application if you are approved . Of course when you applied for K-1 visa, you have to put date when they refused you come to the country.

As long as you don't have legal problems about you coming to the US for instance overstayed or misrepresented documents, I would not put speculation that you will get ban for 5-10 years just because they don't think you have a strong ties to your country.

It just like when people applied for B-2 visa and get denied because they don't have strong ties to their home countries. A consular officer's final decision whether they have approved it or not is not based on previous denial. And after you have your K-1 visa, they can't say. " I would not let you in", just because you have previous denial on the border.

Edited by Girl from Celebes

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

Bring proof ties to your home. Bring a copy of the NOA1. My husband filed i-130 just weeks ago and I am going to visit him next month, I am nervous . Maybe they think that you are going to AOS in the states once they let you in, though your intention is just to visit.

Timeline

They can banned you to enter because they always think that you have intent to immigrate -as always even though you don't- . But, it wouldn't affect your K-1 visa application if you are approved . Of course when you applied for K-1 visa, you have to put date when they refused you come to the country.

As long as you don't have legal problems about you coming to the US for instance overstayed or misrepresented documents, I would not put speculation that you will get ban for 5-10 years just because they don't think you have a strong ties to your country.

It just like when people applied for B-2 visa and get denied because they don't have strong ties to their home countries. A consular officer's final decision whether they have approved it or not is not based on previous denial. And after you have your K-1 visa, they can't say. " I would not let you in", just because you have previous denial on the border.

But my visa is still pending so if they ban me from entering for 5 years wouldn't that affect the visa? I expect the visa to be approved by the end of this year.

When I applied for the K-1 there was nothing asking for me to put the date they had refused me entry previously. Now Im worried we did something wrong in the application....

Timeline

You won't be banned. At worst, just denied entry.

Not that I don't trust your answer, because this makes me feel better, but can I ask how you're sure of this?

But my visa is still pending so if they ban me from entering for 5 years wouldn't that affect the visa? I expect the visa to be approved by the end of this year.

When I applied for the K-1 there was nothing asking for me to put the date they had refused me entry previously. Now Im worried we did something wrong in the application....

They won't banned you. As far as my knowledge, it only applies to those who overstayed or misrepresented documents. Someone can stand corrected me if I am wrong. You are still on petition stage, aren't you? On the stage of I-129F, they don't ask you about that, ONLY when you apply for K-1 visa application after your I-129F approved and you have to completed the online DS-160 form and one of entries ask about your previous refusal/denial.

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

Timeline

They won't banned you. As far as my knowledge, it only applies to those who overstayed or misrepresented documents. Someone can stand corrected me if I am wrong. You are still on petition stage, aren't you? On the stage of I-129F, they don't ask you about that, ONLY when you apply for K-1 visa application after your I-129F approved and you have to completed the online DS-160 form and one of entries ask about your previous refusal/denial.

Ohh okay I gotcha. Yes, our case has just been opened so we aren't at the stage where we have to answer about previous refused entries.

I'm feeling better about booking a plane ticket now but I'm still concerned that I dont have enough proof of ties to Canada.

Ohh okay I gotcha. Yes, our case has just been opened so we aren't at the stage where we have to answer about previous refused entries.

I'm feeling better about booking a plane ticket now but I'm still concerned that I dont have enough proof of ties to Canada.

It would be better, just my thought, that bring a copy of your NOA-1 and when you are about started talking to one of officers, put your NOA-1 on the top. Talk to them carefully that you are already waiting for an approval and won't risk a chance to be with your fiance and jeopardize the whole immigration process to the US.

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

I went and visited my fiance for 3 months while waiting for NOA2 and interview and had no significant ties to Canada--no job, no home, and no fixed address for the previous couple of years. Just had a receipt from a storage place where my car and belongings were in storage (which I didn't have to show). I had no problem. Is it possible, when you were denied before, that you were too gung ho to reveal all of your evidence and maybe appeared a bit suspicious? You said you drove over--did you have a lot of stuff wth you that maybe looked like you were moving?

Have all your docs and stuff ready but don't offer them up unless asked. Just be cool and answer as simply as possible the questions you're asked.

Do you have any criminal charges at all that would affect your ability to cross the border, even if its minor (or seems minor) in nature? It seems weird that they wouldn't even give you a chance to show proof of ties to Canada, but then again border crossing can be so random. Was it your first visit? Did you have a number of extended visits previously?

My boyfriend got denied entry to Canada when we were driving back to my home a few years ago because of a petty misdemeanor charge from almost 10 years ago (even though he had visited previously with no issues) ... that and we didn't even think to bring any proof of ties either (so naive at that point in time lol). I had to drive him to Minot so he could fly back home and then drive back alone to Canada to work- yeah I was super devastated and so sad for a long time, it was awful. When I came to spend last summer with him in the US, I got pulled into secondary screening for a while because I was planning on staying a few months and didn't buy a return ticket, and the CO asked me about that incident (so I guess expect your previous entry attempt will be documented when you try to enter). They let me visit, and I have been to the US 4 times since then with no problems, but I was surprised that my fiances inability to cross into Canada was documented on my passport.

If you enter and they deny you, you shouldn't get "banned", but you will have to return home. Just be prepared to face that reality again, because every crossing is a new adventure.

M

Timeline

I went and visited my fiance for 3 months while waiting for NOA2 and interview and had no significant ties to Canada--no job, no home, and no fixed address for the previous couple of years. Just had a receipt from a storage place where my car and belongings were in storage (which I didn't have to show). I had no problem. Is it possible, when you were denied before, that you were too gung ho to reveal all of your evidence and maybe appeared a bit suspicious? You said you drove over--did you have a lot of stuff wth you that maybe looked like you were moving?

Have all your docs and stuff ready but don't offer them up unless asked. Just be cool and answer as simply as possible the questions you're asked.

Wow. Alright!

Last time when I was denied, they asked me if I had a return flight, I said yes. They didn't ask for proof. They took our phones, and asked if the confirmation for the flight was in mine, I said yes. They didn't mention it again. They then asked how I had gotten so much time off of work so I explained my work wasn't busy during winter (BBQ tech support). I said, I have a letter from them that says when I'll be back. He didn't want to see it. He did mention I had a lot of stuff with me. It was all clothing. In the end, when he told me I wouldn't be crossing, his sole reason was because of lack of significant ties to Canada. He said had I had bank statements and proof of a lease (which I don't have, I explained, i live with my mother) then I may have gotten in. If I try this, I will definitely have every piece of paper with me possible... And hope for the best. I just don't want to deal with the emotions of being so hopeful of spending time together and then being crushed all over again.

At least since I'm planning to surprise him, he won't be disappointed if I can't cross because he won't know I'm on my way there.... His sister would be picking me up at the airport...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.