Rasenganguy

My name and credit score

14 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I have moved to the US on the first of november 2013. I got my social security card ant the end of november 2013. My brother has added me on his credit card to help me build my credit score. The problem is that my name is too long to fit on the security card but it fits on the green card. When I went to check at the SS administration office, they told me that they can do nothing for me and their system won't accept my whole name and that they will truncate it.

Yesterday I tried to get my credit score from anual report and from credit karma. Both told me they cannot get my credit score because the information I submited does not match what they found.

So I am concerned is it only because I am new in the US (only 4 monthes in the US) or is it because I type my full name which may not match the name that ss adminstation has submitted? How can I fix it?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Im beginning to think that even if you are added to a spouses credit card as an authorized user it doesn't do much for your credit score, I was added to my husbands credit card a few months ago, the card is paid on time every month and credit karma cant even give me a credit score as I have what they describe as a "thin file". In other words, not enough credit to give me a credit score.

heart.gif Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite heart.gif

Timeline

Im beginning to think that even if you are added to a spouses credit card as an authorized user it doesn't do much for your credit score, I was added to my husbands credit card a few months ago, the card is paid on time every month and credit karma cant even give me a credit score as I have what they describe as a "thin file". In other words, not enough credit to give me a credit score.

When did you get your ss number? Since when did your husband add you as an authorized user?

I am thinking it may be because I am in US just 4 monthes now. My brother has like 800 credit score but he added me like 3 monthes ago. I was thinking it is either because I don't know how the SS administration has declared my name or because I am still new in US. Maybe should I wait till I am 6 monthes old here in US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Authorized user doesn't give you much. Get your own one with spouse / relative as co-signer, it will do much more for you credit score (assumming you use it reasonably) than being authorized user on someone elses card (impacts co-signer credit score though).

When did you get your ss number? Since when did your husband add you as an authorized user?

I am thinking it may be because I am in US just 4 monthes now. My brother has like 800 credit score but he added me like 3 monthes ago. I was thinking it is either because I don't know how the SS administration has declared my name or because I am still new in US. Maybe should I wait till I am 6 monthes old here in US.

I got my SSN beginning of February and I was added straight away. Got my Credit Card in the mail a week later. Like your brother my husband has a good credit score. But I guess its only been just under 2 months since I was added on it. These things take time.

Authorized user doesn't give you much. Get your own one with spouse / relative as co-signer, it will do much more for you credit score (assumming you use it reasonably) than being authorized user on someone elses card (impacts co-signer credit score though).

Thank you Kzielu. Is there a particular credit card which is good for first time SSN holders you could recommend?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

I would say that as long as you're getting it co-signed by somebody with good credit score it really doesn't matter - I got one from my company's credit union. There are couple of them that are easy to get for new immigrants on their own (secured) but have very little knowledge about them...

I would say that as long as you're getting it co-signed by somebody with good credit score it really doesn't matter - I got one from my company's credit union. There are couple of them that are easy to get for new immigrants on their own (secured) but have very little knowledge about them...

Thank you.

Rasenganguy - I don't know if this is any help, but a week ago I did apply for my own credit card. Ironically following on from our discussion I checked my mail today to find a letter to say my application had been denied... However.. I was supplied with my Credit score which was average/good. The letter basically explained that because I have only had credit for a few months I have not built up enough credit history for them to accept my Application. It states:

Primary factors:

• The short length of time since your oldest credit card was issued
  • Not having a revolving account opened for the past 12 months.

So it seems even if you are just an authorized user on your partners card you do gain a credit score, it just needs more time to build up. I hope this helps.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

It took me a good six months ore more before I got a credit score and not just the thin file response. I did end up getting a 760 score without actually having a credit card of my own though.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Rasenganguy - I don't know if this is any help, but a week ago I did apply for my own credit card. Ironically following on from our discussion I checked my mail today to find a letter to say my application had been denied... However.. I was supplied with my Credit score which was average/good. The letter basically explained that because I have only had credit for a few months I have not built up enough credit history for them to accept my Application. It states:

Primary factors:

• The short length of time since your oldest credit card was issued
  • Not having a revolving account opened for the past 12 months.
So it seems even if you are just an authorized user on your partners card you do gain a credit score, it just needs more time to build up. I hope this helps.
Absolutely. It takes time -

Being an authorized user does help build credit. And as time goes on it will help you be able to get your own credit line, even if it isn't a really high limit card. Although it sucks you got denied for a card, at least you have an explanation why and can go from there. Just building things one step at a time. It's just like if someone has poor credit, even when something is paid off it takes a while for that to reflect on the credit report(s) and score. But having no credit is better in that you don't have to overcome past mistakes, just make good choices. . It's a process, but it works. Just like the visa process.... Lol

A good way to help build is getting a store card like best buy, target, walmart or amazon - even though it is not a visa/Amex/MasterCard, it still helps build your available credit line and reflects timely payments.

OP, sorry I don't have any suggestions for you..... I'm sure someone has experienced something similar and will hopefully be able to give you some advice.

Edited by gwenstar
s-event.png s-event.png
IR-1/CR-1 Visa : National Benefits Center NVC Received: 2014-01-08
Consulate : Montreal, Canada NVC Case Number: 2014-02-07
Marriage : 2013-02-22 Paid I-864 Bill: 2014-02-13
I-130 Sent : 2013-03-16 Sent I-864 Docs: 2014-02-14
I-130 NOA1 : 2013-03-20 Paid IV Bill: 2014-03-03
Trans. to NSC : 2013-11-05 Sent IV Docs: 2014-03-04
I-130 NOA2: 2013-12-16 Submitted DS-260: 2014-03-06

Case Complete 2014-03-21

Interview & APPROVED 2014-05-08

POE 2014-06-21

Timeline

thank you all for the suggestion. I think you are all right. Best thing to do now is wait till 6 monthes has passed and I will try to get my credit score. I was scared at the beginning thinking it may be related to my name. I will try to apply for a secured credit card at capital one with a $200 limit to see if I will be accepted or no. I think it won't hurt to try.

thank you all for the suggestion. I think you are all right. Best thing to do now is wait till 6 monthes has passed and I will try to get my credit score. I was scared at the beginning thinking it may be related to my name. I will try to apply for a secured credit card at capital one with a $200 limit to see if I will be accepted or no. I think it won't hurt to try.

Another option is to apply for a Joint credit card with your spouse as opposed to just being added as an "authorized" user. What will happen is, you will have to apply separately (and qualify based on your own application) but will have and share the same credit line (and debt) as your spouse. Provided you use and pay it monthly reporting will benefit both your credit scores and at the end of 6 months you will have established a credit history.

Secured credit cards are always an option but the bad thing about them is that they require a cash collateral in deposits that you would have to maintain and keep with the bank. Your credit line will also be limited to the amount of the deposit and a lower credit line also means lower credit scores. Until you graduate to an unsecured credit your scores will be limited.

Sein oder Nichtsein, das ist heir die Frage.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

oh boy, I think everyone above is right and My Boyfriend has lived in the US for about 6 years, had credit cards, financed a car and built his credit But Credit Karma is Very Strict with the Details, EVERY LETTER has to match what the credit bureaus have on file and in your case since your name is so long even missing one letter will make them say that. so Good luck, My boyfriend STILL can't log on to credit Karma. :sleepy:

ROC -I751: Removal of Conditions on Green Card   

Green Card Expires: 05/20/2017

Local USCIS office: Oakland Park, FL 

App Will Be Sent to: California Service Center

03/18/2017 - Application Sent (I-751)

03/20/2017 - Application Delivered. (Day 1)

03/24/2017 - Date Of Biometrics Letter (Day 4)

03/30/2017 - Date I Received Biometrics Letter (Day 10)

04/14/2017 - Actual Biometrics Appointment @ 10 AM (Day 25)

Never Received  - NOA 

01/18/2018 - I-551 Stamp (Day 305)

06/26/2018 - Case was transferred to NSC. (Day 463)

08/03/2018 - Received 18 month extension letter. (Day 501)

09/01/2018 - Submitted N400! (Day 530)

N-400 Citizenship 

Permanent Resident Since: 05/20/2015

Local USCIS Office: Oakland Park, FL 

Applied Online. 

09/01/2018 - Application Submitted Online (N-400)

09/07/2018 - Received physical copy of app receipt in the mail. (Day 6)

09/08/2018 - Biometrics Scheduled. (Day 7)

09/27/2018 - Biometrics appointment. (Day 26)

06/21/2019 - Interview Scheduled. (Day 293)

08/10/2019 - Interview - Passed. (Day 343)

08/23/2019 - Oath Ceremony!!! (Day 356)

Timeline

oh boy, I think everyone above is right and My Boyfriend has lived in the US for about 6 years, had credit cards, financed a car and built his credit But Credit Karma is Very Strict with the Details, EVERY LETTER has to match what the credit bureaus have on file and in your case since your name is so long even missing one letter will make them say that. so Good luck, My boyfriend STILL can't log on to credit Karma. :sleepy:

I guess yes too much security but better a lot than nothing.

Btw my wife is still outside the US. I just filled I130 for her so my only options now is to be an authorized user on my brother's credit card and get a secured credit card for myself.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.