RiverDeep

Bad Interview Experience :-( - Fairfax VA

67 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi VJers

We had our dreaded interview this morning. We arrived at 10:40am and waited in the waiting room with other couples. Some had lawyers with them and some didn't. I was naturally feeling nervous. Our lawyer wanted to be there and showed up also. We waited a bit and then the IO called us back, I'm guessing it was after 11:00am. It was everything I hoped it wouldn't be. He swore us in and then began going over the paperwork. . He asked me questions from the paperwork to verify information and asked my husband full name and D.OB. He looked over our joint accounts. Things were going ok at this point. But then it turned for the worse. We had a stern and rude immigration officer. Every now and then he would laugh which gave me some relief but then he'd go back to being stern again. He had this Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde type personality. He asked me husband those questions from the I-485 and looked over our joint accounts

He asked me my husband's full name and his D.O.B. Afterwards he wanted to know how we met. I told him our story. My husband interjected a few times to add information. We were just trying to make sure we explained everything. Then he out of the blue told me I liked to talk and when he asked my husband questions I need to be quiet in a very stern and rude tone. He began going over the paperwork with him. He asked him his mothers name and my husband at first didn't understand the question. I told him "your mother's name" to clarify. The IO got a real attitude with me for doing that and threatened to end the interview. He claimed I was constantly interrupting which was not true. Some times he'd ask questions and didn't direct it to anyone in particular and I might answer since he didn't specify who he wanted to answer. The problem was with him for not saying who he wanted to answer. He proceeded to ask my husband why he came into the country. He came to take a few classes toward his bar exam and planned to leave before his visa expired. He told the officer that and his attitude was negative the whole time. He asked my husband my parents names and whether or not he had met them. My husband told him he has spoken to them on the phone. Then he wanted to know when he was planning to meet them in person. He told him he planned to in April. It wasn't so much what the officer said it was his negative attitude towards us.

He looked over our joint accounts one final time and asked us if we had anymore information. Then he told us if we had anymore information we could mail it in to him. Considering the list of items I don't know how much more we could send. I had cards from my co-workers congratulating us on the wedding as well as a Christmas card from my mom. He wasn't interested in looking at it. He took our photo album and looked at our pictures. At first he was holding the album wrong and I told him the pictures begin here. He SNAPPED at me told me I know how to hold a photo album! I wasn't suggesting he didn't...geeesssh! When he came to the pictures of us in Egypt together I told him those pictures are from Egypt. Then he SNAP on me again and said " I know what Egypt look like you're not the only person that ever been to Egypt I've been there before also!" Like Seriously?? Was that even necessary?? He gave this arrogant smirky laugh after he said it. He took 5 of our pictures and ran copies of them which I thought was unusual since no one on VJ ever said that happened to them. He told us these things take 60 to 90 days and we should get a letter in the mail. Afterwards we left. I was so sick, disgusted, and disappointed. Our lawyer told us there is no reason for him to deny us and he's just giving us a hard time because my husband came on a B2 visa and then he was trying to establish INTENT. I really don't know what to think :-(. This wait is going to be agonizing :-(.

Marriage Certificate

Joint Apartment Lease

Renter’s Insurance

Health Insurance

Dental Insurance

Vision Insurance

Life Insurance

Designation of Beneficiary – Retirement

Designation of Beneficiary – Unpaid Compensation

Car Insurance

Joint Bank Account

Joint Cell Phone Account

Emergency Contact Sheet (Job)

Religious Ceremony 08/31/2013

Mailed documents 12/11/2013

Case received (ups certification) 12/13/2013

Text and Email NOAs received (USCIS) 12/19/2013

Biometrics Appt Letter 12/23/2013

Biometrics done (Early walk-in) 12/31/2013

Original date 01/17/2014

I-485 Changed to "Testing & Interview" 01/14/2014

Interview Scheduled 02/03/2014

Email EAD Production 02/19/2014

Email EAD Card Mailed 02/24/2014 (will arrive 02/26)

Email EAD Approval Notice Mailed 02/24/2014

Interview 03/11/2014

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove excessive empty space

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience at the interview. Some of the IO's apparently just enjoy traumatizing people.

I really hope the IO's attitude doesn't delay the issuing of the green card.

Stay positive that you'll get it issued asap!

04/25/2009: First Met and not long after began a long distance relationship.

10/27/2012: Married

12/20/2013 Most recent US Entry. Two week visit intended - decided to switch from consular processing to AOS after change in circumstances.

I-130 - See my profile for detailed info

AOS

02/05/2014: I-693 Civil Surgeon Medical Exam

02/28/2014: (00) AOS sent

03/03/2014: (03) AOS received

03/05/2014: (05) NOA date

03/06/2014: (06) Cheques cashed

03/10/2014: (10) Received hardcopy of NOA's

03/17/2014: (17) Received biometrics notice (appt. date 04/07/2014)

03/18/2014: (18) Successful walk-in for biometrics Brooklyn ASC

04/10/2014: (41) AOS E-mail notification status updated to Testing and Interview

04/16/2014: (47) AOS E-mail notification Interview Appointment Notice for May 19, 2014 @ 9:30 a.m.

05/08/2014: (69) EAD card in production e-mail notification

05/14/2014: (75) EAD card mailed and tracking number e-mail notification

05/16/2014: (77) EAD card received and applied for SSN

05/19/2014: (80) AOS Interview at Federal Plaza - approval pending due to I-130 file not transferred to NYC field office from Nebraska!

06/04/2014: (96) Infopass scheduled in order to show approved I-130 notice and attempt to get I-485 approval sped up. IO wasn't at work so left copy of approved I-130 and written case review request.

06/20/2014: (112) Green card was approved.

06/26/2014: (118) Received e-mail/text notification of green card approval and that card was also mailed. Received USPS tracking number at 6:45 p.m. EST.

06/27/2014: (119) Received green card in the mailbox.

ROC

03/22/2016: (00) I-751 package sent

03/23/2016: (01) I-751 package received at CSC

03/28/2016: (07) Rcvd NOA1 that includes 1 yr GC extension

03/31/2016: (10) Rcvd Bio appt notice (appt. date 04/11/2016)

04/05/2016: (15) Early bio walk-in attempt successful

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

so, the two things I wrote about, for receiving more scrutiny because of,

how do you feel about it now?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

so, the two things I wrote about, for receiving more scrutiny because of,

how do you feel about it now?

I certainly didn't walk into the interview with my head in the clouds. We expected to be scrutinized but were hoping for a good interview experience. It's not the scrutiny that bothered me so much because there wasn't that much of it. It was his bad attitude toward us that was problematic. He said rude statements to me that didn't even make since to say. He has a ton of joint accounts so there is absolutely NO WAY he can say our marriage isn't real. He can only cause a delay in receiving the green card which is disheartening. Our lawyer said he didn't hear us say anything that might cause a problem.

I suppose his country of origin and visa type is the reason for it. He certainly didn't tell us that.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

IMO, those two things turned his switch ON.

Sure, it's a switch for douche-baggery, but he was doing that on purpose, in an effort to rile you two .

It's a good thing the attorney was there, actually - IMO he prevented something untoward and he will tell you about it, if'n you ask him.

Had you two gotten riled, expect either instant split with stokes interview right then and there,

or a sudden/instant reschedule for a stokes interview.

That dinna happen, so that's a plus. One less thing, IMO...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

IMO, those two things turned his switch ON.

Sure, it's a switch for douche-baggery, but he was doing that on purpose, in an effort to rile you two .

It's a good thing the attorney was there, actually - IMO he prevented something untoward and he will tell you about it, if'n you ask him.

Had you two gotten riled, expect either instant split with stokes interview right then and there,

or a sudden/instant reschedule for a stokes interview.

That dinna happen, so that's a plus. One less thing, IMO...

douche baggery...LOL! That's exactly what it was. He did correct his name for us but now I'm wandering if we can get the SS# with his work permit which has his name wrong OR do we need to wait for the green card...whenever it comes :-/. Fingers crossed there will be no more interviews.

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience at the interview. Some of the IO's apparently just enjoy traumatizing people.

I really hope the IO's attitude doesn't delay the issuing of the green card.

Stay positive that you'll get it issued asap!

It has so far caused a delay :-( We're trying to stay positive though.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You believe that having a lot of joint account is irrefutable proof of a bona fide marriage?

This is something I think a lot of people incorrectly think, anyone could do that whether the marriage is bona fide or not and I wouldn't be surprised if they get suspicious if you really pile on a lot of such documentation, especially at the AOS stage.

Timeline

This is something I think a lot of people incorrectly think, anyone could do that whether the marriage is bona fide or not and I wouldn't be surprised if they get suspicious if you really pile on a lot of such documentation, especially at the AOS stage.

Suspicious because a couple has a lot of documentation to support their marriage?? Now thats a new one! Have a good day/night :-)

That's awful, I'm sorry it went so poorly. I'm usually very out-spoken but I would definitely get thrown off-guard and intimidated which would probably throw off anyone during an interview, which doesn't mean your marriage isn't bona fide.

Sounds like he was having a bad day or on a power trip, because being an USCIS officer or not, there is no reason to treat someone like that or be a general dickwad. You guys are still people, going through a difficult enough process as it is, and deserve to be spoken to as human beings.

Good luck, hope it all works out!

AOS:

Green Card Received in 168 Days

ROC

06/17/2016: ROC Mailed via USPS Express in Large Flate-Rate Box to Vermont Service Center (P.O. Box)

06/18/2016: ROC Delivered by USPS

06/22/2016: Check Cashed

06/24/2016: NOA1 Received Dated 06/20/2016

07/09/2016: ASC Appointment Notice Received Dated 07/02/2016 & Scheduled 07/21/2016

07/21/2016: Biometrics Successfully Completed (Birmingham)

05/18/2017: InfoPass Appointment - 1-Year Extension Stamp Received

06/06/2017: ROC Approval Letter Received Dated 05/30/2017

06/14/2017: Green Card Delivered!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That's awful, I'm sorry it went so poorly. I'm usually very out-spoken but I would definitely get thrown off-guard and intimidated which would probably throw off anyone during an interview, which doesn't mean your marriage isn't bona fide.

Sounds like he was having a bad day or on a power trip, because being an USCIS officer or not, there is no reason to treat someone like that or be a general dickwad. You guys are still people, going through a difficult enough process as it is, and deserve to be spoken to as human beings.

They had a Lawyer there, if anything truly inappropriate had been said the Lawyer could have stepped in.

The way it reads they had a challenging case and made it worse. Wondering why the Lawyer did not give them some guidance beforehand. But perhaps he did and the OP ignored it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

All I add, I heard many stories here how bad an interview was and the peeps ended up going home crying and alas a couple days later they see the approval notice. So I would say, hang in there! Don't take it too much at heart....and just keep your fingers crossed! :)

Timeline

All I add, I heard many stories here how bad an interview was and the peeps ended up going home crying and alas a couple days later they see the approval notice. So I would say, hang in there! Don't take it too much at heart....and just keep your fingers crossed! :)

Thanks. I appreciate that. He did ask for the I-94. From what I read that might be a positive sign. Fingers definitely crossed.

Timeline

Thanks for your support. It was definitely a power trip. He snapped at our lawyer a couple of times. When he came tothe door to let us so we could walk to his office. Our lawyer kept walking slowly back while the IO held the door open. He said in a stern tone to our lawyer "you know where you're going?" Our lawyer stopped walking. I knew at that moment it was going to be a bad day. Once he took us in his office and swore us in, our lawyer was holding our supporting evidence and politely laid it on his desk. The IO quickly snapped at him again in a rude stern tone" Dont lay anything on my desk until I ask for it" and gave his snarky laugh again. Our lawyer simply apologized.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.