Ajinomoto123

Father not wanting to sign I-130

49 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello, I currently live in Braziil and I am 20 years old. Well my stepfather is american (lives in Brazil as well) and on these last years the situation with my mom (Brazilian) is not so good, so she is considering divorce. I myself already lived in the US with my mother when she went to do a her PhD, I was 6 and came back with 10yrs.

So I decided that I want to live in the US, so basically I asked him to fill out the I-130 and he refused, saying that if I am in the US and he separates from my mom, he would be expelled from Brazil, wich I´m not sure if is true, but the real thing is that he is saying that becouse my mom will only ask for divorce after I am in the US, so he is using me against her.

Well thats a situation right? haha. But the real deal here is: How can I go to the US without his signature?

-My stepfather is not my sponsor, my sponsor would be his doughter´s husband (US citizen), and he wants me to go to the US.

-I was adopted before I was 16 and I´m not married.

Thanks!

Your step father would still be your sponsor for the I-864. The petitioner is always the sponsor, even if they have a joint sponsor. Were you under 18 when your mother and step father married?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Your step father would still be your sponsor for the I-864. The petitioner is always the sponsor, even if they have a joint sponsor. Were you under 18 when your mother and step father married?

Hum, but woudn´t my uncle be the sponsor on I-864? Becouse my step father doesn´t have the meanings to be a sponsor, so he can´t be even he he wanted to. Yes, I was 12 years old when the got married.

Edited by Ajinomoto123

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

ditto

your stepfather is your sponsor and petitioner, plus if your mom will be filing for divorce, the petition would be voided, since he wouldn't be your stepfather anymore

is he going to move back to the US? the reason for a petition is for family reunification. that you and your mom come to live with him in the US

I-130 is for family reunification, and your step father lives in Brazil. You can't go to the US if he does not live in the US. That's not the purpose of family visas.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Hum, but woudn´t my uncle be the sponsor on I-864? Becouse my step father doesn´t have the meanings to be a sponsor, so he can´t be even he he wanted to. Yes, I was 12 years old when the got married.

hi

your uncle would be the joint sponsor. the petitioner is always the primary sponsor. the petitioner has to prove to the US government that the beneficiary won't become a public charge, even if he made $0,he still has to send the i864 as primary sponsor.

the petitioner can have a joint sponsor

but as said, if your mom is going to divorce him, then there is no relationship in the first place, he will no longer be your stepfather

Timeline

He is registered as my father, so it woudnt be voided if she asked for divorce.

hi

that is a lie, because he is not your biological father and you cannot prove it with a DNA test

you mentioned stepfather not your biological father.

lying to immigration can incur in a lifetime ban

and also, he does not have the obligation to file for you

Timeline

hi

that is a lie, because he is not your biological father and you cannot prove it with a DNA test

you mentioned stepfather not your biological father.

lying to immigration can incur in a lifetime ban

and also, he does not have the obligation to file for you

I woudnt lie, I´m just saying that he is basically my father and it woudn´t be different with a divorce.

Oh sorry just noticed the step-father is in Brazil.

Sorry OP, I suggest looking into student visas. This isn't going to work for you.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

No, if he's not married to your mother, unless he's your adopted father, legally, he cannot petition you.

Edited by NLR

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.