zoom_

visit boyfriend on vwp/ esta ?

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi everyone i wanted to visit my boyfriend in november, but i'm worried last time i was in the us which was in october to november (1 month) i had issues at poe. i went to visit family not him, i was sent to secondary screening and i was asked questions for about 3 h on why i was planning to stay 3 months, my trip got shorted to 1 month and they let me in. They gave me a date to leave the us and i left in time.However this time i want to visit him, i will be giving them his address and i will only stay for 3 weeks

Any of you that has visited boyfriends / girlfriends in the usa and been denied because of this? or someone that visited their boyfriend / girlfriend without any problems?, i'm really worried because of last time. I also wonder if it counts as over using vwp im planning on going in november that means a year past by since i was there last timeClockWatch2.gif ? did cbp give a hard time for wanting to visit boyfriend/ girlfriend???

thank you in advance

and im sorry for my english blush.png

Edited by zoom_

I'm not sure. I think you would have to take strong ties to your country to show you will return.

I was hassled as well and I'm also from a visa waiver country. There was no current visa petition for me such as k1 or I-130 yet they still grilled the heck outta me lol

My advice is take strong ties to prove you will return.

05-19-2012 - Met in Seoul, Korea

03-30-2013 - Married in Washington State

USCIS

01-03-2014 - I-130 Package sent to Chicago lockbox

01-10-2014 - NOA1. Case sent to Texas Service Center

01-14-2014 - Expedite requested due to military deployment

02-04-2014 - NOA2 (Expedite approved)

02-28-2014 - Case shipped to NVC

NVC

03-11-2014 - NVC received case

04-10-2014 - NVC case number assigned

04-15-2014 - DS-261 completed online

04-15-2014 - Expedite requested

04-28-2014 - Case forwarded to consulate (Expedite approved)

Consulate

05-30-2014 - Medical

06-12-2014 - Interview

06-20-2014 - Visa in hand

09-21-2014 - POE (San Francisco)

You can bring documents that will prove you will leave in 3 weeks, like an approved leave of absence from work and a return ticket. It really depends on the POE. There are those that typically hassle people that reveal their reason for visit is to visit a boyfriend/girlfriend (like Detroit). Look at the reviews for POEs so you can assess the harassment level at your planned POE. Good luck!

Sein oder Nichtsein, das ist heir die Frage.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to Tourist Visas forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Timeline

visiting after about a year should not raise any red flags...just make sure you don't bring 6 suitcases for your three week trip, or else the border folks will wonder about why you need so much stuff for so short of a trip. Also on the plus side is the fact that you did indeed (according to what you posted) leave when you were supposed to....so it sounds doubtful that you will be 'grilled' but not impossible.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone i wanted to visit my boyfriend in november, but i'm worried last time i was in the us which was in october to november (1 month) i had issues at poe. i went to visit family not him, i was sent to secondary screening and i was asked questions for about 3 h on why i was planning to stay 3 months, my trip got shorted to 1 month and they let me in. They gave me a date to leave the us and i left in time.However this time i want to visit him, i will be giving them his address and i will only stay for 3 weeks

Any of you that has visited boyfriends / girlfriends in the usa and been denied because of this? or someone that visited their boyfriend / girlfriend without any problems?, i'm really worried because of last time. I also wonder if it counts as over using vwp im planning on going in november that means a year past by since i was there last timeClockWatch2.gif ? did cbp give a hard time for wanting to visit boyfriend/ girlfriend???

thank you in advance

and im sorry for my english blush.png

Unfortunately all we can really do is speculate, it's 100% up to the discretion of the border office whether you will be admitted to the country or not. Previous records of you coming and leaving timely should help. Do I read right that you're not going to be coming back until November, 9 months from now? If so, I don't see you having much in the way of issues.

My fiancee came here half a dozen times or so over the few years we were together previous to her moving here permanently, but the only time she was hassled at the border was during her first ever visit.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Timeline

You can bring documents that will prove you will leave in 3 weeks, like an approved leave of absence from work and a return ticket. It really depends on the POE. There are those that typically hassle people that reveal their reason for visit is to visit a boyfriend/girlfriend (like Detroit). Look at the reviews for POEs so you can assess the harassment level at your planned POE. Good luck!

right now i'm studying and working i guess by november i be just working. Now a letter from the empleador how should it look like?i mean i live in sweden the letter will be in swedish? or do i make the empleador translate it? any other ties i can use? i i live with my friend the apartment is on her name i help her pay half but ny name is not in the contract, thanx for the reviews i will take a look at them good.gif

Filed: Timeline

be careful trying to be too 'clever' with stories about random friends you will be visiting....since you were questioned at length the last time, those notes are likely in the 'system', available for comparison should you start telling new tales about who you plan to visit, where you plan to stay....you can easily trip yourself up trying to evade the true answers...and then you will likely (a) be sent home and (b) lose your VWP privileges....

right now i'm studying and working i guess by november i be just working. Now a letter from the empleador how should it look like?i mean i live in sweden the letter will be in swedish? or do i make the empleador translate it? any other ties i can use? i i live with my friend the apartment is on her name i help her pay half but ny name is not in the contract, thanx for the reviews i will take a look at them good.gif

I visited my husband for years before I moved here too. In my experience, an approved leave of absence issued by my office stating the dates I am allowed to take off from work was enough to satisfy the IOs at POE. I do not think it has to be in some format as long as the dates covering your leaves of absence from your work are apparent on the document. I also always carried my return ticket/itinerary to show when I will be leaving, ready and on hand for the inspection of the IO.

Sein oder Nichtsein, das ist heir die Frage.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hej

Jag har varit med om det 1 gång av de 5 resor jag åkt inom loppet av ett år. Jätte läskigt och man blir super nervös. Det de frågade mig om var retur biljetten, hade glömt att printa ut den! Och hur mycket pengar jag hade på mitt konto, anknytningar till Sverige och massor frågor om min pojkvän. Den gången hade jag inga bevis med mig så efter det tar jag alltid med mig bankutdrag, anställnings avtal, hyresavtal och deklarationen.. Har ju aldrig blivit frågad efter det men bara om i fall att. Vad du än gör så ljug inte. Var helt ärlig och försök bevara lugnet. Svara endast på deras frågor och inte prata på. Dom gillar inte riktigt att man ska hälsa på sin pojkvän men var ärlig! Tyvärr är det ju så att dom har all makt, man får försöka tänka vilket ansvar dom har och att dom bara gör sitt jobb. Känns som varje gång jag åker är en chansning men bara att göra det. Det kommer säkert gå bra:)

Lycka till

2014-05-12: I 129f sent to Dallas lock box

2014-05-21: Noa1, application sent to California Service Center

2014-05-23: Alien registration number was change

2014-06-12: Noa2 by text and email (22 days)

2014-06-16: Noa 2 hardcopy

2014-07-03: E-mail from Embassy with package 3

2014-07-16: Medical exam

2014-08-14: visa interview

2014-08-14: RFE

2014-08-20: RFE sent

2014-09-14: RFE came back in mail

2014-09-25: RFE sent again

2014-10-07: Approved!!!

2014-10-09: visa in hand!

2014-11-13: Daughters crba and us passport in hand

2014-12-09: POE Phoenix

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hej

Jag har varit med om det 1 gång av de 5 resor jag åkt inom loppet av ett år. Jätte läskigt och man blir super nervös. Det de frågade mig om var retur biljetten, hade glömt att printa ut den! Och hur mycket pengar jag hade på mitt konto, anknytningar till Sverige och massor frågor om min pojkvän. Den gången hade jag inga bevis med mig så efter det tar jag alltid med mig bankutdrag, anställnings avtal, hyresavtal och deklarationen.. Har ju aldrig blivit frågad efter det men bara om i fall att. Vad du än gör så ljug inte. Var helt ärlig och försök bevara lugnet. Svara endast på deras frågor och inte prata på. Dom gillar inte riktigt att man ska hälsa på sin pojkvän men var ärlig! Tyvärr är det ju så att dom har all makt, man får försöka tänka vilket ansvar dom har och att dom bara gör sitt jobb. Känns som varje gång jag åker är en chansning men bara att göra det. Det kommer säkert gå bra:)

Lycka till

If you want to use a language other than English, please do so in the regional forums only or provide a translation. Translation from Google Translate below. Any future use of languages other than English without a translation in this thread will be removed.

Hi

I've been through this one time of the 5 trips I have gone in the space of one year. Really scary and it gets super nervous. There they asked me for was a return ticket, had forgotten to print it out! And how much money I had in my account, connections to Sweden and a lot questions about my boyfriend. That time, I had no proof with me so after that I always take with me bank statements, employment contracts, leases and return .. Have never been asked for it but only if in case. Whatever you do, so do not lie. Be completely honest and try to steer clear. Reply only to their questions and do not talk to. They do not really like that you should visit her boyfriend but was honest! Unfortunately it is a fact that they have all the power, you have to try to think what responsibility they have and they're just doing their job. Feels like every time I go is a gamble but just to do it. It will surely go well :)
Good luck

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Those of you traveling from non-English speaking countries - do you get all documentation translated? I'm planning on visiting my boyfriend for ~3 months this fall, and I've arranged for 3 months off work for this. I'll have a confirmation letter from my employer stating that I am on leave of absence and must be back at work at a certain date, and this I can get in English. However, my apartment lease is - obviously - in Norwegian. Should I bring both a copy of the lease in Norwegian and a translation (done by myself)?

Timeline

be careful trying to be too 'clever' with stories about random friends you will be visiting....since you were questioned at length the last time, those notes are likely in the 'system', available for comparison should you start telling new tales about who you plan to visit, where you plan to stay....you can easily trip yourself up trying to evade the true answers...and then you will likely (a) be sent home and (b) lose your VWP privileges....

i was just wondering which was best to do, last time i went i visited my family now my boyfriend they live in differents state do you mean this would give me problems?

Edited by zoom_

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.