Kwasi&Jenn

Enough evidence for the K1-Visa

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hey Everyone!

I am a student with a part time job and also a petitioner. I am new to this and recently found this site out from a friend. Long story short

I met my fiance years ago freshman year of high-school when I used to go to school in Ghana. I left a year later unexpectedly and lost contact with her. We recently got in contact with each other September of 2013 and have been talking ever since. I decided to go to Ghana to visit her December a few days after Christmas and stay with her until she had to go back to school which was mid January. We took the risk in trying to rekindle our relationship since we both had been in bad relationship ever since our departure and lost contact. I believe she is the one for many have told me it isn't worth the time and money. To much success we are dating now and I plan to bring her here to the U.S. to live with me. As of now I am a university student with a part time job as stated earlier. I know don't have a stable income and will be asking my mom to be the co-sponsor.

So far the only proof as evidence of our relationship is whats app messages dating from January, some Skype messages, my plane ticket for the visit and about 5-8 photos of my visit with her, we have been exchanging pictures over Whats app so can that be used? They are non explicit just to keep each other up to date on what we are doing. I pray this will be enough. have heard terrifying stories of being denied and having to pay for all the process again due to insufficient proof of a genuine relationship

I have heard the same terrifying stories. I know one of the biggest pieces of evidence are passport stamps from your entry and exit into the country.

Letters aren't great evidence, but at least they're some kind of proof, right? I know we're going to submit a letter from the pastor who will marry us; but the main thing is you submit letters from "officials" who've known you (At least from what I've read).

For example, my fiance and I met while we were studying too, in Hong Kong. Luckily the head of his program, the President of the school was also his advisor, so we asked him for a letter. We've also asked professors from the college in the States that sent me to HK and from other professors in HK. Anyone who has an official title looks good, from what I've read, but again, letters are "secondary" evidence and not as good as boarding pass stubs and passport stamps.

Do you have any receipts from hotels where you stayed? Or restaurants you ate at? Or even better; bank account transaction receipts (like from ATMs for example) while you were in her country? Also, if you used a debit card to buy the ticket or to pay for things while you were in Ghana, you can print the bank account records to show this.

One last question (and I hope this doesn't seem pushy): are you both engaged now/have you formally proposed? In Cambodia, we got a letter from my fiance's village saying that district officials recognize and respect our engagement (Even though we got engaged "American" style) Now, that is by no means important; but what is important is how you proposed, when and where. :)

Also, just wanted to say, you're in good company here on VJ. I'm fairly new to this process too, and this is an excellent community with an incredible amount of knowledge on all matters of this nature. When I get overwhelmed by the money aspect of our situation or by the sheer amount of opposition and barriers standing in our way, I remind myself that 1000s of people have been through this, some with waaay tougher situations than ours. You've got this! You can do it! :)

All that we are and all that will be we dedicate to the One who brought us together

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

Petition sent: 03/27/2014

Interview date!!! 10/06/2014

AOS:

Packet received at Chicago Lockbox: 2/2/2015

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

Green card received!! 09/24/2015

ROC: 

I-751 sent off to CSC: 7/25/2017

NOA1: 7/27/2017

Filed Inquiry into Biometrics status: 9/18/2017

10 Year Green Card Approved!!! 10/22/2018

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

Timeline

Than you for responding to my post.

I was unable to use my credit card in Ghana. We didn't stay in a hotel for she had family and I also had family there so we stayed with them the whole time I was there. Yes we are engaged, I proposed to her at a restaurant after our meal but we did not have a camera on us to take a picture. There were many factors that did not allow us to have evidence of each other other than our own eyes and some photos from our phone which we mostly left at home since that is where most our time was spent. I do have evidence that I bought the plane ticket but it is on my mothers credit card since I had misplaced mine at the time. There were many ups and downs.

I totally know what you mean. When we first met, I had no idea how much evidence was needed, so I wasn't keeping all of our receipts. Thus, we have almost no evidence from our time together in HK other than pictures.

Congratulations on getting engaged!!! What a beautiful proposal!!!

I say scour your records for information, follow the VJ guides, and when you get everything printed and copied, take everything to a low-income charity immigration attorney, like Catholic Charities. (I say low-income because I am a student too, and I know how tough it can be to afford the big attorneys on a student budget; I've looked at their prices. yeesh) At least, that is what I hope to do.

Either that or start researching other couples from Ghana online and how they did the process. That is how I found out about the plethora of Cambodia-American couples in my area and others who've been through very similar processes. Just remember, you're not alone. :)

All that we are and all that will be we dedicate to the One who brought us together

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

Petition sent: 03/27/2014

Interview date!!! 10/06/2014

AOS:

Packet received at Chicago Lockbox: 2/2/2015

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

Green card received!! 09/24/2015

ROC: 

I-751 sent off to CSC: 7/25/2017

NOA1: 7/27/2017

Filed Inquiry into Biometrics status: 9/18/2017

10 Year Green Card Approved!!! 10/22/2018

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Than you for responding to my post.

I was unable to use my credit card in Ghana. We didn't stay in a hotel for she had family and I also had family there so we stayed with them the whole time I was there. Yes we are engaged, I proposed to her at a restaurant after our meal but we did not have a camera on us to take a picture. There were many factors that did not allow us to have evidence of each other other than our own eyes and some photos from our phone which we mostly left at home since that is where most our time was spent. I do have evidence that I bought the plane ticket but it is on my mothers credit card since I had misplaced mine at the time. There were many ups and downs.

You have a bit of evidence- since you haven't applied will there be an opportunity for you to go back either before the interview for another visit or go for the interview?

For the petition you have enough to apply- showing you have physical met within 2 years.

For the interview you will need more. Save your convos from now on which will show the on-going relationship that they will bring to the interview.

There are a few of us who were university students or recent graduates that went through Accra and did fine. My self and another couple recently.

I don't see what a lawyer will do for you- save your money unless there is something you have not told us that will be a red-flag, but from what you said there isn't too much to be worried about.

Timeline

You have a bit of evidence- since you haven't applied will there be an opportunity for you to go back either before the interview for another visit or go for the interview?

For the petition you have enough to apply- showing you have physical met within 2 years.

For the interview you will need more. Save your convos from now on which will show the on-going relationship that they will bring to the interview.

There are a few of us who were university students or recent graduates that went through Accra and did fine. My self and another couple recently.

I don't see what a lawyer will do for you- save your money unless there is something you have not told us that will be a red-flag, but from what you said there isn't too much to be worried about.

Thank You very much, I was alitle worried about how I was going to show evidence. I was planning on going to her graduation next year and returning with her back to the U.S. if that is possible. i have pages of conversation because we practically chat everyday along with the phone records which cost me quiet abit so might stop talking for awhile ore regulate our minutes. I want to try and avoid getting a lawyer because most of this seems easy if you read carefully and ask for help from experienced people who have been through this. Thank you once again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.