AndyMisiu

IMBRA strikes again at Interview!!

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

There we were, Ania and I sitting in the waiting room for her number to be called. I was trying to keep her cool while noticing that one of the three CO's was quick, thorough, interrogative, cold, and didn't seem to give people the time of day. I kept Ania cool as we saw her (damnit) pick up Ania's file and start to thumb through the file. I noticed that she was spending a lot of time looking through my conviction information that I sent to comply with IMBRA. I started to sweat a little as I watched the interviewer scratch her head and look confused. "What's taking her so long" Ania asked, "I don't know sweetheart but everything is ok" I replied.

Then her number appeared at the window calling for us to step up for her interview. The CO had Ania raise her right hand and swear to tell the truth. Then she asked "have you been to any other country for longer than 6 months?" Ania replied no, then the CO asked "when did you meet each other?" Ania gave her answer, then she turned to me and said "and you've been to Poland a couple of times, correct?" I replied yes. She said "ok".

I started to joke with the CO a little "hey you've got a lot of papers there huh? all about me it looks like" we all laughed as the CO said "yeah mostly about you". I than said we have more documents and supporting information if you would like to see them, she replied "documents are not the issue at this point" hmm.. what's that supposed to mean?

I then watched her staple a blue piece of paper to the front of the file and walk away. I leaned up in the window to get a look at what the paper said "Refusal Work Sheet" I was really, really worried at this point, turned to Ania and said "things don't look good sweetheart" Ania said "please don't scare me right now".

The CO returned with a big smile on her face and said "ok, her's the problem", then she explained "Everything is ok with the visa and you are approved, but I can't issue the visa today. There is a new program, a very new program designed to protect woman against violent men and inform them of any past convictions that your fiancee might have. It's meant for people who haven't known eachother for so long and enables the beneficiary to better know who there getting involved with" She said "the law is more for violent offenders but some minor things got wrapped up in the law such as your drinking and driving offences". She asked "that's all that you have, correct" I replied yes. Then the CO said "the problem is you are the first case we've had like this and we don't know the procedure for informing the beneficiary" she added "it's good that you (Andy) are here with your fiancee and that we've all talked about it" she then asked "your (Ania) aware of all his convictions with the drinking and driving and both have talked about this, right?" Ania replied "yes, we've been through a lot of this together".

Then the CO said she would need to contact Washington to find what there procedure would be for informing the beneficiary. Whether the verbal conversation we had at the interview would be ok or if there was something is writing that needed to be done. She said it was good that we were all there together and that the CO witnessed Ania acknowledge she was aware of everything. The CO said that everything is a go with the documentation and the visa but she just needs to clear things with Washington. The CO then started to put together all of the visa paperwork, had Ania sign the DHL mailing paper, took her passport, and said they would mail the passport back with the visa inside after they here from Washington. She said it should only take a couple of days to clear things with Washington.

I then asked "so we can feel happy walking away from here today?" she replied yes "it's just a technical thing, not a documentation issue. The visa is approved, we just need to make sure we're doing things right" I then said "ok, because you had me a little worried with the blue paper on the front of the file (Refusal Work Shet" she said "oh, no that's ok, it's just procedure because we couldn't issue the visa today, I have to write what the next steps are, everything is fine". she said "it's really a good thing that your here today and this shouldn't be a problem with Washington, give us a call on Monday and check the status, we should have things cleared up by then"

So Ania and I walked away feeling confused and a little worried that maybe she was just being nice. So you know me!!! I called the Embassy 5 hours later to check the status. The lady who answered the phone said "there is no problem with the visa, it's not a documentation issue, it's a technical issue that needs to be cleared with Washington. Your visa should be mailed to you shortly, check back in a couple of days". We felt better after hearing it from another person that the visa had been approved!!

Well, to make a long story short. The Embassy's are still in the dark on how to implement the IMBRA law and how to inform the beneficiary. So IMBRA has truck again and is holding things up still. I will put our entire experience on the site when Ania has her visa in hand. Thanks for all of your support and I will tell you IMBRA folks how things go!!

06/30/06- sent I-129F petition to VSC.

07/11/06- NOA1 (received in mail)

07/19/06- RFE received in mail, IMBRA

07/28/06- e-mail, IMBRA RFE received at VSC

09/11/06- called VSC, told I'm with an adjudicating officer

09/25/06- called VSC, told to file expedited service, outside 60 days of RFE received date

09/26/06- sent expedited service request to VSC via fax and snail mail

09/26/06- Senators and Congressman making inquiries into my petition

09/29/06- expedited service request approved by VSC director

10/04/06- e-mail NOA2 approved!!!!!!

10/05/06- NVC received

10/06/06- NVC forwarded to Poland Embassy

10/16/06- Packet #3 received

10/17/06- Packet #3 sent to US Embassy Warsaw

10/30/06- Packet #4 received

10/30/06- Interview scheduled for November 22nd!!!

11/30/06- Visa in hand, via DHL!!!!

12/05/06- Ania and I arrive together in the USA

02/11/07- Ania applied for Social Security Card

02/17/07- Ania and I were MARRIED!!!!!!

07/24/07- Social Security Card in hand- after some minor issues and a little procrastination :)

10/14/07- I-485, I-765, and permission to travel mailed to USCIS

10/17/07- Received NOA1

12/17/07- I-485 shipped to California Service Center for faster service

12/17/07- I-765 approved new card should be mailed within 30 days, Advanced parole approved

02/28/08- AOS APPROVED!!!! PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECEIVED!!!!! (card received couple weeks after approval)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
There we were, Ania and I sitting in the waiting room for her number to be called. I was trying to keep her cool while noticing that one of the three CO's was quick, thorough, interrogative, cold, and didn't seem to give people the time of day. I kept Ania cool as we saw her (damnit) pick up Ania's file and start to thumb through the file. I noticed that she was spending a lot of time looking through my conviction information that I sent to comply with IMBRA. I started to sweat a little as I watched the interviewer scratch her head and look confused. "What's taking her so long" Ania asked, "I don't know sweetheart but everything is ok" I replied.

Then her number appeared at the window calling for us to step up for her interview. The CO had Ania raise her right hand and swear to tell the truth. Then she asked "have you been to any other country for longer than 6 months?" Ania replied no, then the CO asked "when did you meet each other?" Ania gave her answer, then she turned to me and said "and you've been to Poland a couple of times, correct?" I replied yes. She said "ok".

I started to joke with the CO a little "hey you've got a lot of papers there huh? all about me it looks like" we all laughed as the CO said "yeah mostly about you". I than said we have more documents and supporting information if you would like to see them, she replied "documents are not the issue at this point" hmm.. what's that supposed to mean?

I then watched her staple a blue piece of paper to the front of the file and walk away. I leaned up in the window to get a look at what the paper said "Refusal Work Sheet" I was really, really worried at this point, turned to Ania and said "things don't look good sweetheart" Ania said "please don't scare me right now".

The CO returned with a big smile on her face and said "ok, her's the problem", then she explained "Everything is ok with the visa and you are approved, but I can't issue the visa today. There is a new program, a very new program designed to protect woman against violent men and inform them of any past convictions that your fiancee might have. It's meant for people who haven't known eachother for so long and enables the beneficiary to better know who there getting involved with" She said "the law is more for violent offenders but some minor things got wrapped up in the law such as your drinking and driving offences". She asked "that's all that you have, correct" I replied yes. Then the CO said "the problem is you are the first case we've had like this and we don't know the procedure for informing the beneficiary" she added "it's good that you (Andy) are here with your fiancee and that we've all talked about it" she then asked "your (Ania) aware of all his convictions with the drinking and driving and both have talked about this, right?" Ania replied "yes, we've been through a lot of this together".

Then the CO said she would need to contact Washington to find what there procedure would be for informing the beneficiary. Whether the verbal conversation we had at the interview would be ok or if there was something is writing that needed to be done. She said it was good that we were all there together and that the CO witnessed Ania acknowledge she was aware of everything. The CO said that everything is a go with the documentation and the visa but she just needs to clear things with Washington. The CO then started to put together all of the visa paperwork, had Ania sign the DHL mailing paper, took her passport, and said they would mail the passport back with the visa inside after they here from Washington. She said it should only take a couple of days to clear things with Washington.

I then asked "so we can feel happy walking away from here today?" she replied yes "it's just a technical thing, not a documentation issue. The visa is approved, we just need to make sure we're doing things right" I then said "ok, because you had me a little worried with the blue paper on the front of the file (Refusal Work Shet" she said "oh, no that's ok, it's just procedure because we couldn't issue the visa today, I have to write what the next steps are, everything is fine". she said "it's really a good thing that your here today and this shouldn't be a problem with Washington, give us a call on Monday and check the status, we should have things cleared up by then"

So Ania and I walked away feeling confused and a little worried that maybe she was just being nice. So you know me!!! I called the Embassy 5 hours later to check the status. The lady who answered the phone said "there is no problem with the visa, it's not a documentation issue, it's a technical issue that needs to be cleared with Washington. Your visa should be mailed to you shortly, check back in a couple of days". We felt better after hearing it from another person that the visa had been approved!!

Well, to make a long story short. The Embassy's are still in the dark on how to implement the IMBRA law and how to inform the beneficiary. So IMBRA has truck again and is holding things up still. I will put our entire experience on the site when Ania has her visa in hand. Thanks for all of your support and I will tell you IMBRA folks how things go!!

I will say Congrats and I am sorry you had to be the beta test case for Warsaw but I do hope all clears as promised.

YMMV

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It IS still good news Andy so don't worry too much. You ARE approved, that's the main thing. You'll have to wait a little bit longer...but it'll be worth it in the end. Just don't get too stressed during the wait for the visa (been there, done that! :lol: ).

Timeline

Thanks for your replies. The only thing that might have me a little worried is the fact that I don't even think Washington know's what the procedure is. I don't think they've even made one yet or come even close to finishing the hand books that were talked about. I think all there supposed to do is mail the information given by the petitioner along with any other information they may have found.

I've also heard rumors of a pre-informative interview with time given for the beneficiary to think things over and be sure. I also heard that they would just go over the information at the interview.

So, who really know's what the procedure is. I think that's why the CO was glad to see me at the interview and wittiness that Ania knew everything. Plus I wrote a supplement for each conviction explaining everything to whom it may concern. Plus a copy of each supplement addressed to Ania explaining everything to her if the USCIS felt the need to mail the information.

I think they'll just contact Washington, tell them that I was at the interview and the CO witnessed Ania being informed of the information. Is it ok to issue the visa? then they will mail it. She said my convictions were minor and it shouldn't be a big deal or problem.

So, I hope evertyhing will be cleared up and have the visa by next week. Warsaw is very good and fast and it's just a phone call. I hope!!

Weird.

Andy, what time of day was it in Warsaw when you interviewed relative to the time in Washington?

It was 10:00am in Warsaw, that makes it 4:00am in Washington

Edited by AndyMisiu

09/25/06- called VSC, told to file expedited service, outside 60 days of RFE received date

10/05/06- NVC received

07/24/07- Social Security Card in hand- after some minor issues and a little procrastination :)

10/17/07- Received NOA1

12/17/07- I-765 approved new card should be mailed within 30 days, Advanced parole approved

02/28/08- AOS APPROVED!!!! PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECEIVED!!!!! (card received couple weeks after approval)

Filed: Other Timeline

Weird.

Andy, what time of day was it in Warsaw when you interviewed relative to the time in Washington?

Ah. Which means there was no one they could phone at the time you were there......

Timeline
Weird.

Warsaw is +6 from Washington. This just goes to show that the consulate does not do much advance preparation time on the files before the interview, because one would have thought that if they had seen it even a day before they arrived they could have called then for proper procedure. Now with today being a holiday and Friday being a half-@ssed work day, it might be Monday before they get an answer.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Weird.

Warsaw is +6 from Washington. This just goes to show that the consulate does not do much advance preparation time on the files before the interview, because one would have thought that if they had seen it even a daybefore they arrived they could have called then for proper procedure. Now with today being a holiday and Friday being a half-@ssed work day, it might be Monday before they get an answer.

I'm thinking they resolved it yesterday.

Timeline

Weird.

Ah. Which means there was no one they could phone at the time you were there......

Correct, I double checked and asked about 8 times if everything was ok with the visa. The CO and the lady on the phone at the Embassy assured us it was. Plus they took her passport.

I just hope they don't do something crazy, like wait for a procedure to be made, mail it back to USCIS as a mistaken recall, or something like that.

But since it's Warsaw and there pretty good, I have faith everything will be taken care of in a timely fashion. I even told the CO that we bought plane tickets for the 5th of december. She said it should be cleared up by then and even said after that, that they have to clear it up by then. The CO turned out to be really nice!! but we all know they don't HAVE to do anything.

Weird.

Warsaw is +6 from Washington. This just goes to show that the consulate does not do much advance preparation time on the files before the interview, because one would have thought that if they had seen it even a day before they arrived they could have called then for proper procedure. Now with today being a holiday and Friday being a half-@ssed work day, it might be Monday before they get an answer.

right, the CO didn't even look at the file until it was infront of her Wednesday morning. They take about 15 to 20 minutes to review each case, get there questions ready, and then call you to the window.

10/05/06- NVC received

10/17/07- Received NOA1

Timeline

Weird.

Warsaw is +6 from Washington. This just goes to show that the consulate does not do much advance preparation time on the files before the interview, because one would have thought that if they had seen it even a daybefore they arrived they could have called then for proper procedure. Now with today being a holiday and Friday being a half-@ssed work day, it might be Monday before they get an answer.

Warsaw always has had a good reputation, so I would hope so.

YMMV

Timeline

Weird.

I think so too, or at least by Friday. The lady on the phone at the Embassy said if they didn't take care of it tonight, probably on Friday because Thursday is a holiday. She said to call on Monday. Everything should be cool.

Edited by AndyMisiu

10/05/06- NVC received

10/17/07- Received NOA1

This just goes to show that the consulate does not do much advance preparation time on the files before the interview, because one would have thought that if they had seen it even a day before they arrived they could have called then for proper procedure.

It's sheer numbers. There are FAR more people immigrating to the US than any other country in the world. The volume of petitions is what causes delays start to finish. Which is why comparing the processing of immigration nation-to-nation (as happens in the UK forums frequently) is pointless.

I even told the CO that we bought plane tickets for the 5th of december.

Oh #######.

Well we had done the same thing.

Andy, I think it's all going to turn out, but as I like to hedge my bets, if I were you I'd phone to see how much it might be to change the tickets in case the holidays do cause a hold-up.

CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming visa approval!!!!!!!! :dance::dance::dance:

****Removal of Conditions ****

7/13/09 Sent I-751 application VSC

7/16/09 Package arrived at VSC at 2:08pm signed by D. Renaud

7/24/09 Rcvd I-797C, NOA from VSC

7/29/09 Rcvd Biometric letter...biometrics appt 8/18/09

11/24/09 Rcvd ROC approval ltr...dated 11/18/09

12/04/09 Rcvd 10 yr Green Card in mail

Timeline

This just goes to show that the consulate does not do much advance preparation time on the files before the interview, because one would have thought that if they had seen it even a day before they arrived they could have called then for proper procedure.

It's sheer numbers. There are FAR more people immigrating to the US than any other country in the world. The volume of petitions is what causes delays start to finish. Which is why comparing the processing of immigration nation-to-nation (as happens in the UK forums frequently) is pointless.

Oh #######.

Andy, I think it's all going to turn out, but as I like to hedge my bets, if I were you I'd phone to see how much it might be to change the tickets in case the holidays do cause a hold-up.

I've already had to do it twice in this trip!! it's $200.00 each time!! boo!!! now I would have to do it for two tickets!! I hope we get it before we have to change the tickets!! I think it should be ok

Oh #######.

I've already had to do it twice in this trip!! it's $200.00 each time!! boo!!! now I would have to do it for two tickets!! I hope we get it before we have to change the tickets!! I think it should be ok

10/05/06- NVC received

10/17/07- Received NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Andy,

we hope to hear good news from you soon. I am going to have the interview on December 20, even if I have known Robert's conviction, but it makes me worried a little bit.

Good luck to both of you

Littleone and Robert

Robert (U.S.A.)------^--^------Waenphetch (Thailand)

September 27' 2005 -------------------------(Met online)

May 16' 2006---------- (Mailed application from Chiangmai, Thailand) to NSC

June 9' 2006--------- (NOA 1 Receipt date) ---CSC----

September 7' 2006------------(NOA 2 Receipt date)

December 20' 2006 (7 a.m.) -----------INTERVIEW Approved IMBRA discussed[/color]

December 24' 2006 ---------- POE - LA

December 26' 2006 ------------ Civil Marriage

December 28' 2006 ------------ Applied for SSN

January' 19' 2007 ------------- SSN Received

AOS Chicago

December 29' 2006 ----------- Mailed I-485

January' 5' 2007 -------------- NOA Receipt date (MSC)

January' 23' 2007 ------------ I-485 Transferred to CSC

January 26' 2007 ------------ Biometric done

February 7' 2007 ------------ Case pending at CSC

October 19, 2007 ------------ Approved email from CRIS (welcome notice sent on Oct 18)

March 14, 2007 ------------ Mailed I - 765

May 4, 2007 ----------- I-765 approved

May 30, 2007 ----------- got a great job at www.swipeclock.com as an Accountant

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.