BigAussieZee

FAQ - The Layman's Guide to Updating Application Status Threads

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

So, you've finally submitted your application (N-400, I-751, etc.) to the USCIS and you want to participate and tell all the other members on VJ about your journey and processing timeline. You've read the brief instructions at the beginning of the thread (and also included on each repost or update), and followed them as best you can, but once you submit your post it doesn't quiet look right, or is a jumbled mess?? I feel your pain, but worry no longer...

...here is my step-by-step guide with screen shots and detailed info to help make you a VJ formatting pro! Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

First, you need to make sure that you have your default editor set as "Rich Text Editor" and NOT "Standard Editor". To do this you need to log in to your account and then follow the following prompts. The numbers in the image correspond to the steps below:

1. Click on the "My Controls" link (located close to the top right hand corner of the screen)

2. Once in your control panel you need to click on the "Board Settings" link (located on the left side panel under Options)

3. Now under the Posting Settings you need to click on the drop down menu and make sure that "Rich Text Editor" is selected

4. To confirm the change you should now click "Change my Account Options"

-end

RichText.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, now that you have the main setting part out of the way you're half way there. Next is actually updating or starting a monthly application thread. It seems that a standard has developed all on its own and has been tweaked from time-to-time, and now we have a generic template that can simply be cut and pasted as the first post to the thread for each new month's applicants. (template is attached as a .txt file, open it and cut and paste as needed).

This standard layout separates the applicants into three groups by using the "Lockbox" location that you sent your application to. You should add your name and updates under the category that is applicable to you (either Texas, Arizona, or Nebraska). The format for the updates is the same regardless of which category you are in.

UserName............Sent.....ChkCashd...NOA.....Fprints...Int Ltr...Intview...Oath......FieldOffice

Example...........--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..City, ST

Seeing as most people will not be starting the monthly thread themselves I'll focus more on how to add/update a person to/on the list.

Once you're in the correct monthly thread/topic (lets say your filed your N-400 in January 2010, you'd locate the thread/topic called "N-400 January 2010 Applicants"), you should find the most recently update list and then you want to click the box in the bottom right-hand corner of the post the says "REPLY"

Reply.jpg

This automatically takes you to a reply screen. The first thing that you want to do here is Delete the "Quote" coding at the top and bottom of the list. See the following two screen shots for an example.

Delete the top Quote code (the section highlighted in red), just click at the end and backspace until its gone.

DeleteQ1.jpg

And now do the same to delete the quote code at the bottom of the post (example is highlighted in red in the screen-shot below)

DeleteQ2.jpg

Ok, so that takes care of the deleting part. Now, lets move on the updating and adding part.

You want to make sure that any changes you make to the list are done in the font type "Courier New" and with a font size of "2". The reason for using Courier New is that it has equal spacing between all characters so regardless of what you type the same amount of pixels are used for each letter, number, or other character. So typing ten z's (z) is the same as typing then eights (8) or ten periods (.)

zzzzzzzzzz

So we are basically making a table format without using coding for a table or spreadsheet.

The easiest way to make sure you have the right font type and size is just to use the same font for everything in the post, the quickest way to do this is change every all at once. To do this simply click anywhere inside the list and on your keyboard HOLD the "Ctrl" key and then whilst holding the Ctrl key press the "A" key. This will select all the text inside the post. Now that everything is selected you need to adjust the font type and size, to do this just click the font type drop down list and select "Courier New", and then the same for font size selecting "2". Examples are in the screen shots below:

CourierNew.jpg

and

size2.jpg

You can also do this after you have made your updates, but before clicking "Add Reply".

So lets say that you want to add your name to the list, there might already be other names on the list that you want to post to or there may not, but there should at least be the example line to help you. I would suggest highlighting this whole line of text and making a copy of it directly below the last name on the list and then edit accordingly. To do this all you have to do is click right in front of the "E" of the Example and then HOLD the "Shift" key and PRESS the "End" key. This should highlight the entire row of text. The next step is to copy the text, to do this just HOLD the "Ctrl" key and PRESS the "C" key. Now to paste a copy of this text you will want to start a new line, just click at the end of the highlighted row (making sure that when you click the row is no longer highlight and that your cursor is at the end of the "T" is "City, ST", and then PRESS Enter. Now you'll be on a new line, to paste the copied text just HOLD the "Ctrl" key and PRESS the "V" key once.

You'll end up with something like this:

Example...........--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..City, ST

or if you were adding to the end of the list, something like:

Fu&Laur...........02/11/10..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..Dallas, TX

hp8710w...........02/11/10..02/18/10..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..San Antonio, TX

a&o...............02/15/10..02/19/10..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..Jacksonville, FL

Now simply write your username in place of "Example", for instance we'll use mine:

BigAussieZee...........--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..City, ST

You'll notice that the formatting is now off somewhat and the --/--/-- begins a little too far to the right. This is where using Courier New comes in handy, to even everything up just click at the end of your username and press the "DELETE" key until the --/--/-- (or actual date 02/19/2010) is equal with the one above.

after pressing "Delete" three times (we're almost there)

BigAussieZee........--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..City, ST

and after pressing "Delete" two more times its even.

BigAussieZee......--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..City, ST

Now to change the dates just replace the "--" with the two digit month, day, and year, that is applicable.

So if I mailed/sent my N-400 in today it would read:

BigAussieZee......02/19/10..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..--/--/--..City, ST

*Note that between each date column there is a seperator of two periods "..", please make sure that you only use two (no more or no less) as this will throw out the formatting. Similarly you should also stick to a 6 number date with MM/DD/YY, i.e. 01/01/10 and no other variation such as 1/1/2010 or 1/15/10.

That about completes the tutorial on the formatting and editing side. If you're familiar with computers (or have any HTML knowledge) you're probably falling asleep and found that quiet painful, but my hope is that for the average-Joe making updates now will be a little easier.

One final thing I wanted to touch on was the short-hand notation that is used for the updates, this is a key that I've posted a few times before that should be helpful:

KEY:

UserName - Your Visa Journey "User Name"

Sent - Date you mailed in your N400 Application

ChkCashd - Date your check was cashed

NOA - Date that the "Notice of Action - NOA" was issued

Fprint - Date of Finger Print / Biometrics Appointment

Int Ltr - Date Interview Letter was issued

Intview - Date of Interview

Oath - Date of Oath Ceremony

FieldOffice - Your Local Field Office where your application (should) be sent for review. If you dont know your Local Field Office you can find out by visiting the USCIS's website by CLICKING HERE or navigating to the "Local Office Locator" on the site.

Good luck to everyone on their Journey, may you all have swift process without any delays. I'm getting towards the final stages of my Immigration Journey now and cant wait to be a United States Citizen! ;)

template.txt

Edited by BigAussieZee

N-400 NATURALIZATION TIMELINE

11/02/09 - Sent App. via USPS Priority Mail (+Cert. Mail Rcpt. & Return Rcpt)

11/06/09 - Check Cashed

11/06/09 - NOA Date

11/12/09 - NOA Rec'd

11/21/09 - Biometrics Appt. Letter Rec'd

12/01/09 - Biometrics Appt. @ 12:00 PM

12/04/09 - CFR Notice (Yellow Letter). Postmarked 12/07/09. Rec'd 12/11/09

02/04/10 - Rec'd Email that case was sent for "Standard Review"

02/08/10 - Interview Letter Appointment Rec'd (sent 02/03/10)

03/11/10 - Interview Date - Federal Plaza (passed)

03/11/10 - Oath Appt. Letter Rec'd (same day as oath)

04/16/10 - Oath Ceremony Date (Brooklyn)

Total Processing Time: 165 DAYS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The blank monthly template can be used by opening the .txt file attachment in this post. Simpy copy & paste the contents into a new topic and name accordingly.

template.txt

N-400 NATURALIZATION TIMELINE

11/02/09 - Sent App. via USPS Priority Mail (+Cert. Mail Rcpt. & Return Rcpt)

11/06/09 - Check Cashed

11/06/09 - NOA Date

11/12/09 - NOA Rec'd

11/21/09 - Biometrics Appt. Letter Rec'd

12/01/09 - Biometrics Appt. @ 12:00 PM

12/04/09 - CFR Notice (Yellow Letter). Postmarked 12/07/09. Rec'd 12/11/09

02/04/10 - Rec'd Email that case was sent for "Standard Review"

02/08/10 - Interview Letter Appointment Rec'd (sent 02/03/10)

03/11/10 - Interview Date - Federal Plaza (passed)

03/11/10 - Oath Appt. Letter Rec'd (same day as oath)

04/16/10 - Oath Ceremony Date (Brooklyn)

Total Processing Time: 165 DAYS

Filed: Other Timeline

BigAussieZee-Thanks for creating this "detailed" instruction sheet for N-400 Application Status Threads!.... :thumbs:

Looks a bit technical (but then again, it could just be the font) to me when you write it out "step by step" like this..

But I know what you mean there, as I've "been there, done that"...And it seems automatic to me...lol....

Lol...By any chance, are you a computer programer by day? :lol:

Where do you find the time to do all this list-making here on VJ? :blink:

Seriously....You should write "how to" computer manuals...I loved the "screen shots" that you used in your instructions too!

You do such a great job organizing lists and stuff here on VJ! Keep up the great work and list updates! ... :star:

Ant

P.S. Did you update the N-400 2009 all filers thread recently? As well, are you going to start a similar N-400 2010 filers thread too?

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bahamas
Timeline

Thanks so much BigAussieZee. This is great. I was having some problems figuring it out myself :) Great job.

751- Removing Conditions- VSC

NOA Received 2-17-09

Check cashed 2-18-09

Bio Taken 3-18-09

551 Stamp 4-16-09

Approved 6-18-09

App Email 7-01-09

Card Received 7-02-09

N-400

Sent to TX 2-03-10

NOA Received 2-08-10

NOA Date 2-09-10

Check cashed 2-10-10

Finger print 3-11-10 early walk in

Finger print 3-17-10 originally scheduled

Letter rec 5-08-10

Int date 6-09-10

Oath date 6-09-10

I AM A US CITIZEN!!!!!!!

• 11 months later...

Ricardo4eva2..Is this what your looking for?

Follow Instructions...hit Reply and edit the way you want with names/times ect.

Don't forget to delete "Quote coding at the top and bottom.

After you edit your list press preveiw to make sure it looks correct

Hope this helps you

Nigel

Instructions for adding/updating yourself (or assisting others) to this list:

1. DO NOT DELETE THESE INSTRUCTIONS.

2. Please make sure you are using Rich Text Editor as your message setting.

3. Click "Reply" on the most recent/updated posting version of this list.

4. Remove the "Quote Coding" at the top and bottom of the list.

5. Always use [Courier New] Font and font size [2]

**For more detailed instructions with screen-shots "CLICK HERE"**

=========================================================================

I-130: DEC/JAN/FEB 2010/11 Applicants

=========================================================================

==========================================================================

UserName.........|Sent.....|NOA1.....|RFE?.....|NOA2.....|Service Center.|

==========================================================================

Sample Name......|--/--/--.|--/--/--.|--/--/--.|--/--/--.|Sample City....|

Sample Name......|--/--/--.|--/--/--.|--/--/--.|--/--/--.|Sample city....|

Edited by nigel

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.