13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I need some advise/assistance. my K-1 Fiance entered the US and we went and got her a social security card in her maiden name. After we had the SS card we got married within the 90 days. When we went back to the social security office they denied changing her name because they said her I-94 was about to expire. Soon after i had to move to another state because of my job. We did not notify anyone that we were moving. I called and talked with info pass and they told me that my wife was out of Status and could not be deported because we had legally gotten married within the 90 days. Moving expences along with unforseen medical bills caused us to have to put off the process further. I am now finally in a financial position to complete the process of the AOS.

Now that i have had time to do some more research i am in fear that I have made some mistakes and need to correct them. What steps do i need to take to get this headed down the right path?

She could be deported - ICE doesn't care if you got married.

anyway - file for the AOS ASAP - like start today. You should also update your/hers address - use the I-865 and the AR-11 (both on uscis.gov)

:guides:

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

StateSide,

Just a suggestion - include a copy of the change of address forms with the AOS packet to show that you are sending them, even though they are late. I sent my husband's change of address last year when we moved, but didn't realize I had to send one for myself. I found out about it as I was assembling my ROC packet. I quickly sent out the change of address form (with apologetic cover letter) that day, and finished the ROC packet to send the next day - and included a cover letter explaining why I sent the change of address form late, a copy of the change of address form, and even copies of the mailing receipt for good measure. I figured it can't hurt.

As far as the social security office, I can't figure out why they didn't let her get a new card with her new name.... I hope someone else can help you with that one. My SO got his card before the wedding, too, but he didn't have to worry about changing his name...

Good luck!

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

anyway - file for the AOS ASAP - like start today. You should also update your/hers address - use the I-865 and the AR-11 (both on uscis.gov)

As long as you have married your SO within the 90 days, deportation is not an option. You may be out of status, BUT you are not here illegally. There have been others on visajourney who can vouch for this as well. You should file for AOS as soon as you can, but deportation is not something you need to worry about if the I-94 has expired. You do want your new wife to be able to visit her home country though, and AOS is necessary for her to be able to see her family. Updating the address should be done quickly as well though because USCIS should be able to contact you if need be. :-) Hope that helps

We met in October 2007 and our immigration journey started in July 2008 when we filed for the I-129F Fiance Visa petition. 

~05/16/2009~ MARRIED!!!!

~08/31/2011~ OUR SON WAS BORN!!!!

~02/17/2012~ Mailed I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions of Residency to Vermont Service Center

~03/19/2012~ ASC Biometrics Appointment

~11/05/2012~ Production of 10-year GC ordered

~7/1/2014~ Our son's first trip to Morocco

~03/17/2018~ Filed N-400

~04/09/2018~ Biometrics

~6/13/2018~ Off to Morocco, my parents in tow!

~10/23/2018~ Interview, approved

~11/7/2018~ Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

As long as you have married your SO within the 90 days, deportation is not an option. You may be out of status, BUT you are not here illegally. There have been others on visajourney who can vouch for this as well. You should file for AOS as soon as you can, but deportation is not something you need to worry about if the I-94 has expired. You do want your new wife to be able to visit her home country though, and AOS is necessary for her to be able to see her family. Updating the address should be done quickly as well though because USCIS should be able to contact you if need be. :-) Hope that helps

Without the I-485 having been submitted there is NO protection to the alien... and they are indeed out of status and subject to deportation if discovered. Simply being married to a USC (timely or not) is not enough.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you get married within 90 Days and apply for AOS with expired I-94 It will be fine. With ICE, they can take you to the Immi dept if found you are out of status and didn't apply For AOS, but they can't deport you without Judge decision. and if she or he likely to go before the judge and show their NOA, their case will be dropped right away. There is %O chances of deportation unless you do any severe crime or you become a risk for national security

There are some ppl here on VJ who had the same case but they are now in process of AOS gettin' approved.

AOS Transferred to CSC.......................August 4th 2009

AP/EAD Approval Notice appeared....August 21st 2009

AP/EAD received in mails.................... 08/27/09, 08/31/09

AOS at CSC.............................................Pending

If you get married within 90 Days and apply for AOS with expired I-94 It will be fine. With ICE, they can take you to the Immi dept if found you are out of status and didn't apply For AOS, but they can't deport you without Judge decision. and if she or he likely to go before the judge and show their NOA, their case will be dropped right away. There is %O chances of deportation unless you do any severe crime or you become a risk for national security

There are some ppl here on VJ who had the same case but they are now in process of AOS gettin' approved.

That's the thing. They didn't file for the AOS, they do not have the NOA, so they are not safe from ICE. Key words here are "could be".

Yes, they would have to go through all the hoops if they get caught up by ICE, bail, time spent proving, etc, and they do have a slight chance of getting deported. I wouldn't say it's zero (0) percent. Everyones case is different.

So, again, file the AOS asap and then your "legally safe", prior to that, out of status, your at the mercy of the IJ/ICE. Do you really want to chance it?

(several posts on this board of run-ins like this, not a good place to be)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well Said!

That's the thing. They didn't file for the AOS, they do not have the NOA, so they are not safe from ICE. Key words here are "could be".

Yes, they would have to go through all the hoops if they get caught up by ICE, bail, time spent proving, etc, and they do have a slight chance of getting deported. I wouldn't say it's zero (0) percent. Everyones case is different.

So, again, file the AOS asap and then your "legally safe", prior to that, out of status, your at the mercy of the IJ/ICE. Do you really want to chance it?

(several posts on this board of run-ins like this, not a good place to be)

AOS Transferred to CSC.......................August 4th 2009

AP/EAD Approval Notice appeared....August 21st 2009

AP/EAD received in mails.................... 08/27/09, 08/31/09

AOS at CSC.............................................Pending

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi

I came in as a tourist and got married to a citizen in feb 09. We filed AOS and I-130, and received the appointment for biometrics but we were worried on the I-94 that is about to expire before the biometrics appointment. Do we need to request for an extension to stay here?

Thank you

Hi

I came in as a tourist and got married to a citizen in feb 09. We filed AOS and I-130, and received the appointment for biometrics but we were worried on the I-94 that is about to expire before the biometrics appointment. Do we need to request for an extension to stay here?

Thank you

If you have the NOA from the AOS filing (which you probably do, since you have a Bio appointment) your status is "applicant to adjust status".

You do not need an extension for the I-94.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi

Thank you

If you have the NOA from the AOS filing (which you probably do, since you have a Bio appointment) your status is "applicant to adjust status".

You do not need an extension for the I-94.

Thanks! Hopefully everything turns out well

• 2 years later...

StateSide,

Just a suggestion - include a copy of the change of address forms with the AOS packet to show that you are sending them, even though they are late. I sent my husband's change of address last year when we moved, but didn't realize I had to send one for myself. I found out about it as I was assembling my ROC packet. I quickly sent out the change of address form (with apologetic cover letter) that day, and finished the ROC packet to send the next day - and included a cover letter explaining why I sent the change of address form late, a copy of the change of address form, and even copies of the mailing receipt for good measure. I figured it can't hurt.

As far as the social security office, I can't figure out why they didn't let her get a new card with her new name.... I hope someone else can help you with that one. My SO got his card before the wedding, too, but he didn't have to worry about changing his name...

Good luck!

venusfire

This is just an info for our VJ members, the reason why the OP got her change of name denied is that the I-94 expiration date is within 2 weeks. If you go to SSA and apply or change name and your I-94 is going to expire in the next 2 weeks, they will deny it. They will not change your name nor give you a SS number(for initial SSN applicant) until you get your green card.

So, the OP here can definitely change her name to married name when she gets his/her Green Card. :)

event.png
Our I-129F Journey

7/1/2011.. NOA1 receipt date
7/9/2011.. NOA1 Hard Copy Recieved
11/14/2011.. Approved NOA2 recieved via email/text
11/22/2011.. NVC forwarded Approved I-129F Petition to US Embassy Philippine
11/29/2011.. US Embassy in Manila Recieved our Petition
1/20/2012.. Medical Exam (Passed)
2/28/2012.. Interview! Approved!
3/1/12... CFO counseling Done!
3/7/12.. Visa on hand
3/10/12... POE @ Honolulu, HI.. Yeheeeeeey!
3/31/12... Wedding <3 <3 <3
Adjustment of Status Journey
4/24/12... AOS Mailed
4/30/12... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of AOS & EAD receipt
5/7/12... AOS/EAD NOA1 Hard Copy Received
6/11/12... Biometrics Appointment
6/22/12... 2nd Biometrics appointment scheduled 7/17/12 but walked in in an early date.
6/27/12... Text/Email Received (Card Production for EAD)
7/7/12... EAD Card Received! smile.png Yeheeeeey!

8/13/12... Interview (Approved) email/text received I-485 on card production! smile.png
8/21/12... Green Card on Hand! Yeheeey! Thank God!

Stepson I-130 Petition

12/27/13... Mailed I-130 to Phoenix lockbox via USPS Express Mail

12/31/13... NOA1 Priority Date

1/6/14... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of receipt. LIN****** case number assigned & routed to Nebraska Service Center

1/11/14.. NOA1 Hard copy received

1/17/14... Petition approved! Notification received via email/text (Thank God. 17 days only)/Approved petition mailed to Department of State! Notification via text/email

1/23/14... NOA2 Hardcopy recieved

NVC Stage

1/29/14... NVC received approved petition

3/7/14... Case Number Assigned (MNL**********)

3/11/14... Received AOS bill & Paid AOS/ Submitted DS-261

3/17/14... Mailed AOS Package

3/18/14... Forgot to Sign the I-864A, mailed another form with my signature affixed on I-864A

3/25/14... Recieved/Paid IV fee (Mailed DS-260 additional requirements)

3/27/14... Submitted DS-260 Online

Waiting.... Hopefully no Checklist. :)

4/24/14... Case Complete

6/23/14... Interview date! Huraaaay! APPROVED! More Hurray! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just to let people know - this is a 3 year old thread. There is no need to respond to it.

If you have a question or comments about obtaining/changing a SSN please start a new thread in the "Working or Travelling During US Immigration" forum where SSN are discussed. Thank you.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.